• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    I'm well versed about AR's in most standard configurations. One area that I have little experience with is buffers. I've seen people that swear by a heavier or lighter buffer and also talk of using a hydraulic buffers. Could someone shed some light on any benefits to swapping out a stock buffer?

I'm referring to buffers used in 5.56/.223 AR's.

Thank you for your assistance and information.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If you are running a standard length barrel (16 to 20 inch) there is probably no real reason to change buffer weights. Now full auto or 9mm or shorter than 16 inchers may need some changes. Then again it your choice to accessorize. The AR 15 platform has often been called the Barbie for dudes.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Could someone shed some light on any benefits to swapping out a stock buffer?

Define stock buffer.

There are photos out there showing the difference between carbine, H, H1, H2, H3, rifle buffers, etc.

The gist is that a heavier buffer will slow the cyclic rate;thus running smoother and reducing wear and tear. A rate too slow will cause short stroking.

For a 16" carbine or mid-length, I like an M16 BCG with an H buffer. However, the same upper will also run with an unshrouded BCG and a carbine buffer.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    For a 16" carbine or mid-length, I like an M16 BCG with an H buffer. However, the same upper will also run with an unshrouded BCG and a carbine buffer.

I also like the M16 (full-auto) BCG & H buffer for a 16" carbine gas. It's not so heavy that I have to worry about lower power loads (some of the foreign cheap stuff) short stroking, but heavy enough that I have confidence that it will stay smooth should somebody try dumping a mag :ar15:

I have heard recommendations on the mid-lengths against some of the low-cost import ammo if you are running a H or heavier buffer w/ a M16 BCG, but I never got my middy out to the range before unloading it.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    The weight of the bolt carrier, and the buffer, are simple ways to tune the ejection of your rifle, by providing a resistive force to the direct impengement gas system.

Think of your shooting position as the face of a clock, muzzle at 12, buttstock at 6. Your brass should be ejecting at 3-4 o'clock. Earlier than that, and you have too much gas pressure, and need to add resistive factors. Later than that, is a sign that your gas is too restricted.

In a case where your gas system is too restricted, your choices for resolution consist of switching to a semi-auto BCG, a lighter (standard being the lightest) buffer, or removing your gas block/FSB, and enlarging the actual gas port in the barrel.

IMHO, the vast majority of people who have convinced themselves they need a heavier buffer, have bought into the psychological marketing technique that equates an H2 buffer, to having the Humvee of rifles.

jotto

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    NW Indiana
    Excellent information. Answered my questions. Thank you all. So for what I have the standard buffer is fine. Gotta love the marketing of some things these days. :)

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Ive heard that heavier buffers in a carbine gas system rifle also reduces recoil.... Or is that a myth? Because i'd really like to know before i drop 35 bucks in an H2

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Ive heard that heavier buffers in a carbine gas system rifle also reduces recoil.... Or is that a myth? Because i'd really like to know before i drop 35 bucks in an H2

Not a myth. It reduces felt recoil. Whether or not you will be able to tell a difference is questionable.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have a carbine gas M4A1 profile (heavier under the handguards) and it runs smoother with an H2 vs a Car. My middy on the other hand seems fine with a Car buffer. These are both with f/a carriers which are heavier than the semi auto carrier.

Top Bottom