• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My son is keen to do the 6.5 Grendel, long barrel and all, but I'm starting him off with 5.56. It's mostly Legos after that. I'd rather see the Grendel settle down a bit before jumping in. The 7.62x51 is incompatible with the AR15 lower, that will be an AR10. Ironically, the original Armalite AR10 (which lost to the M14) preceeded the Armalite AR15, which became the Colt M16, later to be retconned to the civilian AR15.

Anyway, I've just done with a .300BLK, which is 7.62x35, and uses the same .308 projectiles, so you can load some variety. Literally the only difference is the barrel. I'm not aware of a 7.62 bolt action for an AR15 lower, but I wouldn't be surprised. You can get a .50BMG one for (deity of your choice) sake.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I like this Idea, and as I was unaware of the block that gets pinned in for a 9mm I might need two lowers. How is the 22lr conversion done, from what I've seen of that its just the bolt and the firing pin? And thank you for the correction its 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 spc. from looking at the ballistics data available online the 6.5 looks like a better round?

Also from what I gather online the 6.8 is the largest round that can be fired from the ar-15 platform?

Crazy thought has anyone made a bolt action upper to shoot a 7.62? but use the ar-15 lower?

No the 300 BLK is bigger. You can shoot 450 bushmaster 458 socom and 50 beowulf from an AR 15 lower. If you want to exceed 5.56 performance for longer distance then go with the 6.5 Grendel. I suggest you do research as far as how much an upper is or cost to build an upper. It isnt some cheap throw it together rifle if you want to shoot long distance.

Here are some pics of mine with a 24" barrel

goodlander

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2013
    DANVILLE
    No the 300 BLK is bigger. You can shoot 450 bushmaster 458 socom and 50 beowulf from an AR 15 lower. If you want to exceed 5.56 performance for longer distance then go with the 6.5 Grendel. I suggest you do research as far as how much an upper is or cost to build an upper. It isnt some cheap throw it together rifle if you want to shoot long distance.

Here are some pics of mine with a 24" barrel

That is beautiful, I love the side charging bolt, was that bought or made?

If they can make a bolt action upper to shoot the 50 cal surely someone can make one that shoots the 7.62 so that you can use a standard bolt and barrel setup, just side mag like the 50 cal uppers. No?

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    That is beautiful, I love the side charging bolt, was that bought or made?

If they can make a bolt action upper to shoot the 50 cal surely someone can make one that shoots the 7.62 so that you can use a standard bolt and barrel setup, just side mag like the 50 cal uppers. No?

Its a Mega Arms side charging upper with a Young MFG side charging BCG

Ive never seen a bolt action upper for an AR 15 lower platform doesnt mean they dont make it. But if I wanted bolt action I would just go with a R700 but if you want that AR platform just go with AR-10 based

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TravGreen2703!!
    Top Bottom