• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Can you guys recommend a book for reference to see what firearms are worth?

I may be buying several different guns, some of which I'm not too familiar with and I want to find fair prices for them. The gun value books I see in Barnes and Noble contain unrealistically high prices.

I have been recommended the Blue Book of Gun Values. What do ya'll think?

I'm looking for specific information. For example, a Browning A-5 from 1963 in excellent condition. I want to be able to look up that type of stuff quickly in a book, instead of researching each and every one online.

Thanks, guys!!

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I search gunbroker when I need to know what the market value is of a gun that I dont know.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have a Colt Cobra 2" 38 spl. in good condition works well. I'm looking for the value of the gun and possibly selling it.

Can anybody help?

King Cobras were all .357s. According to 30th edition(don't have 31st):

Colt Cobra first issue (1950-1972)
    100% 90% 80% 70%
    $850 $325 $275 $200

second issue (1973-1981)
    100% 90% 80% 70%
    $600 $275 $250 $200

add 15% for nickel

But as stated above, Gunbroker will provide you with more accurate current values.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I use the Blue Book along with Gun Broker on a daily basis. I've seen guys get really screwed over in the past year or so because they bought or sold solely on what "the book" said something was worth. Determining the market value will help you in the long run.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info, guys.

To clarify, I have a buddy who is going to be selling several guns due to needing cash. I wanted to have a good idea what some of them are worth in case I'm interested. I haven't actually taken a look so I don't know what all he has yet. He told me about the Browning and some older pistols but I don't know exactly.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Of course, appraising condition is very subjective; and there is more than one rating system out there. Add to that some of us buying off the net have to rely on the seller's competence and honesty. One seller's NRA Very Good, is anothers 90%. What does that mean.

I recently bought a S&W 457 from an out of state dealer who advertised the pistol as 90%. He must have sent me the 80% one by mistake. I told him what I thought, and then he told me what he thought. At the end of the day he had the money and I had a pistol with holster rash. I paid for that lesson.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I have a Colt Cobra 2" 38 spl. in good condition works well. I'm looking for the value of the gun and possibly selling it.

Can anybody help?

You can probably get $400-$500 on a quick sale locally. But some Colt collectors will pay top dollar for a .38 spl. King in 2in w/ box & papers. Your best bet to get top dollar is take very good pictures of it and put it on GunBroker, where you might get up to $600-$700 for it depending on condition.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    As for the 63 Browning A-5 we need more info like gauge, condition & is it a special grade? It's kind of like asking a car dealer, "What's a 2000 Ford 250 worth?"

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    As for the 63 Browning A-5 we need more info like gauge, condition & is it a special grade? It's kind of like asking a car dealer, "What's a 2000 Ford 250 worth?"

Yeah, I figured that. Especially since there were so many of them and different ones.

The only thing I know right now is that he was the original purchaser, it's a 12 gauge and it handles the 3" magnum shells. As far as the barrel length, exact condition, etc, I'm not sure. I'll get all of that info+serial number.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ahhh, I see. What I do when buying guns from friends, or people you want to be friends, is find five prices (Blue Book, the net, gun shop, etc.) and then take the average.

If you are buying several ask for a discount.

It's a fine line. He's a buddy so you don't want to take advantage of him but you still want the best you can get.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    I search gunbroker when I need to know what the market value is of a gun that I dont know.

This is pretty much the most accurate you can get when it comes to values of anything...Find whatever it is, the closest you can get to the exact same thing and the most recent selling price is what it's worth! Easy concept!!!

Top Bottom