• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    So I am building my first AR, am I crazy to want a 6.5spc upper with a 24" bull barrel, and a 9mm 16" upper? Any thoughts as to what I can do in my build to give me the most accurate long range 6.5? Cause when those zombies come knocking I want the 9mm for up close and the 6.5 from the rooftop. :draw:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    So I am building my first AR, am I crazy to want a 6.5spc upper with a 24" bull barrel, and a 9mm 16" upper? Any thoughts as to what I can do in my build to give me the most accurate long range 6.5? Cause when those zombies come knocking I want the 9mm for up close and the 6.5 from the rooftop. :draw:

Are you wanting 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel? I'm not aware of 6.5 spc. If you're going to do a 9mm AR and your intentions are for close quarters, you might think about the steps to a SBR. Not much gained with 9mm and a barrel longer than 5". Then you can also put a 9mm suppressor on it and stay shorter than the "legal length" 16 inch barrel.

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    Are you wanting 6.8 spc or 6.5 grendel? I'm not aware of 6.5 spc. If you're going to do a 9mm AR and your intentions are for close quarters, you might think about the steps to a SBR. Not much gained with 9mm and a barrel longer than 5". Then you can also put a 9mm suppressor on it and stay shorter than the "legal length" 16 inch barrel.

I like this Idea, and as I was unaware of the block that gets pinned in for a 9mm I might need two lowers. How is the 22lr conversion done, from what I've seen of that its just the bolt and the firing pin? And thank you for the correction its 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc. from looking at the ballistics data available online the 6.5 looks like a better round?

Also from what I gather online the 6.8 is the largest round that can be fired from the ar-15 platform?

Crazy thought has anyone made a bolt action upper to shoot a 7.62? but use the ar-15 lower?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    There are 9mm blocks that are held in w. tension vs being pinned in, so it just takes an Allan key or screw driver to remove them. You need to use the right hammer to work w. both (m16 w. auto sear hook ground off or 9mm hammer). Trickiest part might be getting the right buffer weight to work well w. both.

-rvb

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    Ok so I am working on a Remington Model 11 shotgun and bought this stuff to fill the etchings in to make them a gold color, so I couldn't resist trying it on my new lower first.
    omni reciever.jpg

Whatcha think? :dunno:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Can a 308 be shot out of an Ar-15? or is that just an ar-10 load?

no the mag well's are different, in both lenght and width

Ok so I am working on a Remington Model 11 shotgun and bought this stuff to fill the etchings in to make them a gold color, so I couldn't resist trying it on my new lower first.
    View attachment 21435

Whatcha think? :dunno:

looks good, but with all the cracked ati omni lowers i have seen, i would not use one on anything other than a 22lr, i was going to build a uberlightweight ar, ati lower,pencil bbl, a2 upper,but i've seen too many cracked carbon fiber lowers.

plus i think ati states only .22, pistol caliber, or .223, for their omni lower, no other calibers

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    no the mag well's are different, in both lenght and width

looks good, but with all the cracked ati omni lowers i have seen, i would not use one on anything other than a 22lr, i was going to build a uberlightweight ar, ati lower,pencil bbl, a2 upper,but i've seen too many cracked carbon fiber lowers.

plus i think ati states only .22, pistol caliber, or .223, for their omni lower, no other calibers

Mine does say Multi Cal on it? When Allen checked it out he said that it looked pretty good but if there is a known issues with these cracking I guess I could try to resale it. I had it up on Gunbroker for about 2 weeks and it never sold.

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    Just pulled this off of American Tacticals website, and it says they have a 2 year warranty on them, so I guess I will give it a shot (pun intended) :):

atilower02.jpg

.410 sounds fun :-) maybe I should build one of those for home defense, then a metal lower for the larger round like the Grendel I was thinking about. From what I have read all the pressure in an AR is in the Upper?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    doubt you'll be able to re-sell it on gun broker, unless you find someone in indiana to buy it, it has to go to a ffl.

plus since its a handgun(even tho its a stripped lower, it can be built as a handgun) it can't be shipped thru the post office(usps says no handguns) so it has to go ups, or fed ex, and they both say handguns have to go overnight.

AND if you sell it on gunbroker, the buyer has to be over 21(since the atf says a stripped lower is the same as a handgun)

my advice, keep it, make a 22 cal ar15, that's what im going to do to mine

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    doubt you'll be able to re-sell it on gun broker, unless you find someone in indiana to buy it, it has to go to a ffl.

plus since its a handgun(even tho its a stripped lower, it can be built as a handgun) it can't be shipped thru the post office(usps says no handguns) so it has to go ups, or fed ex, and they both say handguns have to go overnight.

AND if you sell it on gunbroker, the buyer has to be over 21(since the atf says a stripped lower is the same as a handgun)

my advice, keep it, make a 22 cal ar15, that's what im going to do to mine
    Unless I missed the part where the OP stated it was gonna be an AR pistol ( which if he's talking about 16" and up for his barrel length, I'm guessing not) then your information isn't entirely correct. The lower receiver isn't specified as a handgun. Its considered a rifle. If the guy he is selling to lives in Indiana, he can ship it any way he wants. USPS, UPS, FedEx, you name it. You're correct in staying that out of state sales have to be transfered through an FFL.
    Edit: I've shipped a complete lower through USPS to another INGO member and checked the laws to cover my butt before hand. I think stripped lowers have to be classified as a pistol or rifle when purchased from the dealer.

Top Bottom