Applying for my 01- anything I should know?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    I just got the application from the BATFE to get my 01 license. It appears to be pretty straight forward but I wanted to ask others that have had the pleasure what to expect. Anything I should do or avoid? You get the idea.

Regards,
    Eric

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    It is an 01 FFL, or as it is more commonly referred to, a dealer's license. I've already got an 03 FFL (Curio and Relic).

Regards,
    Eric

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    First make sure of the zoning laws in your area. They require that you have safe storage, alarm. Indiana requires that you get a license to sell and that has to be approved by you local sheriff not your local PD. You have to get a retail sales certificate and tax ID through the state. Then the worst is you have to allow them access to do inspections of your premise when ever they want. You also have to prove that you are getting an FFL to make a profit and not just to improve your collection. There are probably some other hopes you have to jump through that I forgot to mention.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had mine back in the late 80's. At least back then it wasn't too bad. They do get to do inspections, which I never went through.

I am positive that lots of changes have taken place since then. I ran mine out of my house because I had nowhere else to go. Make sure that when UPS is set to make a drop that you are home, have an outside lock box or do pick-up from them. Scared the crap outta me when I got home from work and a new pistol was tucked between the screen door in a box that clearly stated from a firearms distributor.

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for your responses guys. I currently have a business that this new enterprise could be included under and it is complete with tax ID, etc., that I run out of my house. I will be checking on the zoning laws soon but from what I was led to believe they mostly get in the way when a residential area is zoned for NO business. I already have 3 businesses that I have been approved for, and run, out of my house so I'm thinking that won't be a problem. If they require an alarm system then one will be installed.

I'm not looking to run a real business out of my house in the sense that I'm going to have lots of foot traffic and such. It will be run out of my house as the base of operations with most sales taking place at gun shows and on the internet. I understand that I will need to include business hours on my application but that won't be an issue. As for inspections, I already opened myself up to them, to a lesser extent, by having an 03 FFL. The 01 is a lot more lenient towards the BATFE but I keep immaculate records and so have nothing to fear.

Retail sales certificate is something I'll have to look into as well. Well, like Larry the Plumber says, I'll "get 'er done" soon enough I suppose.

Regards,
    Eric

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Good luck with it...wish you were closer so could use you for transfers. Need to find a friendly FFL holder that will not get ticked off because I purchased online.

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Dudley- Well, if it all works out for me then maybe we can work something out. I'm not opposed to you buying and me holding till it makes your trip worthwhile.

Regards,
    Eric

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The license mentioned above is a license to sell handguns which is approved by your Sheriff and issued by the state. I went to zoning ahead of time, found out what I needed to do and had it all completed and ready to go. Zoning prepared a letter for me stating that I was in compliance with zoning for my intended business which the BATFE told me was very helpful.

I do not have an alarm, didn't have one when they came to do the home visit and was told that it was not an issue. They will want to see where you store your personal firearms and where you store business or customers firearms. If stored together they will want you to mark all of the firearms as being either your personal firearms, firearms belonging to the business or customer guns.

preachere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Thanks Phylodog! I'm going to be in contact with my zoning board on Monday (closed today of course) and will see what they say. I take it that it was a simple matter of either your house/neighborhood is zoned for residential/commercial or it was not, correct? Like I said, I'm already running 3 businesses out of my house so I know that should be OK, unless they have some firearm rule I'm not aware of.

Regards,
    Eric

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Zoning told me that home businesses were allowed where I am but not signage or a public parking lot to handle walk in customers. I don't have either so it wasn't an issue. There was also a restriction on how much of my home I was allowed to use for the business and I had to provide a diagram of my floor plan and show what area(s) were to be used for the business.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The license mentioned above is a license to sell handguns which is approved by your Sheriff and issued by the state. I went to zoning ahead of time, found out what I needed to do and had it all completed and ready to go. Zoning prepared a letter for me stating that I was in compliance with zoning for my intended business which the BATFE told me was very helpful.

I do not have an alarm, didn't have one when they came to do the home visit and was told that it was not an issue. They will want to see where you store your personal firearms and where you store business or customers firearms. If stored together they will want you to mark all of the firearms as being either your personal firearms, firearms belonging to the business or customer guns.

Zoning told me that home businesses were allowed where I am but not signage or a public parking lot to handle walk in customers. I don't have either so it wasn't an issue. There was also a restriction on how much of my home I was allowed to use for the business and I had to provide a diagram of my floor plan and show what area(s) were to be used for the business.

All this is pretty much identical to the process i went through, exept even after i submitted the zoning and got approval the ATF wanted a zoning inspection done.... a week later a zoning person walked into my garage, talked for 2 minutes and walked out, no problems.

Top Bottom