• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    I have always loved my .308 M1A rifle and now i want to own a 308 in the AR-15 platform. but is it a good idea to buy a AR in 308 already built or is it better to the upper and lower separate? and if so how makes a great upper and lover or fully built AR and is not overly priced?

i like to buy just a plan jan rifle so i can take parts off and replace them what feels good in my own hands.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Unlike AR15s, it is usually cheaper to buy the gun, then modify (and sell take-offs). There's nowhere near the deals that can be found on AR15 parts.
    But, if you're going to swap out everything, it would make more sense to piece it together.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes its cheaper to buy a prebuilt gun then it is to build a 308 AR platform rifle. I went through all the numbers before I bought my RECON. Its hard to build one for what you can get a factory rifle for.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    Yes its cheaper to buy a prebuilt gun then it is to build a 308 AR platform rifle. I went through all the numbers before I bought my RECON. Its hard to build one for what you can get a factory rifle for.

you talking about the recon from DPMS? I been looking over there AR's for the past 3days. was thinking about getting on in 308. how do you like your recon?

ok so just better to buy a prebuilt rifle and then add and take what i want from it.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I have to disagree about the pre-built being cheaper. Buying all the parts from Brownells, I just put all the parts needed to build a half decent .308 AR in a cart, including MOE furniture, Cart total is $1071.52.

DPMS wants $1,189.00 for their entry level .308 AR, with paddle stock.

We all know with a little effort, I could probably beat Brownells prices on some of those items, but for the sake of the argument lets just say I couldn't. So for $117 below pre-built MSRP I can build it myself, and choose the exact parts I want, rather than buying any entry level model, and having to strip parts off of it and upgrade.

Even if the cost is the same, I would think I'd rather build than buy.
    Either way though, it is not any cheaper to buy pre-built.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    you talking about the recon from DPMS? I been looking over there AR's for the past 3days. was thinking about getting on in 308. how do you like your recon?

ok so just better to buy a prebuilt rifle and then add and take what i want from it.

Yea its the DPMS RECON, I love it! No trouble with it at all. Shoots great easy to handle for what its shooting. I just put a scope on it an going to test it out an see how well it will group at distance. As far as buying Vs. building, from what I have personaly seen they can be bought cheaper than built, not to say thay cant Ive just not been able to find it. I had about 10months worth of searching before I finaly got mine. The problem you run into is not many shops have them in stock. Here is a small review of my RECON I did. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions about it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8mL9ZEVttA[/ame]

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    A big thing you need to decide on is what platform you want. The Armalite AR10 is not the same thing as a DPMS type 308 AR. Some parts will swap back and forth but most wont. Barrel extensions, forearms, bolt carrier groups, and the receivers themselves are not the same between the 2 platforms.

That being said, I am building a rifle using Armalite AR-10 receivers. The biggest problem right now is finding bolt carrier groups. Armalite and the other retailers I have found are all out of stock with no word on when they will be available. However, on the plus side, Armalite is running their 12 days of Armalite sale right now and there is at least 2 AR10 uppers included in the sale(they add new products to the sale every day).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    sgreen3: your 308 looks very nice. i was looking at that same rifle but in 223 and looking at one in 308 in the tactical precision rifles.

i better make up my mind soon i been watching the news and i am thinking there going to ban all AR's or any gun that is a tactical rifle.

Top Bottom