billmyn

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   1
    Mar 19, 2009
    New Ross
    picture.php
    1. colt a3 m4 upper J.P enterprise 18'' s.s 1n8 twist barrel w/ adjustable gas block and bolt and 2 port break.
    2. v-tac f.f tube .
    lower is a double star w/ a2 stock
    3. Timney 3lb trigger
    4. kns anti rotating pins.
    5. magpul bad lever, moe plus grip, and winter trigger guard.
    6. Vortex H.S 5-15x44 mrad reticule using a weaver tactical 1pc mount .
    7. Burris trs-25 dot.
    about 300rds through it and is almost boring to shoot. almost :ar15::D

Last edited:

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    That looks stellar :yesway:

Share the details on your process?

Sure.

1.0 Giraffe and Leopard print plastic stencils for wall painting (from Hobby Lobby).
    1.1 Giraffe is the larger-covering of the two stencils so i used it first.
    1.2 The black you see is the original anodizing on the receiver / upper / everywhere.
    1.3 Model paint in O.D. Green and Desert Camo, both flat colors (from Hobby Lobby).

2.0 Removed all components from the weapon i did not want painted.
    2.1 Cleaned the entire weapon with alcohol degreaser (from the painting section) and tapped off all areas i did not want painted with painters tape (blue masking tape). Leave any item you want the camo to flow across on the weapon. Like i did my optic).
    2.2 Hang weapon out of doors somewhere. MUST use 550 para cord for this though :D

3.0 Set up REALLY CHEAP Harbor Freight airbrush with a compressor and filter.
    3.1 Paint away using your bottom color first and moving the stencils around to randomize the pattern (use the larger-coverage stencils on the bottom).
    3.2 Let dry for 15 min and apply second color using different stencil.
    3.3 Repeat for more layers.

4.0 Let dry. (hardest part)
    4.1 Pull the tape and reassemble.
    4.2 Enjoy!

This was a "test" painting for me (model paint removes with chemicals easily :D). I didn't know how it would turn out or look or hold up. So far it has been on a couple of "walk-abouts", range trips, and rides in the car with no scarring on the paint.

But when it does get messed up, as i am sure it will being model paint, i will repaint it the same way with Duracoat for a long lasting camo job.

Oh by the way, in the photos of the weapon, the fore end looks blurred on the sides. That is because i blurred it with a photo program. I built the fore end and machined some text on the side that i didn't want on INGO... The fore end looks like the rest of the paint job.

Hope that was enough information! If not let me know.

Last edited:

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Not sure how to post pics yet...but I built my first AR a few months back and I'm hooked...it came out really well!

:wavey: good to see ya Jacob!

Upload your photos to a photo sharing site like photobucket, then just copy the code and paste it in your post.:thumbsup:

[IMG]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/kinnards80/4C3CD85F-A65A-440B-878E-CA0376C2D300-2681-0000067484ECFFA4.jpg

NetPIMP

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    If you were closer I'd gladly help you with that if it seems a bit daunting.

If that were the case, I'd humbly accept your offer... Appreciate the support tho!

Looks like at the very bottom wrapped in paper inside a plastic bag. :dunno:

Yes! Spikes CHF 16"... a lot of Spikes actually... lower, upper, barrel, compansator, buffer assembly, and LPK w/ their battle trigger..

Ultimately, I hope to end up with a Spikes NiBx BCG, but I scored the Black Rain Ordinance one for about $50 less - all in due time, and I'll end up putting the BRO in a later build.

("What's with all the Spikes stuff, bro?" What can I say, I like the damn Spider...)

What else?... YHM diamond rifle-length forearm w/ endcap, YHM low-pro gas glock, BCM Mod3 charging handle, Magpul ACS-L stock, Magpul MBUS front & rear, and a Magpul B.A.D.

I'm not to sure about the Ergo grip that comes in the Spikes Enhanced LPK, but it'll suffice for now - will probably go MOE or MIAD later.

I'm holding off on an optic for the moment... I've spent enough, and would seem wasteful if the damn thing just explodes on me ;) If it doesn't, then ... well... still not sure just yet.

LOL - FIRST ar15, first build... I'm diving into the deep end of the pool!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom