Anyone you know have their firearms views change when SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    For thread clarification, SHTF = "S*** hits the fan"

I'm living with my parents for the time being and my sister is still here as well.

The other night at like 3 AM her, my mom, and I all heard a loud crash on our deck outside from three different rooms. It actually woke my mom up.

Anyways my sister comes to the room I'm in while I'm on the computer and asks if I heard it, which I barely did because of the headphones I had on. My mom sends me a text asking if I was up.

Then I heard some more stuff from what sounded like the downstairs walk out or our basement?? So I go upstairs and grab a gun, while my sister calls the non-emergency number for someone to come look around the house.

Funny though because she didn't know that I had any guns (my parents do, and approve), but she was pretty relieved and doesn't complain when the news is on talking about them anymore.

Before this incident she was always in agreement with whatever anti-gun legislation was mentioned on the TV.

And no, nothing happened. Not sure what the noises were? Our house is haunted, however, if you're one of the believers or not. If you aren't a believer I invite you to stay one night in our basement and see how well you sleep, if at all.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    My wife's views have evolved. She was reluctant and could see the point of view of gun banners. No longer. She is very glad that I have a ways to defend our home. I, for one, do not believe in haunted houses, but I will gracefully decline your offer to sleep in your basement!

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    My wife's views have evolved. She was reluctant and could see the point of view of gun banners. No longer. She is very glad that I have a ways to defend our home. I, for one, do not believe in haunted houses, but I will gracefully decline your offer to sleep in your basement!

When cabinets start opening when you're in a different room and chairs start moving it makes you question your beliefs on it.

All I'm saying...

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Do you live in Gary?
    The exorcisms of Latoya Ammons

But back on point...a lot of our own knowledge comes from our own experiences. If we haven't experienced any reason to need a firearm or weapon (SHTF), we see no benefits of it. Unfortunately our knowledge through conditioning gets the better of us as a species sometimes.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    Do you live in Gary?
    The exorcisms of Latoya Ammons

But back on point...a lot of our own knowledge comes from our own experiences. If we haven't experienced any reason to need a firearm or weapon (SHTF), we see no benefits of it. Unfortunately our knowledge through conditioning gets the better of us as a species sometimes.

Haha, I saw that. No, I live on the north side of Indy.

Pretty sure someone was buried under the house. My parents had it built and we're the first people in, obviously..

When they were digging the hole for the basement they found a pair of really old torn up jeans and a jacket. Had to be way old.

So who knows...

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Haha, I saw that. No, I live on the north side of Indy.

Pretty sure someone was buried under the house. My parents had it built and we're the first people in, obviously..

When they were digging the hole for the basement they found a pair of really old torn up jeans and a jacket. Had to be way old.

So who knows...

Any bones to go with the jeans and jacket?:D

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013

He mentions the possible ghosts in the basement yet, conveniently forgets to mention his creepy uncle Chester.....

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I'll put in my two cents, because I feel like it's an excellent topic, and very relevant in today's world!

I'm the gun guy of my house. My parents were never against the idea of guns, but they never really saw them being a "crucial" part of the home. The idea of Y2K was enough to start my dad down a different path however. He purchased a mossburg 500 in 20 ga, because you know, post-apocalypse, you'll need this stuff. Anyway, along comes little old me. By age 13 I could tell you which country used which firearm during WWII, and now, sheesh, I find it fun to figure out what firearms are being used in the movies and TV shows. Anyway, back on topic.

When I turned 18, I had a nice income for my age, and one summer, I decided I wanted an evil assault people slaughtering rifle. This is when things started to change. At first, the idea of me and an assault rifle scared my mom to death. Eventually, she came around. My dad had not problem with it, and I'm proud to say he is an admirer and, and even buyer, of a few guns himself. He nearly pooped a brick when I came home with my Mosin, he thought it was the most beautiful thing he'd seen in a while.

My parents don't really question my firearm habits. They know why I buy ammo, or a new gun every now and again. They even know why I want to start carrying over the summer. My parents won't admit it, but I feel like they secretly like having a son who know's his guns, and enjoys shooting/spending time with like minded others. It's to the point, where my mom is going out on a limb, and has started talks of getting her LTCH, and a nice pink Ruger LC9 to to go along with it.

Nothing has changed due to a "SHTF scenario", and I fell like that's a good thing. My parents haven't had to be "shocked" into buying what I'm selling. However, if something does go down, it will be all the more reason for my parents to jump on the great bandwagon we have going in the firearm community.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I've seen it happen up close on several occasions and couldn't help but recall that old saying, "There are no atheists in a foxhole." When the SHTF, I think the vast majority of antis/libs/hoplophobes LOVE to see an armed sheepdog running toward the gunfire. They'll get back to their demands for total disarmament and outright repeal of the 2nd when the immediate threat to themselves is eliminated.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have a buddy who told me he doesn't need a gun in the house if somebody breaks in. He has a baseball bat...

