April 2nd IDPA shooting footage for analysis (Hardcore BoltThrower)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMichaelB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I was at that match this weekend and also took pov footage of each stage. It's cool, but I haven't figured out how to learn anything from the footage. I can't see the hit locations in the footage, or anything that would help me improve. I'm also curious to see if anyone can offer advice or suggestions.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Biggest thing I noticed was the low reloads which seemed to cost some time. I was taught to square the gun up in front of my face so it looks like a backwards "L" and slam the mag home. While I don't shoot IDPA, I think that would save you some time/fumbling.

Best regards,

Joe

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Biggest thing I noticed was the low reloads which seemed to cost some time. I was taught to square the gun up in front of my face so it looks like a backwards "L" and slam the mag home. While I don't shoot IDPA, I think that would save you some time/fumbling.

Best regards,

Joe

Me too, but that can/will get you DQ'd. You have to keep the muzzle below the top of the backstop for safety.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    You are probably within reasonable driving distance of Aron Bright (BFT training) and SCGC (Mad Max training), the best head start is to go over to the training forum and get hooked up with one of those guys (or maybe there is somebody else who does good work that is closer to you).

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    As your Cso *aka bug eyes* that day I would ask what are you trying to improve? Score or techniques? Score is easy: buy outside waist holster and maybe play around with softer ammo for less recoil. Just standing next to you in almost wonder if you were running +p :) techniques improvements will come through more p4actice and or training. Your shot placement was good...just need to amp up speed. Also, 45 app = cdp for division.

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    I reload that way all the time during matchs and no one has given me grief over it. I understand your point , but as long as a) finger is on side of frame b) drop the release when muzzle is covering berm and most ro are good with it.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Hey Boltthrower I saw you inside the clubhouse with the gopro. I love watching IDPA videos. Thanks for posting these. Someday I'd like to get a camera setup, but for now I want to get my shooting better. -Jason

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    As your Cso *aka bug eyes* that day I would ask what are you trying to improve? Score or techniques? Score is easy: buy outside waist holster and maybe play around with softer ammo for less recoil. Just standing next to you in almost wonder if you were running +p :) techniques improvements will come through more p4actice and or training. Your shot placement was good...just need to amp up speed. Also, 45 app = cdp for division.

BAAAH ! Wrong Mike, a 1911 .45 can shoot CDP OR ESP ! Also the camera jockey will stop unloading like that the first time a primer hits the ejector and blows a finger off. Also, per Atlanta club rules pointing a gun over the berm is a definite no-no.

Last edited:

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    How uplifting. How should I unload?

I could care about uplifting, care a lot about safe, especially at my home club. They showed pictures of several such occurences at the USPSA RO class a few weeks back and I saw a shooter get lucky when it happened at Warsaw last year. Grab the back of the slide and rack the round out on the ground. Yeah, you have to reach down and pick up the round (after you holster), but even if it hits the ejector and goes off (which it still could, but not as easily without your hand over the ejection port) but your digits will be safe.

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    Thanks Mr. Oakes!

My pleasure. I guess you have me at a disadvantage. I thought you were shooting CDP ?

iqfps7.jpg

2vl3cs6.jpg

Ejector detonation - I have more graphic examples but you get the idea.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    BAAAH ! Wrong Mike, a 1911 .45 can shoot CDP OR ESP ! Also the camera jockey will stop unloading like that the first time a primer hits the ejector and blows a finger off. Also, per Atlanta club rules pointing a gun over the berm is a definite no-no.

I thought I read read an article in either the recent IDPA or USPSA monthly magazine about improving reloading techniques and speed. As I recall there was a pic and caption of the author reloading by holding the gun at a 45 degree angle pretty much at eye level. He suggested this would tend to help with magazine insertion and getting the sights back on target more quickly as opposed to lowering the gun to chest or even belt level. However, with that being said , many RO's will call this as a safety violation and some will even DQ the shooter for "breaking the 180" if they really want to push the point. I view this issue as extremely subjective. Pointing the muzzle straight up is an obvious infraction but reloading at eye level with the gun at a 45 degree angle doesn't cause the "breaking the 180" although it may result in the muzzle clearing the backstop. You could actually have the muzzle pointed over the backstop with the gun waist high - would that be an infraction ?

I am by no means anywhere close to a master class shooter. For me, learning to increase accuracy and speed of target acquisition will probably improve my scores as much as anything. Watching folks double tap targets and shoot accurately is impressive to me. Younger shooters running between firing points instead of walking puts me at a distinct disadvantage. Hell, even remembering to shoot ALL of the targets would help me a lot ! ! If I could reload 5 seconds faster than a world champion I still would be getting beat my minutes (not just seconds). :) Good luck in your search for improvement. I think it normally comes in small steps at a time based on the amount of range time you put in as well as other factors.

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    My concern as an SO, RO, MD and ACC Member, is that if that muzzle pointed over the berm goes bang and shoots somebody nearby we have a MAJOR problem. Try telling someone's loved ones "well he was working on improving his reloads", "we gave him a procedural" or "well it was a level 2 match after all". A range in Michigan got closed down when a gate jumper sent one over the berm and hit a golfer. If it would happen during a match the club would be done.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Man.............you guys look C O L D !!!!!! I'm glad I moved to Arizona......shoot all year round and the most you need is a sweatshirt in the morning during the "chilly" months......

Bonus question answer: 45 ACP can shoot either ESP or CDP.....it all depends on how many rounds you can fit in your pistol. 8 rounds is max mag capacity for CDP. If you have a high cap pistol and want to load mags to 10 rounds, then you can run ESP.

Top Bottom