• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    When I CC, I have been a Crossbreed Supertuck user. It seemed to be the best thing going at the time, and I've been satisfied with that product and method. I carry various guns that way (.380, 9mm, .40), each in their own custom molded holster, typically at the 3:00 or 3:30 position with a slight forward cant. No complaints.

A couple years ago I read an article by Uli Gephard about Appendix Carry, and he was very sold on that method in the article. While I've never tried it, I'm wondering if those that carry that way could provide comments on some of the Pros and Cons.

The reasons I have never considered it is Comfort and Concealability.

Comfort
    It doesn't look like it would be comfortable when "doing" anything that requires bending or lifting. I can IWB at 3:00 and still do most anything I want.

It doesn't look like it would be comfortable when driving or sitting. I don't want to remove the gun when I'm carrying and in the car.

Concealability
    It looks like it would print to me. I can wear as stated prior and toss on a T-shirt and worse case scenario people may think I have a cell phone there. I have never been outed or told I'm printing, even by those that know I routinely carry.

What is your personal experience with the Appendix Carry position?

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    My biggest problem is that with an appendix holster I can't even tie my shoes. The left shoe isn't a problem, but I can't get to my right foot at all. My job requires me to bend and kneel down and I cannot do that with an appendix carry holster. Besides that I don't like the idea of a gun being pointed at my femoral artery.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    When I CC, I tend to carry IWB appendix about 98% of the time. The reason is that with the small Galco IWB holster I use, I can sink my 1911 government model .45 deep in that position and it is invisible. I can take it all the way down until my pants hit the grip. It is deep cover. It is also the fastest and easiest to draw from. For instance, no need to push back a shirt or coat AND lift the t-shirt. I just use a semi-loose fitting t-shirt untucked and it seems to work well. With another unbuttoned shirt or a windbreaker you can forget about it, it is invisible.

driving in town doesnt bother me too much but if on a long drive, i tend to pull it or switch to another position.

Most people, when looking for a "print" wiill look to the 3:00 (and 9:00), 5:00 (and 7:00) positions and small of the back. Rarely will anyone look at the appendix position (perhaps because you dont want to be staring at someone's crotch to see if they are "printing" LOL...

With a smaller pistol (commanders, officer models, ultra-compacts, etc) IWB appendix is INVISIBLE.

ADVICE: as with anything you use, practice, practice, practice....you dont want the bad habit of wiping off the safety while grabbing your pistol grip tight and run the chance of an AD/ND in your pants. Also, just like carrying it CC in any other position, dont forget that when you lift your arms high, you expose it...sometimes more so than if it were in the 4:00 position.

GONZO!!!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    When I CC, I have been a Crossbreed Supertuck user. It seemed to be the best thing going at the time, and I've been satisfied with that product and method. I carry various guns that way (.380, 9mm, .40), each in their own custom molded holster, typically at the 3:00 or 3:30 position with a slight forward cant. No complaints.

A couple years ago I read an article by Uli Gephard about Appendix Carry, and he was very sold on that method in the article. While I've never tried it, I'm wondering if those that carry that way could provide comments on some of the Pros and Cons.

The reasons I have never considered it is Comfort and Concealability.

Comfort
    It doesn't look like it would be comfortable when "doing" anything that requires bending or lifting. I can IWB at 3:00 and still do most anything I want.

It doesn't look like it would be comfortable when driving or sitting. I don't want to remove the gun when I'm carrying and in the car.

Concealability
    It looks like it would print to me. I can wear as stated prior and toss on a T-shirt and worse case scenario people may think I have a cell phone there. I have never been outed or told I'm printing, even by those that know I routinely carry.

What is your personal experience with the Appendix Carry position?

You got it totally backwards.

Its the most comfortable and concealable way to carry a gun.

What it isnt is safe.

I go it with a 8 shot 2.75 inch n frame 357.