I have a feeling if SHTF one night, his opinion may change. I've personally had a knock at the door in the middle of then night a couple times in a town I didn't really feel safe in. I felt much better approaching the peep hole with my .40 than I would ever had with an Easton.

It was kind of comical... One night we had a knock and I went to our front room to look out the window. After a few minutes I hear a whisper, "Psssst, don't shoot. It's just your wife."

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Set the Way-Back machine to 1984, the original release of Red Dawn - There was a total lefty I worked with, totally anti-gun. After he saw Red Dawn his attitude changed BIG TIME! He was glad people had guns and wanted us all to have more guns.

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    Another Way-Back moment, 1989. We had a baby sitter for my son that came to our home early in the a.m. so (my then wife) could go to work.Just happened I had bought my first handgun (ruger MK2) a couple of days before, of course the sitter was to have no visitors while in our home. I got off work early one day came home, to find a truck backed up in my drive next to house, I pulled in grabbed my gun headed to back door. About that time the sitters boy friend came around the corner, scared the bejesus out of him, staring at me with a gun. Needless to say it was her last day on the job for me.And I learned to allways be as ready as possible .

Last edited:

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    I trust you that your house is haunted. I grew up in one. Old Sorority house in Irvington (old rustic part of east side Indy), where butler use to be located.
    House was built in 1899. In the early 1900's a boiler exploded and killed 3 sisters. Yeah.... I was traumatized when I found that out and it explained a lot if what I always heard.
    Bought my first gun when I turned 18 (Remington 597) and whenever my parents weren't home, that little guy was never more than 1 foot from me, along with a meat cleaver. Hah! I don't know what I would have done to a 'ghost," but I was ready to whoop that candy butt.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    In the last six months my wife has teased me about my "friend", as she calls my EDC, to now wanting her LTCH. We live on the southside of Indy, but all the home invasions on northside have really brought her around , to my kind of thinking. Now she also wants an EDC piece.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    I trust you that your house is haunted. I grew up in one. Old Sorority house in Irvington (old rustic part of east side Indy), where butler use to be located.
    House was built in 1899. In the early 1900's a boiler exploded and killed 3 sisters. Yeah.... I was traumatized when I found that out and it explained a lot if what I always heard.
    Bought my first gun when I turned 18 (Remington 597) and whenever my parents weren't home, that little guy was never more than 1 foot from me, along with a meat cleaver. Hah! I don't know what I would have done to a 'ghost," but I was ready to whoop that candy butt.

Yep I know the feeling of keeping 'em close, really because of

In the last six months my wife has teased me about my "friend", as she calls my EDC, to now wanting her LTCH. We live on the southside of Indy, but all the home invasions on northside have really brought her around , to my kind of thinking. Now she also wants an EDC piece.

Got me worried up here.

Hate for them to pick my parents house.

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    One gun club buddy has a wife who was anti-gun until the SHTF. One night with a baby with them in their upstairs master bedroom, they heard a break in down stairs.
    The wife was standing on the bed and while on the phone with the police, the totally drugged up zombie walked up the stairs and right into their bedroom. The husband had his pistol drawn the whole time and kept yelling at and warning the zombie addict to not come in, to not advance, and to not take another step closer.
    Meanwhile the wife was screaming, "Shoot him! Shoot him! Shoot him!"
    But the husband saw how zoned out he was and didn't shoot. Finally with the zombie just a few steps away, he voluntarily got down on the floor to be held at gun point as instructed, and stayed put there until the police arrived.
    And the 1st thing that the cops instructed the husband to do upon arriving was to put down his gun.
    After that the wife was firmly committed to having guns in the house for protection.
    And the husband showed much more restraint than the anti-gun wife would have if she had been the one who was armed.
    He recognized that the zombie wasn't armed when he entered the bedroom, and even though he was clearly warned not to enter, he just didn't have the desire to immediately shoot the unarmed junkie.
    However the wife sure wanted him to pull the trigger. :)

Last edited:

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I know one - me. Until 6 years ago I didn't see why people needed to have guns. I wasn't out there saying we should collect everyone's firearms, I just personally didn't get it. Well, after two guys held knives to my throat and my balls while they robbed me I felt differently. I really didn't know if they were gonna take my stuff and run or cut me open right there. I vowed I would never be that powerless to defend my own life again. Since then I've become a staunch 2A supporter for a variety of reasons but that was the SHTF turning point for me personally. In a way I am thankful, as shooting has become a major part of my life. I love going to new training classes or going to competitions now. I also like knowing that if SHTF again, I know how to defend myself and my loved ones if it comes to it and I don't have to rely on anyone else to do so. It has led to relationships, knowledge, and a new perspective on the realities of the world that most people don't see in their naivete. I never would have had that if it wasn't for those muggers. Thanks to those two a**holes!

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    My ex father in law hated the fact I had guns around me always until he heard when the new year hit 2000 everything would shut down and mass histaria would take over. Then he was well we would just come to your house so you can protect us! I am so glad he's an exfather in law now.

Top Bottom