• ...and so much more!
  • cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch
    Hey All -
    I was looking for a bit of advice here, because I know there have to be a few people that have experienced the same dilemma.

I've already nixed the plans for I had for reloading or keeping a "good deal" of ammunition on hand since there's a clause about flammable material. I figure that I don't need to be out on the street because a nosy landlord found a 4lb lug of W231 and 5000 primers or 2 ammo cans full of 5.56 or 9mm. However, securing the guns is a concern of mine. I was looking into something like these:
    Cabela's -- Gun Vault Gun Safes
    MidwayUSA - Stack-On Security Cabinet 14-Gun Green
    MidwayUSA - Stack-On Security Plus Safe 16-Gun with Combination Lock Green
    to hold the meager collection. I'm thinking something small that will easily fit in the one of the apartment/condo's bedroom closets might keep me from buying too many guns and help in keeping a lower profile (mounting it to the wood then filling in the holes and touching the paint up when the lease was up).

I'm planning on calling the property manager tomorrow to check a couple things and clarify the thing about "flammable materials". I was going to tell him that I'm a competitive pistol shooter, that I keep ammunition for my practice and competition and would this be a problem or breach of the lease.

Is my thinking on the wrong track? I may be overly paranoid about this (it's kept me alive this long though), but any input to the world's newest piece of fresh meat would be welcome.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If it were me. . . I would do a read-through of my lease. Then I wouldn't bother calling the property manager. But I would go with a safe, thereby limiting access to others, such as maintenance men or property owners.

This seem like a case of "better to ask forgiveness than permission".

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    If it were me. . . I would do a read-through of my lease. Then I wouldn't bother calling the property manager. But I would go with a safe, thereby limiting access to others, such as maintenance men or property owners.

I agree. It would be better to be slapped on the hand *if* they found out, than to raise any unnecessary alarms.

cougar_guy04

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Lookin' for Galt's Gulch

The lease says:
    Tenant shall not keep any dangerous or flammible items that might increase the danger of fire or damage on the Premises without the Landlord's consent.

I think your right though . . . keep my mouth shut and noone will know.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I concur with everyone else. If you are a good renter, the only time someone will be in your place is when you need maintenance to fix something.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Guns have been called many things, but a fire hazard is not one that I have heard. I'm an apartment dweller, have a small safe in the closet against the far wall. That is just for myself and security, due to the only conversation I have ever had with the landlord I got the impression that he was very pro gun. I have zero fear that they would care.

I would also not ask if I were you.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Be sure to keep a 5 gallon bucket filled with sand somewhere near by too. Not a lot of "safe directions" when you're in high density housing.

I'd not worry about the firearm or bullets being a problem per the terms of your lease.
    Reloading supplies are another story however.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I'd not worry about the firearm or bullets being a problem per the terms of your lease.
    Reloading supplies are another story however.

The way I understand it, rounds of ammunition may cook-off in a fire, but don't pose any real threat.

Gun powder and/or reloading supplies are probably a different story due to some components being more flammable than others. I'm not a reloader so I'm not 100%.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Locking cabinets are okay for deterring small children, but not thieves.

I'd go with a real safe/vault and make sure you bolt it securely to the floor.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Locking cabinets are okay for deterring small children, but not thieves.

I'd go with a real safe/vault and make sure you bolt it securely to the floor.

and one that he wouldn't drop a nut getting into the apartment.....once I'm done moving around, I'll get one bigger than a phone booth....:)::):

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    First of all: Get a renter's insurance policy, preferably one with a "full replacement value" clause. Don't ask how I know; it's still too painfull and infuriating to think about.

Secondly, If you opt for a 'security cabinet' over a 'real safe' get one that has the provision for lagscrewing it to the wall studs and/or floor. Even a medium-large cabinet filled to capacity can be removed with an appliance dolly in fairly short order. The idea is to make the process as noisey and time consuming as possible in hope that a potential thief will opt not to try very hard.

If you want a 'real safe' that : 1; Won't give you a hernia getting it in position. 2; Is heavy and solid enough to make moving it intact too big a job for 1 or 2 persons, even with a dolly. 3; Made of thick enough plate to be highly drill resistant. And 4; Easily repositioned or moved to a house or other dwelling in the future, check out Zanotti Armor's products.

They are fairly expensive initially, but have some unique features which compensate for it in the longer run, especially if you may be moving fairly often over the years.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The lease says:

Keep your mouth shut or all your **** will be gone. Tell yourself that every day.

Then, read, memorize and internalize "out of sight out of mind." This applies to any all movements you make with your stuff AND how you store it. Example: a cheap stack on cabinet is great for powder and ammo. If the landlord sees it he will just assume guns are in it. But, he should not see it as it should be out of sight.

Carrying your guns to and from the car should be done discretely.

Renters insurance costs more than homeowners because renters get robbed more. Just today my Mom was a bit surprised by my renters premium compared to the level of coverage she has for her home. Small price to pay for a divorce and a better life.

If you can't afford a big safe, get two stack ons and lag screw to the wall and or floor. I still have my first one, you can always find a use for them.

Keeping your guns and ammo is a mind set, assume everyone is going to steal your ****. Stand across the street, in your driveway and outside your windows, what do you see?

Don't discuss your gun stuff with anyone but your gun buddies. Just like the 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon, you may be surprised to find just how close you are to thieves and junkies who need money. Fire hazard is a non issue.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    The lease says:

I wouldn't have signed that lease... that could mean finger nail polish remover, glue, candles, cotton balls, lighters, matches, starter fluid, good alcohol, rubbing alcohol, so on and so forth.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Has anyone looked at Indiana law?

My understanding is one of the sweeping firearms law changes made in Ohio recently prevents Apartment Complexes from preventing private firearm ownership by tenants.

A lot of the new laws going into place in States like Ohio and Georgia ARE modeled after Indiana firearm laws. Might be worth another check.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Keep your mouth shut or all your **** will be gone. Tell yourself that every day.

Then, read, memorize and internalize "out of sight out of mind." This applies to any all movements you make with your stuff AND how you store it. Example: a cheap stack on cabinet is great for powder and ammo. If the landlord sees it he will just assume guns are in it. But, he should not see it as it should be out of sight.

Carrying your guns to and from the car should be done discretely.

Keeping your guns and ammo is a mind set, assume everyone is going to steal your ****. Stand across the street, in your driveway and outside your windows, what do you see?

Don't discuss your gun stuff with anyone but your gun buddies. Just like the 5 degrees of Kevin Bacon, you may be surprised to find just how close you are to thieves and junkies who need money. Fire hazard is a non issue.

Absolutely right! Landlords, maintenance and service people, friends, kids, neighbors, are all subject to suspicion. Even a casual, innocent comment from them can travel down the line to thieves of all sorts.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Absolutely right! Landlords, maintenance and service people, friends, kids, neighbors, are all subject to suspicion. Even a casual, innocent comment from them can travel down the line to thieves of all sorts.

I will never live in an apartment... becuase one morning I was half asleep at my friends apartment, watching tv... when I hear the maintenance person let himself in (note they did not have any maintenance scheduled), he said "hello?" and I didn't respond and played opossum... he proceeded to open up their fridge, and started to fix himself something to eat till I asked what the hell he was doing and he was like "uh we uh got a call about the fridge" I went and woke my friend up, he called the office, and they said "Oh I'm sure it was a misunderstanding" and they, as far as we know, didn't do jack to the maintenance guy... as he was still there a year and a half later when they moved out of that complex.

Top Bottom