• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pindctr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Anyone have experience with appealing an NICS denial? There's a snafu with my records and I can't get it straightened out by myself. The State issued a Lifetime carry permit to me but the Feds say I can't buy a gun. An attorney referral would be great.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had the same thing happen to me cuz some asshat stole my ID, You can apply for a PIN and that would speed things up you send in a finger print form (completed) and they do a Background check and send you a PIN, then when ever you decide to buy from a gun store, when filling out the 4473 you put the PIN on a certain line , and when called in the store gives them the number and you get cleared.....IT SUCKS,AND THE GUY WHO STOLE MY ID I HOPE HE ROTS IN HELL .......... but thats what it takes, I too have my LTCH for Indiana, I prefer private transfers but I am ok with store purchases too

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    My wife works in Dispatch she says:

Go to the State House and get a Full Criminal History, Find out who has the record flaw. Try to clear it up at the local level. If that doesn't work Talk to the state police and find out what proper channels to go through from there. Almost any attorney can help, but unless your independently wealthy like myself I'd attempt to figure it out myself first.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yes, but not legal to carry it without NICS approval.
    Not true. You can carry any legally owned gun and that includes any guns you buy from a face to face transaction. If you cleared the background for your LTCH then you meet the criteria of a "proper person" and can carry any gun you own. NICS checks mean nothing where your rights are concerned. Buy face to face and avoid the hassle, until you get the NICS crap cleared up.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Get in touch with the BATFE and start the individual PIN number process.

It'll take a bit of time, but once you have that PIN, you put that on all the forms 4473 you fill out and it should clear things up.

And mrjarrell is entirely correct about carrying a firearm w/o NICS check. Don't know where you've heard that tidbit of "information", but A) forget it, and B) don't listen to that source any more.

-J-

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    I know my local dealer has forms he gives to people that are denied for no reason that gives the way to go about getting it taken care of the right way. :)

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Not true. You can carry any legally owned gun and that includes any guns you buy from a face to face transaction. If you cleared the background for your LTCH then you meet the criteria of a "proper person" and can carry any gun you own. NICS checks mean nothing where your rights are concerned. Buy face to face and avoid the hassle, until you get the NICS crap cleared up.

+1:yesway:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    My VAF paperwork to get my UPIN took 157 days from the day I mailed it till I got it back in the mail.

And as others have said, if you have a Valid LTCH then you can carry any legally owned firearm. You could even get denied on one gun, turn around the same day and get approved on a different one. The check is not exactly consistent...

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Voluntary Appeal File. You can order the kit online from ATF. You will get a set of prints taken and eventually be issue a UPN #.

NICS has to delete all info within 24 hours. So when they do an instant background check and find something, they deny you and that's that. A Voluntary Appeal File will allow them to KEEP the information you provide which will point to the problem in you file. This will let them see what the deal is without delay or outright denial, unless there is something in your file that still keeps you from buying. Old traffic warrants that people don't even know about are one of the most common things.

Top Bottom