• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got a crew of 6 total coming from complete novice to somewhat experienced. We registered about a month ago. Look forward to meeting new people and learning new things. Hoping mostly .22 there though especially the first day so the newer ones get accustomed to being at a rifle range, but we'll handle whatever. I had to furnish 4 rifles for our group bu find myself a strap short on a marlin 60 with no studs/swivels do you happen to have a wrap around strap we could use?

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. We'll figure something out with the sling. Zip ties are amazing!

C ya,

brian

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    The after action report is up. Check it out here: Nashville, IN July 12-13, 2014

It was pretty hot and humid until it got really humid right at 4 Sunday afternoon when the heavens opened up and poured. It felt great!

Thanks to everyone for coming out, bringing friends and family or sending people to the event. We'll do it again several times this summer at various locations around the state and we are back in Nashville the first weekend in December for some late fall shooting festivities.

C ya,

brianheeter
    Project Appleseed Instructor

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I hear my nephew backed out last minute and a younger nephew subbed into his spot. Sorry. If that hadn't have happened I think the family would have been there both days.

I also hear there was some trouble getting my sister's M&P AR15-22 sighted in. I'm having the same issue with mine. I've done some research and it sounds like accuracy isn't consistent on these. Some good, some not so good. Barrel nut torque, the free float barrel handguard ring, ammo sensitive, a bunch of other little factors. Is that pretty common with these rifles at Appleseeds?

dak109

Expert
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    I had a good time. Would have been a great time if not for the weather. I learned some good stuff about shooting better. Heard some good stories about our Founding Fathers fight for the Freedoms we enjoy today. Met some really nice people. And shot like crap. I have some work to do to figure out what works for me. And some work to do on my rifle. Thank you Rayne for the loaner magazine on Saturday. And all of you were right about the scope being to far back.

forgot to mention the enthusiasm from all involved, especially Uncle Davey. And the help from Kate.

And met Brown and Mrs. Brown, who was very friendly and supportive.

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I had a good time. Would have been a great time if not for the weather. I learned some good stuff about shooting better. Heard some good stories about our Founding Fathers fight for the Freedoms we enjoy today. Met some really nice people. And shot like crap. I have some work to do to figure out what works for me. And some work to do on my rifle. Thank you Rayne for the loaner magazine on Saturday. And all of you were right about the scope being to far back.

forgot to mention the enthusiasm from all involved, especially Uncle Davey. And the help from Kate.

And met Brown and Mrs. Brown, who was very friendly and supportive.

You may have "shot like crap" (likely not all that bad), but I'm guessing you are a better shooter than you were Saturday morning, which is really the name of the game.

Regarding people's generosity and enthusiasm, you won't find more of either one of those traits outside of an Appleseed shooting line. Your experience is not a unique one in this regard.

Keep at it, and get signed up for the next one!

dak109

Expert
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Best AQT was shot Sunday morning. Heat, fatigue and lack of focus came along shortly thereafter. The more I tried to plow through the worse it got. Finally gave up and sat in the shade.

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Best AQT was shot Sunday morning. Heat, fatigue and lack of focus came along shortly thereafter. The more I tried to plow through the worse it got. Finally gave up and sat in the shade.

"Discretion is the better part of valor." I don't know what wise man said that originally but he was, indeed, very wise. It also takes a wise -- and strong -- man to admit that he's reached his limit and take a step back. DAK, my hat is off to you. It was good to meet you and spend time on the line with you. I hope you will make it out again soon.

C ya,

brianheeter

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rickyjohnson111
    Top Bottom