• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Just got home from the range, my daughter is here on vacation and she always wants to shoot the AR.. About 60 rounds in the rifle started double tapping every now and then. I didn't want to continue shooting it like that so we had to cut our trip short, what could cause this?? The rifle has an essential lower with a double star parts kit, this parts kit probably only has 500 rounds on it or so and this is the first time it has ever done this...

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I just received a replacement RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger from Rock River today. The original trigger started doing the same thing as yours. It went FA auto once, luckily I was only loading 3 rounds in the mag while trying to diagnose the problem. Mine was the result of a bad trigger/sear engagement. Hopefully you can get it figured out soon.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Of course, there could be something wrong with your trigger, but if the user does not pull the trigger all the way to the rear, any trigger can be "bump fired".

In other words, the user is squeezing the trigger until the rifle fires, but the trigger is floating along in mid stream. The rifle then recoils and the trigger resets and fires again. It is a great way to mimic full auto, but is detrimental to accuracy with the follow up shots.

It happened to a rifle student this last weekend at our highpower clinic and I watched him do it and corrected his improper trigger technique.

The trigger needs to be held back after firing and during recoil. It is part of "follow through". Always watch the trigger finger of any new shooter, you will easliy see if they are not pulling all the way back.

The M1 Garand, M1A, AR15, Mini 14, 1911, and many more can be bump fired if you try or don't use the proper technique.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I hate to resurrect such an old thread but I thought I had solved this problem but it seems not. My brother is in town for my mothers birthday and while just screwing around and doing a close inspection of my AR we found when doing a function check that it would fire when the trigger was depressed and then again when it was released after the bolt was cycled, sometimes it held like it was supposed to other times it didn't. What will it take to resolve this problem?

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Agreed- New trigger group. You can use this as an opportunity to upgrade or get a replacement mil spec trigger pretty cheap. I recently put a Spike's enhanced trigger (nickel boron) in for $56. I am sure you can get a base one for less though.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The problem is that your disconnector is working, but isnt pushing the hammer far enough forward to transfer the energy of the hammer onto the sear. a new trigger is probably what you need, but replacing the whole setup is probably what i would do.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Same thing happened with my dads sp1 first time I Pulled the trigger I got a 3 round burst and it started jamming

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I had to replace the hammer and trigger. I just stopped by Elmore's on the way to my moms for her birthday they took care of it for $30 pretty good deal I thought for just walking in, and it only took about 10 mins.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't let the feds find out, one guy went away for a long time, even though they could never duplicate his malfunction. For some reason they're kind of anal about ARs that go bang more than once. Have you duplicated this with different ammunition? It couldn't be a slam fire on some flaky primers? Trigger, disconnecter, selector or hammer, otherwise, probably least of all the trigger or selector, though. Just my thoughts.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Did you contact Double Star? I would let them know ASAP. I had a problem with one of their lower parts kits when I built my first AR. I took it with me to the 1500 and they fixed it in a few hours. Solid people.

jamaxwell90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Terre Haute
    check to make sure the pin holding you trigger in place is still where its supposed to be. This happened to me because the pin had backed out and allowed the trigger to move to just enough that it started firing two shot bursts.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    The parts look substandard the gunsmith said the hammer looked to him to have been welded and re-cut making it out of spec. The lower parts kit was bought back when everything was impossible to get my guess is that quality may have slipped in their attempt to keep up with demand.

Top Bottom