• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't know there was a Russian spacecraft trying to land on the moon at the same time, trying to bring lunar rocks back before the USA ha crazy hearing how important beating the Russians was, Cronkite talking about how Russia hasn't congratulated us and didn't carry the landing stream live though it was made easily available to them.

I am not sure but did that Russian craft never return. Possibly augured in.
    Those were crazy times. The cold war was being fought for real in the skys of the NAM. The country was being torn in two not unlike now. The race to the moon was a sanity break.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    US and USSR had both made several unmanned attempts. Each had failures at various stages including launch, failure to orbit, hard landings. Each had had a couple of successful soft landings. As far as I know, they were way behind on a manned landing, though.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's been said by others but we really need china or Russia to start trying to get to Mars. Something to motivate us. Or even just go back to the moon, that seems like it would still be a huge deal.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Fran Blanche has a set of videos where she's working on a project to duplicate just the display on the DSKY. Lost technology.

[video=youtube;UjcfepTdvZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjcfepTdvZI[/video]

It was not a set of 7-segment LEDs, it was something completely else.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Happy Birthday Apollo Studio

XiLXiJR.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There is a ton of pride watching the celebrations knowing that the slide rule on my dining room table was used by my father when he was on the Portable Life Support System (PLSS) design team. Dad was holding his breath waiting for them to put the EVA suit on and the instruments confirmed it was working. There were a lot of no warning trips to Texas back then.

Wish he was here today to join the celebrations.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Since Nat'l Geo and Discovery Channels seem to be "reality" stuff, here's some info you might like.

[video=youtube;8dpkmUjJ8xU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpkmUjJ8xU[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's a "real time" Apollo 11 mission experience.

https://apolloinrealtime.org/11/

I think this is an improved version that was there ten years ago, but it looks improved as there's all sorts of different audio channels that you can listen to.

Well, it's a bit late for this, as they're on their way home now, but still cool, and you can always "back up" to the launch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Since Nat'l Geo and Discovery Channels seem to be "reality" stuff, here's some info you might like.

[video=youtube;8dpkmUjJ8xU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dpkmUjJ8xU[/video]

If you are ever close to the cape you need to visit the building housing a complete Saturn V vehicle. It is on its side in the stages sectioned out for you to see. The lunar modules as well. Those men flew to the moon in a phone booth with an on board computer that is seriously lacking. Landed. Took off. Found and rendezvous with the orbiting vehicle and made it back home.

Top Bottom