Its a very safe gun.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Appendix can conceal very well for some people, and some find it to be very comfortable. I am not one of those people. It is very body-type dependent, and it's not even a matter of being too fat or skinny. If you can do it, it is a very fast draw, offers good retention and access with both dominant and support hand. There are no safety concerns with a proper holster and training

Personally, it makes me squirm like a crack baby, so I don't do it.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I find it to be very comfortable and very concealable. An additional "pro" for me, and maybe for some others who are either getting older or are tight in the shoulders: I find the draw from AIWB is MUCH easier for me than from 3-4-5pm positions. For me, there's also the "pro" of being closer to where I tend to keep my hands. Everyone's different and has different mannerisms, but my hands are generally closer to the pistol when it's AIWB. Retention, as was previously mentioned, is another selling point for me.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've come to really like apx carry lately. been using a G19.

I holster the gun, THEN put the holster on (esp since the glock has no safety or hammer to ride).

Worn low, the gun hides better than any other position I've tried (incl 642 in the pocket). It requires long shirts to prevent it showing if I raise my arms at all (also important for concealing the belly).

When sitting, I reach down to the muzzle end of the hoslter (yes, down there, as if adjusting "myself") and push it up so the grip gets in front of my [oversized] gut, and it's perfectly comfortable to sit, drive, tie shoes, etc. And seated (eg in the car), it's very easy to draw from, where 3:00 or pocket can be almost impossible sometimes.

Be very smart when you holster, use a quality holster and pistol, and there should be no safety issue.

The position is great for retention, and in a crowd I don't have to be concerned about or bothered by people bumping it. They are much more likely to bump your sides than your personal space... Unless you hang with THAT kind of crowd...

-rvb

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    On a couple occasions at the range I have carried AIWB at 10-11:00. I had my Taurus 24/7 OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa at 03:00 and wanted to have the Taurus 709 available for use if needed when the 24/7 was empty, or for other reasons. I only did it as a convenience on the spur of the moment. Yet, it was so comfortable I just left it there.

I found that to be a very comfortable carry position. I carried it there until i got back to the house, and even around the house. The second time I even did a few draw and fire drills with it there. I found better in many ways than the 03:00 carry. The weapon is more readily available. My hands are normally at my waist for other reasons, so moving to draw is not recognized as quickly as with the 03:00 draw. I can get the weapon out and on target much quicker since I do not have to raise my elbow to an unnatural height as with the "normal" carry. If I cant the holster (High Noon tuckable) back a bit, opposite of a normal cant, I find it very comfortable and useable.

The only negative is having that piece pointed at the femoral artery. I was very uncomfortable with the idea of a G19 or 26 at that position, but with the Taurus models, both of which have external safeties, I believe the risk is reduced to manageable/acceptable levels. I can see this as an EDC option.

I believe even that last concern, the femoral artery, could be eliminated with a holster designed to be appendix-carried OWB at 10-11:00 with the weapon parallel to the belt, or with the barrel only slightly lower than the grip, i.e. with a mild downward cant—similar to a cross draw. I have seen old photos of cowboys, especially Texas Rangers, carrying this way—especially when mounted on their horses. I can see this as a viable option.

I realize this would mean that folks around me would be swept by my weapon on a regular basis, as is done with many types of shoulder carry rigs. However, I am more concerned with my own safety (that is why I carry in the first place), than with sweeping the crowd with a holstered pistol most will never see or notice. I can see this as a viable option, but I have not tried it yet.

FYI, I do not value an appendix-carry at 01-02:00. I have found that awkward and uncomfortable.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I was remiss in not requesting brands and models of the AIWB holsters you may be recommending if you carry this way.

I'm a huge Kydex fan and somehow see that option not the best for this method of carry.

If I decide to give this a try, it would be with a Baretta Nano (9mm).

Recommendations on a holster?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I was remiss in not requesting brands and models of the AIWB holsters you may be recommending if you carry this way.

I'm a huge Kydex fan and somehow see that option not the best for this method of carry.

