Anything I need to change on my rifle before the can goes on?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's no rush on this at all since my can isn't due to be in my hands until this upcoming Jan, but I try to think ahead every now and then. Is there anything I need to do to my existing AR-15 to make sure it'll cycle 100% with the can on it? I'm planning on using the can on either a colt 6920 or a PSA dissipator with a mid length gas system.

The can I bought is kestral 556. The first thing to pop into my head was getting one of the flash hider easy on/off kits. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I'd need to do.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    You'll want these things but they aren't required
    Charging handle that directs gas away from your face
    Heavier buffer to avoid bolt slap or bolt bounce
    An adjustable gas block (adjust it to run properly without the can on and with the weakest ammo you might possibly use)

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Not something for the gun, but I suggest a good heat resistant glove. Those 5.56 cans get ridiculously hot pretty quickly and the Kestrel isn't QD, so you'll need to tighten it periodically.

i got a cheap pair of welding gloves and they do the trick (when I don't forget to bring them with me).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If you want the K556 QD kit you'll need to get a Yankee Hill QD flash hider mounted to your barrel.

I was definitely planning on doing that before the can gets here. I figured I'd put one on everything that I'd consider putting the can on.

Top Bottom