• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Hello, I purchased a BCM 16" Mid Length Upper a few weeks ago, I am in love with the upper, the quality is great. Yesterday I was shooting at my outdoor range and I noticed that after I shot a full clip the bolt wouldn't stay open like it should. I am using regular GI Mags and a Standard Carbine Buffer. Any ideas on why the bolt wouldn't catch?

desmodue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Peru, IN
    Take the upper off. Put the mag you used in the lower. Cock the hammer back. Push the mag follower down into the magazine one half inch or so, let the follower rise slowly in the magazine. Does it push the bolt catch up? If so, does it barely move it or does it move it positively? I'm betting a different magazine will solve your issue. Good Luck.

GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Take the upper off. Put the mag you used in the lower. Cock the hammer back. Push the mag follower down into the magazine one half inch or so, let the follower rise slowly in the magazine. Does it push the bolt catch up? If so, does it barely move it or does it move it positively? I'm betting a different magazine will solve your issue. Good Luck.

I will try that tonight since tonight is gun cleaning night while watching the Pro Bowl. Haha. They are older Mags that appear to have been used quite a bit before I got them.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT

Desmodue , after an answer like that, Well I think you can stay . Like the avatar , there not to many people that would recognize it . We will call you duckman from here forward .

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    FYI

clip_magazine.jpg

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    What type of ammo were you using? I have a midlength AR that cycled ammo fine but wouldn't lock the bolt back on a certain type of ammo. The mags I was using were new PMags that had worked fine locking back with other types of ammo. Perhaps your ammo is underpowered or perhaps it's full spec'd power but the burn rate of the powder is such that it's not creating enough port pressure to get bolt lock.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    How new is the upper?

Things might need some time to get broke in and settle. I've had a few guns do that with weak ammo, usually after about 50 rounds they're working fine.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Its a new upper, but how old or used is the lower? Check the bolt catch and spring too. Usually that does spell out a mag issue but sometimes its the catch or spring itself.

HTH,

Top Bottom