• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfan

Plinker
    Dec 11, 2008
    Mooresville
    Can anyone please tell me what exactly an appleseed event is? I've heard and seen the term several times lately and am stumped.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    It's a weekend-long (minis are one day) heritage and markmanship learning experience. It's amazing! Feel free to check out my blog below for specifics (ok, my specifics, but specifics nonetheless!).
    Come join us!

DHolder

Expert
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Look at some of the AAR's and read some of the posts. An Appleseed, is a history lesson, with a real good marksmanship class to boot.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Think of it as a marksmanship training 1 or 2 day camp. During breaks you get a great education on the history surrounding the events of 1776.
    ***This second part is worth the cost of admission.
    Appleseed's history component is the grown up version of the watered down Elementary and High School history class.
    In hind sight it would have been best explained to me personally like this: when you were a kid you went to bible school and heard bible stories. They were stories from the bible but they were geared for the audience of kids. As an adult (at least at my church) you get bible study on a much deeper level that includes background, pertinent culture of the times, and information from many sources that give some deeper understanding of the people or subject, even discuss differing views and opinions on what really happened. You at some point realize that the kids stories are purposeful but not the entire story. You also realize that like everything else in life it is a complicated mess and despite knowing you will never understand it PERFECTLY, you will be a better person for knowing it better. It becomes apparent that it is important to be a person who makes it a part of his or her life to pursue knowing it better. I could go on to make a mini rant epic but I have to stop.
    Oh, and deep stuff aside, you get to shoot guns for a day or two straight with the benefit of highly qualified instructors watching over you.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Gunfan: Wow... You've been here since December of 2008 and made less than 50 posts. You'll understand if I'm not surprised I've not seen you on here before. That said, though, I'm glad you came to ask, because asking is the first step to coming out to one of our events. Bear with me, the answer will not be short, but from me, that should surprise no one. :blahblah:
    The answers you got above come from three "shooters" and one (now two!) instructors. We address the history of the founding of our country, focusing specifically on April 19, 1775, the day of the firing of the "shot heard 'round the world". We backtrack just a little from that day to put things in perspective, but our primary goal is to get sleeping citizens off the couch and remind them that they are Americans, with all of the responsibility that that noble appellation carries. As Don said, we also have one great marksmanship clinic; after a day with us, you will have all the "tools" necessary to develop the skills to control the area within a "Rifleman's Quarter Mile" (500 yds) of yourself in any direction, and some shooters on rare occasions come out and put all the pieces together to do that within the first day. (I tell you that so you don't get the wrong impression that this is a task of many years.)

Now, all this talk of Americans and controlling large areas and marksmanship might lead you to think "militia", with all of the ugly stereotypes the media has shown. Nothing could be further from the truth. We want those Americans, once they're off the couches, to be involved in their country and their government via the ballot box and the mailbox and perhaps even the soapbox, so that the ammo box is never, ever needed other than for target practice.

Case in point: After the end of the Continental Congress, the elder Statesman, Benjamin Franklin, was approached on the steps of the building by a citizen who asked him, "What sort of government have you fashioned for us, sir?"

I rue the facts of how few Americans today would dare ask such a question if even they had opportunity to approach such a person (and that presumes that such a man exists in Washington today... We all know there is no such man, alas.) What I regret almost as much is how few would understand his answer, "A Republic, if you can keep it!"

Our Founders were not superhumans, they were men and women who took the time and made it their business to be involved. WE, today, need to do likewise, and that, sir, is what Appleseed is all about.

I would be pleased to see you come shoot with us. There is a post "stickied" at the top of the Appleseed Forum, maintained by our State Coordinator, Techres, with our schedule here in the state, and the national schedule can be found HERE.

If there are any further questions you have, feel free to ask them. If you would prefer to do so privately, feel free to PM any of the instructors whose names appear HERE in red or green.

I sincerely hope this has been helpful.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom