• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Do you ever worry about how you dress or carry yourself? I know a lot of people wont wear firearms related clothing Nra ball caps etc.But it seems most people are so far into their phones etc they hardly even notice another person. So do you worry about wearing cargo pants and an untucked shirt? I can generally spot someone who is carrying. So it got me to wondering if other people do the same?Where I live its not uncommon to see an open carrier. Unfortunately is usually in the form of an ill fitting nylon holster. So I wonder if the average person would benefit from some type of weapon retention training? Aside from being aware what do you do to try and avoid problems?Thanks

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hell, most people dont even notice you exist, let alone notice what you are wearing. I cant tell you how many times I have OCed and 90% of the people didnt even notice me, and 9% of the rest didnt notice the gun on my hip.

Dont even think about it.

And if they notice your lump and ask? "Colostomy bag. Want to see?" Im sure would make them move along quickly.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    M-F: Dress pants, dress shirt, and OC Glock 19 in leather holster.
    Sa-Su, or days off: Usually a gaming-related t-shirt, jeans, and OC Glock 19 in leather holster.

I probably wouldn't wear any NRA clothing or advertisement. I'd be ok with a gun-related t-shirt... but I'd probably CC then. Don't want to over-do it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do you ever worry about how you dress or carry yourself?

Yes, I am an adult. Every day one should worry about this.

I know a lot of people wont wear firearms related clothing Nra ball caps etc.

Don't wear ball caps, but as long as it is clean, no harm.

All that Tactical Practical crap is brewed up by the Charge of the 300 that must have something to talk about.

So do you worry about wearing cargo pants and an untucked shirt? I

I'm not 12 so my shirt is tucked in, but cargo pants are the style at the time. As long as they are clean.

So I wonder if the average person would benefit from some type of weapon retention training?

More education the better. When would someone say they want fewer hours of training? A kid maybe?

Let's work to make gun school an above the line tax deduction.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't wear anything that identifies me as a LEO (except I will wear my Jason Fishburn IMPD hat on occasion) when off-duty and the clothing you speak of as "tactical" flags me as LEO. So not a single piece of "tactical" clothing unless I'm teaching at the range, even then it's not common.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Do you ever worry about how you dress or carry yourself? Sure. But every time I share on INGO that people who carry handguns in public ought to maintain a presentable image I get criticized.

I know a lot of people wont wear firearms related clothing Nra ball caps etc. But it seems most people are so far into their phones etc they hardly even notice another person. So do you worry about wearing cargo pants and an untucked shirt? I only wear my NRA instructors hat or INGO hat to the range. I usually don't wear cargo pants but I do like them and will probably buy some more. Cargo pants seem to be acceptable fashion right now. I usually tuck my shirt in and when carrying a gun I usually opt for a cover garment. I like my Eddie Baurer lightweight travel vests and Columbia fleece vests. I also do the under shirt with untucked polo from time to time since that is acceptable casual fashion. Generally speaking my rule is that if you carry wear a shirt with a collar. When running around looking like a slob I downsize my pistol. Subcompacts are grass mowing guns.

I can generally spot someone who is carrying. So it got me to wondering if other people do the same? Only if they are carrying a gun themselves. The non gun carrying public is clueless.

Where I live its not uncommon to see an open carrier. Unfortunately is usually in the form of an ill fitting nylon holster. So I wonder if the average person would benefit from some type of weapon retention training? I want to comment on this but not going there. All training is good and you can never have enough.

Aside from being aware what do you do to try and avoid problems? Don't do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    First off, Thank you OP for mentioning weapon retention. To me, retention training is equally as important as ranGe time. Unfortunately its something that rarely comes up in discussion. Even more unfortunate, is that too many people have no idea just how quickly someone can take your open carry from you before you even realize it happened.

As far as how I dress, I guess casual and clean, never with any identifying logos, especially no firearm logos, or something that would let everyone know what I do for a living. Its just one more thing that keeps me from sticking out in a crowd. I make sure I never print before leaving the house. I do my best to make sure I leave almost nothing for a bad guy to pick up on and plan for. Even those closest to me have no idea how many weapons I have on my person at any given time. Thats just the way I like it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Everyone is different and everyone has their own ways they think are best. Most of the time I'm wearing jeans and a firearm related T-shirt. I almost always have on my INGO ball cap. If it's warm enough I wear shorts, again with a firearm related T-shirt and my INGO ball cap. I'm usually a day or two off of clean shaven, unless I'm heading to work, in which case I'm wearing business casual. I don't think it's anyone else's damn business to tell me what I should or shouldn't wear. There's being cautious and there's being paranoid. I'm usually just cautious.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Everyone is different and everyone has their own ways they think are best. Most of the time I'm wearing jeans and a firearm related T-shirt. I almost always have on my INGO ball cap. If it's warm enough I wear shorts, again with a firearm related T-shirt and my INGO ball cap. I'm usually a day or two off of clean shaven, unless I'm heading to work, in which case I'm wearing business casual. I don't think it's anyone else's damn business to tell me what I should or shouldn't wear. There's being cautious and there's being paranoid. I'm usually just cautious.

Probably right. Most people don't pay attention anyway.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Cargo pants are never acceptable ADULT fashion. If you're carrying a handgun, hopefully you're an adult?

Cargo pants are fine for being practical when you need to tactical mall ninja, or if you're bushwhacking your way through the amazon rainforest as a mercenary.

They're also fine if you're 12 and need an extra pocket to store your GI Joe action figure.

But make no mistake about it.....Cargo pants have no place on an adult that's not doing some sort of manual labor at that time.

Cargo pants seem to be acceptable fashion right now.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Cargo pants are never acceptable ADULT fashion. If you're carrying a handgun, hopefully you're an adult?

Cargo pants are fine for being practical when you need to tactical mall ninja, or if you're bushwhacking your way through the amazon rainforest as a mercenary.

They're also fine if you're 12 and need an extra pocket to store your GI Joe action figure.

But make no mistake about it.....Cargo pants have no place on an adult that's not doing some sort of manual labor at that time.

Hopefully, this is sarcasm. At least that's how I'm taking it. If not, then wow.

Top Bottom