My favorite, so far, is a Dale Fricke Archangel. Second place is a Raven ACR. I've tried some others and haven't been happy with them.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012

Probably the best setup for AIWB is the Desbiens #4 Hardcore. Like I said, I can't do AIWB, but I know a lot of guys who use that rig. It is a bit pricey if you aren't sure that AIWB is for you.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I am an AIWWB convert. For many years I played the you'll shoot your junk off card, and avoided it, then I tried it, then I drilled with it, then I pressure tested it in FoF evo's with guys trying to knock my head off. You know what, the experts I had been talking with were right, it is faster, easier to access in a contact distance fight, and easier to defend in case the bad guy finds the gun before you've made a window to present.

I converted about 3 years ago, and never looked back. I still have many, and run the occasional belt rig when teaching, but when it comes time to put on a rig to go out in public, it's nearly always and AIWB.

I've tried several rigs, I will saw that AIWB is one of the more holster dependent carry methods out there. It is also body type dependent. If you are very short torso'd, and have a bit of a paunch, it can be very difficult to find something that works well, and feels comfortable. For me, I'm tall, and don't carry much extra weight, so I've got a bit more leeway.

Others have stated some very nice gear, Raven ACR, Archangel, Desbiens. I would add the Raven VanGuard 2 to the list, although you're going to need a training holster because it's just not a great option for repeated drilling. I had a chance to play around a bit with the Keeper's Concealment holster called The Keeper. This seems like it will be a front runner in the AIWB market, and several guys who's opinion's I trust greatly say it's great kit. Having said that, mine is not here yet but will be shortly for some T&E. I'll be sure to update you once I have a chance to run it through some paces.

Just something to keep in mind, extremely short barreled pistols don't tend to sit well in AIWB, I've noticed this with standard IWB as well, just not as pronounced. The short barrels tend not to have enough mass below the belt line to remain stable, and if you combine that with a bit of a spare tire, they tend to want to push out at the top away from the body and print a bit. The keeper is the first AIWB that I've seen to take this into account and correct for it. That's one reason I'm excited to try it out.

Just my thoughts from a few years at it, YMMV.

Tinman....

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I've seen people with both body types that have issues with it. Really, it's just something you have to try. I'm half tempted to give it a try again with all the new AIWB holsters out there to see if there's one that works for me...that does get expensive however and being a lefty i'm a bit limited when it comes to borrowing them from friends to try.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I carry a DAO sp101 (hammerless) appendix.

It is the most comfortable and concealable way for me to carry.

The only problem I have found is the fraction of a second longer it takes for presentation, (lil bit of a beer gut) practice helped.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I don't like it because the gun is always pointed at someone(YOU), especially during the draw under stress where there could be a ND. Your junk and femoral artery are in the immediate vacinity which is bad news should there be a ND. Even if it doesn't hit, muzzle blast is a beotch.

You sweep yourself with every draw.

I like to pee standing up, like a man.

I have some chub around the waist and it wouldn't work for me at all.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Your junk and femoral artery are in the immediate vacinity which is bad news should there be a ND. Even if it doesn't hit, muzzle blast is a beotch.

You're making me nervous!!!!

Still.. my sp101 has a 13# DA trigger pull, and my holster covers the trigger, I can't present the gun with my finger on the trigger until it has cleared my belt.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You're making me nervous!!!!

Still.. my sp101 has a 13# DA trigger pull, and my holster covers the trigger, I can't present the gun with my finger on the trigger until it has cleared my belt.
    The 13# trigger will help. When the gun clears your belt it's still pointing at you though. I would be more nervous with an brass-chucker than a revolver.

Fine motor skills are lost under stress and adrenaline dump. Worried about grabbing the firearm with the whole hand(trigger finger included), that can result in a ND.

To each his own. :patriot:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The 13# trigger will help. When the gun clears your belt it's still pointing at you though. I would be more nervous with an brass-chucker than a revolver.

Fine motor skills are lost under stress and adrenaline dump. Worried about grabbing the firearm with the whole hand(trigger finger included), that can result in a ND.

To each his own. :patriot:

You are correct, it is not a good method for people who aren't confident in their gun-handling skills.

Top Bottom