• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    just recently learned that there is such a thing as an appendix carry, and holsters for this position. ive been carrying for about 5 years now, and never knew there were holsters made specifically for carrying "appendix". it just seems unsafe to me.

does anybody carry their gun in this way? first thing that comes to my mind would be the close proximity of my handgun, and my manhood...

any info and personal experiences would be great.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I started carrying this way about two years ago and I love it. There is definitely appendix specific gear. Most people try it without said gear and are turned off of it because of comfort issues. I find it very comfortable, even when sitting. I don't understand the whole safety argument with it either. Modern guns don't go off by themselves, keep your finger off the trigger and you'll be fine. I haven't shot my junk off yet and I've never heard of a case where someone (with proper gear and training) has. I carry spare mags the same way.

2u5rjir.jpg

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    I started carrying this way about two years ago and I love it. There is definitely appendix specific gear. Most people try it without said gear and are turned off of it because of comfort issues. I find it very comfortable, even when sitting. I don't understand the whole safety argument with it either. Modern guns don't go off by themselves, keep your finger off the trigger and you'll be fine. I haven't shot my junk off yet and I've never heard of a case where someone (with proper gear and training) has. I carry spare mags the same way.

2u5rjir.jpg

+100. I appendix carry 99% of the time with no issues. It has some advantages that make it my primary carry method. Dale Frick's Archangel holster or bust. Whats your setup hpclayto?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Wow, two already........ this thread needs a poll.
    I never liked appendix, it was a comfort and a worry thing with me.
    Maybe I'm just being parania.
    I'm strictly 4 o'clock or pocket carry.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    +100. I appendix carry 99% of the time with no issues. It has some advantages that make it my primary carry method. Dale Frick's Archangel holster or bust. Whats your setup hpclayto?
    +1000 The Arch Angel makes appendix carry the most comfortable it can be, and it's super fast to boot!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Appendix carry offers the best concealment for me, but not when sitting or bending over. Ouch! Being female, and wearing lower cut jeans than the guys, I wonder if a different holster would help. At least I don't have to worry about my "junk". ;)

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I have a appendix holster for my sr9c. The safety does add to a little bit of security. I don't always carry my sr9c I mostly carry my kahr. I find it very comfortable and quick especially driving. Check out Cry Havok Gear. He is from anderson. Great CS and fast!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wow, two already........ this thread needs a poll.
    I never liked appendix, it was a comfort and a worry thing with me.
    Maybe I'm just being parania.
    I'm strictly 4 o'clock or pocket carry.
    As far as appendix carry and paranoia, what are you paranoid about? Shooting your junk? I would be more worried about front pocket carry and a femoral shot myself? Way easier to flub a pocket draw, than an appendix draw! If I clip the end of wee willy in an ND, well sux to be me, but if I clip the femoral in a flubbed pocket draw, I'm most likely dead before EMS gets there! I still don't understand the fear or reticence about appendix carry?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    To paraphrase John Hearne (because I can't remember his exact words), its not the odds, its the stakes. Appendix carriers are no more likely to shoot themselves upon drawing or reholstering than anyone else, the problem is what can happen if they do. Appendix carry is inherently more deadly than other forms of waistband carry. It is up to the individual to make the decision. There are things you can do to mitigate the risk to a great extent to include a proper holster, good reholstering methods, and even handgun selection. IMHO, and this is an evolvement in my line of thinking, Appendix carry is not suited for the beginner or casual carrier. I say this after carrying this way myself almost exclusivly for the last ten years and seeing a lot of people in class carry this way. Is it the best way for me to carry? It sure is. It may be the best way for many others to carry as well, but too many start it blind.

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I started carrying appendix after a hurt my back and 4oclock carry became very uncomfortable. I really like the appendix carry and am not concerned about an ND. It only goes bang if you pull the trigger. If you are going to carry in this method or any other method, you should practice your draws with an unloaded weapon until you are comfortable. I find this carry is better, especially when seated in a car. Just follow the 4 safety rules and there wont be a problem.:twocents:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I appendix carry. I use a remora tuckable holster with a sweat guard for my Sig P238. If I get a bigger gun for AIWB I'll look into other holster options, but that set up works perfectly for me.

JR Jan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Indy
    My preference is appendix carry with a DIY kydex IWB holster. Great concealment and comfortable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      457.1 KB · Views: 3
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      488.4 KB · Views: 4

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    To paraphrase John Hearne (because I can't remember his exact words), its not the odds, its the stakes. Appendix carriers are no more likely to shoot themselves upon drawing or reholstering than anyone else, the problem is what can happen if they do. Appendix carry is inherently more deadly than other forms of waistband carry. It is up to the individual to make the decision. There are things you can do to mitigate the risk to a great extent to include a proper holster, good reholstering methods, and even handgun selection. IMHO, and this is an evolvement in my line of thinking, Appendix carry is not suited for the beginner or casual carrier. I say this after carrying this way myself almost exclusivly for the last ten years and seeing a lot of people in class carry this way. Is it the best way for me to carry? It sure is. It may be the best way for many others to carry as well, but too many start it blind.

I completely agree with this.

I have been carrying AIWB for a little over a year now. And I've tried other methods of carry, and I just can't do it. For me, appendix carry is extremely comfortable, and not to mention more comforting.

I use the Dale Fricke Archangel. And I carry a Glock 26, and a Glock 19. (Not at the sametime) I can also carry my Glock 17 comfortably as well.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

This ^^^^^^^^^^^ If I do screw up and pull that trigger ..... at 4 I will probably only scar my beautiful butt a little.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    As I have seen 3 other people mention here, buy an archangel from Dale Fricke. Buy once cry once, they are expensive, but not much and it is the best holster you will find. I carry a 19 appendix everyday. I can even carry a 17 that way... It is the only way I have found to carry a real sized pistol and fully conceal it. Plus its comfortable and I don't really worry about people touching it by accident. Buy the Dale Fricke holster though, you won't be disappointed, and its a small investment if you will carry with it everyday!

seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    I'm very surprised so many people appendix carry. But since it's so popular, I might give it a try.
    I do have a question, what do you do when sitting down? Won't the barrel dig into your leg?

Top Bottom