• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Well I'll be danged! BATFE has said that an AOW such as the Serbu Super Shorty, when mounted to a rifle in a configuration like a "Masterkey", does not constitute the making of an SBS. It has long been held in the NFA community that this is a no-no, but apparently BATFE has decided that it is OK. I don't agree with this logic AT ALL, but it's interesting for sure.

Masterkeyletter1.jpg

masterkeyletter2.jpg

masterkeyletter3.jpg

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So does this mean that smart-mouth gun show guy was right and you and INGO were wrong!? :D

That is exactly what that means. :n00b:
    I will also say that, as I mentioned in my first post, this letter is legally incorrect. By the letter of the law, if you attach an AOW 12ga (Serbu) to a rifle, then the AOW becomes shoulder-fired and falls into SBS status. It's not "clear as mud", it's clear as day. :twocents:
    I am happy that BATFE ruled in "our" favor, but I still think they're wrong.

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    That is exactly what that means. :n00b:
    I will also say that, as I mentioned in my first post, this letter is legally incorrect. By the letter of the law, if you attach an AOW 12ga (Serbu) to a rifle, then the AOW becomes shoulder-fired and falls into SBS status. It's not "clear as mud", it's clear as day. :twocents:
    I am happy that BATFE ruled in "our" favor, but I still think they're wrong.

It does seem contradictory, but if you look at it from an overall length point of view, I guess it would not be any more concealable than the 870 or AR it's attached to. :n00b:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Concealability hasn't got squat to do with this. The barrel on the 12ga is only 8", it is a smoothbore and is now shoulder-fired. It meets the definition of a SBS.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The standalone Super Shorty 12ga guns are NFA items called "AOWs". They cannot be SBSs because they are not "made from a shotgun" that's to say that they are made from virgin receivers that have never had shoulder stocks attached to them. This is very important because to legally be a shotgun, it must be shoulder-fired. No stock=no shotgun.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    It's great that Mr. Jack has a letter, but I would never do it myself or advise a customer to do it unless they had their own letter.

Especially with just going on a cut in paste off the internet of a letter they think is real.

Just my two cents.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It's great that Mr. Jack has a letter, but I would never do it myself or advise a customer to do it unless they had their own letter.

Especially with just going on a cut in paste off the internet of a letter they think is real.

Just my two cents.

I totally agree with you Corey. That said, I wouldn't do it even if I had that letter because I believe their opinion is wrong.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN

Just my two cents.

Agreed, Even with the letter it doesn't sound like something I would try. They easily could have misunderstood - would be better to send them a picture of the two side by side in the same photo and ask if you could mate the two. Either way I think that they are wrong.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I totally agree with you Corey. That said, I wouldn't do it even if I had that letter because I believe their opinion is wrong.

Right, caselaw says letters are not a defense to prosecution. It must be designated and published as a ruling to have legal force.

Top Bottom