• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    We are 2 1/2 weeks out from the next Appleseed shoot in Nashville. A great range in beautiful Brown County, Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club has hosted Appleseed shoots for several years. I will be helping run things and we have instructors coming in from Kentucky and Ohio to work this event in addition to our own Indiana cadre.

There is still room on the line for you and some friends. Spend the weekend improving your marksmanship and you will also find out what the difference is between a citizen and subject.

C ya,

brian

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Is the match in Nashville or Columbus? Reason I ask is I'm moving to the Bloomington area and am looking for places to shoot. I won't be able to make the Appleseed(or most anything else right now) but I'm looking for shooting opportunities in the area.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Is the match in Nashville or Columbus? Reason I ask is I'm moving to the Bloomington area and am looking for places to shoot. I won't be able to make the Appleseed(or most anything else right now) but I'm looking for shooting opportunities in the area.

it's in nashville but very close to both. Brian Heeter is a member and he lives in bloomington also I believe. He has extremely high praises for the range. I believe you can get out to 200 yards here. covered firing line the whole nine. here is the address and info so you can check it out. Definitely attend the appleseed if you can it's an amazing program.

Appleseed Schedule

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    it's in nashville but very close to both. Brian Heeter is a member and he lives in bloomington also I believe. He has extremely high praises for the range. I believe you can get out to 200 yards here. covered firing line the whole nine. here is the address and info so you can check it out. Definitely attend the appleseed if you can it's an amazing program.

Appleseed Schedule

You don't remember me, but you were helping out one day at the Appleseed my wife and I took at ACC last year. They are great. If I wasn't getting a new job, selling my home and looking to buy another in the next 30 days or so, I would come.:) I'll have to plan on next year.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington

Here's the website for the range in Nashville: Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club HHRP is a great place and I recommend it for anybody looking for a club to join. Club meetings are on the 3rd Thursday of each month. Show up to a meeting, see what we are like and join up. More info if you want to start throwing PMs back and forth.

For the rest of you that don't have house and job distractions...Sign up and see how much you already know and how much you still need to learn. I bet there will be a little of both.

C ya,

brian

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Here's the website for the range in Nashville: Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club HHRP is a great place and I recommend it for anybody looking for a club to join. Club meetings are on the 3rd Thursday of each month. Show up to a meeting, see what we are like and join up. More info if you want to start throwing PMs back and forth.

For the rest of you that don't have house and job distractions...Sign up and see how much you already know and how much you still need to learn. I bet there will be a little of both.

C ya,

brian

Thanks! And I am not sure why anyone wouldn't sign up for an Appleseed. Lot's of shooting, good history lesson and you will learn how to shoot better offhand. Most people have not had training like this.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    With Independence Day almost upon us we should all have our nation's founding on our minds. But what about the people who sacrificed to secure the liberty that we enjoy? They are long gone but we can still honor them by using and protecting their gift to us.

Consider this:

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

Join us in Nashville to find out who said this and under what circumstances.

C ya,

brian

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    slowG,

Go here: Appleseed Schedule for list of the Appleseed shoots for 2014. Click on the one that interests you and you will get everything you need to register. To answer your question specifically it is $60 for the weekend.

I hope to see you next weekend.

slowG

Expert
    Dec 15, 2010
    Thanks, is this mostly for rifles? Not finding a lot of info on what goes on at the event. How much ammo is needed etc.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks, is this mostly for rifles? Not finding a lot of info on what goes on at the event. How much ammo is needed etc.

Yes, Appleseed events are for rifles. This event, being a 25 yard shoot, is really set up for .22's, but anything (within reason) is allowed. You'll probably see an AR or two, and maybe a Garand. At "known distance" events, you'll need some sort of centerfire rifle capable of hitting to 500 yards. The most common you'll see will be AR's in .223/5.56, but you'll usually see some M1's in .30-06, and maybe an M1A in .308. Last year's Atterbury event had some other oddball stuff that held it's own. Semi-automatics are the most popular setup, but people have brought bolt actions and done well. Do not let the fact that you don't own a "preferred" rifle deter you from going. You'll still become a better shooter and learn some history, which is really the point.

Most 25 yard shoots are around 400 rounds total for the weekend. Appleseeds are by far the best use of $60, 2 days, and 400 rounds of ammo you'll find.

You'll need a rifle, a couple of magazines for it, ammo, and a sling. Not just a normal sling used to carry a rifle, but a cuff sling that is used for shooting prone. If you don't have one, the instructors usually have several spares. It might be worth getting a couple of 1 1/4" sling swivels though, as not everyone has multiple spares of those.

Bring water, lunch, a notebook, something to write with, safety stuff (eyes, ears), and an open mind. Anything else is really extra....shooting mat/carpet, chair, etc.

What goes on at the event? Learning how to shoot a rifle accurately and consistently, along with a lot of really good history that you've likely never heard before about the men and women who helped found this country. I'm not a history buff, and I found it all very interesting. I was a pretty decent shooter before my first Appleseed, but learned a TON about very practical rifle shooting.

If you are on the fence at all about attending, don't be. Sign up, go, learn, shoot, and enjoy. I've never heard anyone say they regretted going to an event.

Last edited:

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's Monday! The Appleseed shoot at Nashville is Saturday! Get signed up! Don't have a rifle? Show up anyway and one of the Instructors will let you borrow one of theirs. No .22LR ammo? I've got ammo I will sell you at my cost ($6/100 rounds) so you can shoot this weekend. Just send me a PM or reply to this thread so that we can make sure that you can be accommodated.

Come on out and find out who General William Heath was and did he fight on the side of the colonists or the British?

C ya,

brian

Last edited:

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Only 2 days to go and we still have room on the line for you and couple of your friends. Two days of rifle marksmanship and Revolutionary War history for a [STRIKE]very reasonable[/STRIKE] wildly low price.

See you on Saturday morning!

brian

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    If you didn't get signed up before registration closed this morning, walk-ons are always welcomed. Come join us at a beautiful range with some amazing instructors scheduled to be there.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My sister, bro-in-law & nephew should be there. :yesway:

I was trying to get my daughter there too but she will be out of town. She wanted to whoop her cousin on the AQT. :):

I also tried to lure a couple other people by paying their fee and letting them use my guns and ammo and still couldn't get them to go. Ugh!!!! :noway:

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    My sister, bro-in-law & nephew should be there. :yesway:

I was trying to get my daughter there too but she will be out of town. She wanted to whoop her cousin on the AQT. :):

I also tried to lure a couple other people by paying their fee and letting them use my guns and ammo and still couldn't get them to go. Ugh!!!! :noway:

Keep after 'em, Hop! You'll wear them down eventually.

I hope to see some extra people walking on to join us tomorrow. If you don't have time to stay for the entire day you can still come out and just spectate to see what an Appleseed is like. We'd love to have you.

C ya,

brian

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jun 2, 2011
    I got a crew of 6 total coming from complete novice to somewhat experienced. We registered about a month ago. Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things. Hoping mostly .22 there though especially the first day so the newer ones get accustomed to being at a rifle range, but we'll handle whatever. I had to furnish 4 rifles for our group bu find myself a strap short on a marlin 60 with no studs/swivels do you happen to have a wrap around strap we could use?

Top Bottom