• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    You dress the deer in the field before you drag it out, unless you like dragging an extra 60 lbs of guts only to try to find a way to get rid of them at home......You want the game to cool as quickly as possible, this means gutting out and opening it up so air can circulate and cool it. Don't forget to have a hand saw or a knife with a VERY thick backbone as you will need to break/cut the pelvis. Maybe you should opt for the one on one in person instruction or try youtube/google.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    yes deer needs to be bled out, so let it hang.

Irishfan. i personaly do not gut small game in the field. never have. i cary a trash bag with me (so the hair, flees, blood, etc) doesnt get everywhere on the way home, then I gut and cut. i like to let the meet soak overnight in salt water before i cook it too. it draws out the blood.

I remember when I was little my uncles would just bring the squirrels home and then skin them and so on on the back porch at grandmas house. I do remeber being around 4 years old when I first seen one get its skin yanked off:n00b: I wouldn't have guessed you dress the animals in the field but it does make sense...especially on deer.

When you do a deer you usually cut the lower sections of the legs off correct? Also, is the heart of a deer usable? The reason I ask is on Dual Survival I remember seeing Dave always saving the heart of small game to eat. Also, I know people for some weird reason like to eat the brain and heart of cows:puke:

Glock18FA

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    You dress the deer in the field before you drag it out, unless you like dragging an extra 60 lbs of guts only to try to find a way to get rid of them at home......You want the game to cool as quickly as possible, this means gutting out and opening it up so air can circulate and cool it. Don't forget to have a hand saw or a knife with a VERY thick backbone as you will need to break/cut the pelvis. Maybe you should opt for the one on one in person instruction or try youtube/google.

I personally dont like to cut the pelvis open in the field as the meat gets exposed to dirt and leaves.

If you cut a circle around the anus you can pull it all forward out of the cavity with the guts.

Depending on the weather, I like to let the deer hang for as long as possiable to let the meat age.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    we could go hunting together :dunno: :D

Okay, I'm 3 weeks late but....Peppered Racoon does sound pretty good. Not too hard, just have to do it. I wasn't sure how I would take it, but skinned a rabbit without any trouble. I still plan on raising some to eat as some point.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Okay, I'm 3 weeks late but....Peppered Racoon does sound pretty good. Not too hard, just have to do it. I wasn't sure how I would take it, but skinned a rabbit without any trouble. I still plan on raising some to eat as some point.

Ben, you are talking about raising rabbits and not racoons right?:D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Cooking the meat over a fire won't make it safe to eat?
    No, scavengers eat carrion or road kill/rotted meat. There is no limit to the number of toxins they can contain in their blood stream. Cooking over fire is no different from any other method of cooking, just application of heat, unless you cook it to char but that won't be too tasty. While enzymes from the smoke will help flavor and preserve meat they will not eliminate toxins.

Top Bottom