Appears Unfired- To Shoot or Not To Shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Model 10s are blue collar guns, working guns. To not fire it would just deny it it's self respect :)

Edit: If you feel too guilty to shoot it, I'll be glad to trade you my 6" Ruger Security Six and you can shoot it to your heart's content.... I assure you, it has certainly been fired plenty LOL.

That is a beautiful Model 10, btw.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    TO VOTE: [Please select one from the following.]

_X_ Shoot
    ___ Not Shoot

The numbers are in...shoot it! :D

Really, though, I would suggest that you check the business end of the cylinder very carefully for firing marks from powder burn where scarring occurs from between the distal end of the cylinder and the throat to the barrel. If all 6 holes have burn marks, I would go ahead and shoot it. If only 1 or 2 have burn marks, then it truely is only 'factory fired' and I would keep it that way! Let us know what you find, sir! :yesway:

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I know how you feel. Everyone told me to shoot my baby ( Kimber ) too.
    I just can't help myself...I will shoot it and you should too!

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    Shoot it. If you want an investment.... Give me $1,000.00 and 20 years from now I'll return to you $2,000.00. There is a better investment then you are hoping for in that gun, and at the end of the day that $2,000.00 will be worth the same or less than the $1,000.00 is right now. If you were talking about something that would appreciate to $10,000.00 it may be something to think about.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    While I think that K frame Smiths are among the best manufactured handguns in the history of man, it's still at this point a shooter. If you got a good deal on it, I'd try and sell it to make a little money and buy yourself a nice shooter, maybe a K-15 so you've got adjustable sights. Now, if this were a pre-Model 10 or even a Target model hand ejector and was unfired in the box, then yes, I'd say don't touch it. I've had guns with some collector status that were much more valuable than a model 10 and have shot them. take it easy on the old gal, but definately take her out for a good time every once in awhile!

Doug K

jcgonser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Everyone who ever buys a NEW gun gets a box and manuel. So what. You just bought an old model, for what reason. Did you get it to look at or use? As for investment, you may have just paid for someone elses investment. The big question about buying old stuff as investments is can you convince someone in a few years to pay you x dollars for it? Would that be a substantial amount of cash? If not then why tie your money up on a so called investment? Use the gun for why you purchased it. Marvel the item with the kids with stories of the old west or experience it. Either way enjoy!:patriot:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Remember all the guys who cut of 1903a3s, and Mausers because there were to many to be of any value. Look at the value of a original 1903, or K98 today..... Give it 15-20 years and the thing will have value. If you shoot it at least keep it well taken care of.

Just think of all those K98s, 1903s that people cut up.:crying::crying:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    Shoot it...its a model 10....and if you dont have the box, paperwork, etc...the resale wont really change on it if it has a few rounds through it...besides you will LOVE it...

EMC0853

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    I can appreciate both sides of this argument, ah discussion.

I feel I would have to at least shoot it once. Firearms are made to shoot, I really don't think a properly maintained firearm would lose any significant value by using it for it's intended purpose.

Junior26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    I belive guns are meant to be shoot, but if it is something worth collecting I might not shoot it either.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have been in that position myself a few times...what good is it if you don't shoot it? it's not a valuable antique. Shoot it...how do you know it hasn't been shot before?

Top Bottom