Apple will be able to remotely shut down your phone when it suits them.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    android-hi.jpg

just sayin'

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Of course it can be done to android phones. It can be done to any device. That's hardly the point. How many companies make phones using iOS? How many companies make phones using some version of android? How many android based phone manufacturers are touting their intention to turn your phone off because you're in or near somewhere "sensitive?"

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    An upcoming anti-terrorism summit, hosted by HALO CORP, will teach police how to remotely track down iPhones and hack into them. They will host a "scavenger hunt" to practice finding citizens' iPhones using tracking technology. They will practice retrieving your passwords, video feeds, audio feeds, and GPS coordinates. Its all listed verbatim in the course description.

The HALO Corporation

579763_431855636851943_219371483_n.jpg

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    LOL, Microsoft, PS3, and Nintendo got into trouble for bricking consoles, the only thing they can do is ban from a network.

If someone jailbreaks and iPhone, then Apple can "ban" you from using the internet/making phone calls. You don't own the operating system, you are agreeing to a contract and their terms. It sucks, but that is the intellectual property rights coming out.

I imagine a lot of jailbreakers would be pissed if they were "banned" for hacking...

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    If someone jailbreaks and iPhone, then Apple can "ban" you from using the internet/making phone calls. You don't own the operating system, you are agreeing to a contract and their terms. It sucks, but that is the intellectual property rights coming out.

I imagine a lot of jailbreakers would be pissed if they were "banned" for hacking...

I don't know what you mean by "you don't own the operating system," but jailbreaking is DMCA compliant regardless of what Apple would have the end user think.

Of course this whole thing can be circumvented by buying an Android Experience phone. They are essentially designed to be rooted, at which point the user has full control. No walled garden approach there.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I don't know what you mean by "you don't own the operating system," but jailbreaking is DMCA compliant regardless of what Apple would have the end user think.

Of course this whole thing can be circumvented by buying an Android Experience phone. They are essentially designed to be rooted, at which point the user has full control. No walled garden approach there.

Incorrect. You do not own the operating system, apple does.

It is the same with hacking an xbox or wii. You can keep your console, or phone. You just will not be able to communicate via standard means.

Just like having a windows COA only authorizes you to run windows, you are essentially renting out the software. At any point for violation of the actual I.P. agreement, your rights to the OS/programs can be pulled.

Like it or not, apple is a control freak; and people with jailbroken devices may. In the future only be able to make pone calls. It sucks, but it is their right as the actual owners of the intellectual property.

You cannot mod or hack the software and expect to get a free pass much longer. When you click "I agree" it is the end all. You can't use it without agreeing, and soon you can't use it while hacked.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Incorrect. You do not own the operating system, apple does.

It is the same with hacking an xbox or wii. You can keep your console, or phone. You just will not be able to communicate via standard means.

Just like having a windows COA only authorizes you to run windows, you are essentially renting out the software. At any point for violation of the actual I.P. agreement, your rights to the OS/programs can be pulled.

Like it or not, apple is a control freak; and people with jailbroken devices may. In the future only be able to make pone calls. It sucks, but it is their right as the actual owners of the intellectual property.

You cannot mod or hack the software and expect to get a free pass much longer. When you click "I agree" it is the end all. You can't use it without agreeing, and soon you can't use it while hacked.

I don't know what post you meant to quote, but none of this addresses my post's content. "I don't know what you mean by 'you don't own the operating system,'" is not a claim of ownership. Software licensing is a now a well-established practice, and the idea that a consumer "owns" commercial software is ludicrous.

Rereading your post, I am completely convinced that you read the first sentence of mine and proceeded to bang out the first rant that came into your head as a response. Obviously this is beyond my control, but if you wish to have a productive conversation it would help to make the effort to read and respond to the other party's actual statement.

I suppose a request for proofreading is a bridge too far, but while we're dreaming correct spelling and grammar would be welcomed as well.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I don't know what post you meant to quote, but none of this addresses my post's content. "I don't know what you mean by 'you don't own the operating system,'" is not a claim of ownership. Software licensing is a now a well-established practice, and the idea that a consumer "owns" commercial software is ludicrous.

Rereading your post, I am completely convinced that you read the first sentence of mine and proceeded to bang out the first rant that came into your head as a response. Obviously this is beyond my control, but if you wish to have a productive conversation it would help to make the effort to read and respond to the other party's actual statement.

I suppose a request for proofreading is a bridge too far, but while we're dreaming correct spelling and grammar would be welcomed as well.

It has nothing to do with legality, a user is in violation of the apple user agreement when a device is hacked or jailbroken. As such, they can remove iOS functionality, but not cellular functionality. JUST like xbox and wii with Jtags, xex booters, skipping hash checks, and homebrew for the wii.

They own the program, and make the rules for it's use. If you violate the terms of use, they can pull a person's permission to use the iOS or service.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

Would just like to point out that perhaps you should take your own advice.

Top Bottom