• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Mooresville
    So i shot a couple differnt Ar's not to long ago and I decided i gotta get one. Only deal is I am an Ak47 guy, so I know nothing about them other than general operation. Looking for entry level, under $700. Should I buy a complete gun or a complete upper and seperate lower. What makers should I look at? Thanks for any info.

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    It really depends on how much you want to spend. AR 15's can be had as low as $800 and as much as several thousand. From my shooting experience, I will run down a couple of my favorites that you may want to check out.

HK MR556 (416) - So I am a bit biased towards HK's... but for good reason. The HK MR556 is an incredible AR15. The internals have been completely redesigned from the average AR15, reducing recoil and improving reliability. It sports a piston driven system, which eliminates the buildup of heat. I had shot 300 rounds through this weapon at the range a couple weeks ago, and the bolt was still cold as it was at the beginning. This is a huge plus, because the issue of rounds jamming is nearly non-existent. The drainage holes strategically placed inside the bolt allow it to be fully submerged in water, and still fire perfectly without misfiring. It has very manageable recoil, and is extremely accurate. If you are a fan of the AK's system, you'll like this gun, as it closely resembles it. I own one of these, and it is by far my favorite AR15.

This weapon is in the upper price spectrum. I was able to snag mine for $2300 new.

Bushmaster ES2 Modular - This is a great AR15. Whether for home defense, hunting or practice, I have the upmost confidence in this gun. It has a chrome lined bore barrel, front flip up sights and shoots .223 rounds. This gun has low recoil and is extremely accurate. I have put upwards of 1000 rounds this this AR, with only minor problems (mostly wear and tear, no jams or misfeeds).

This AR15 costs around $1300 new, though you may be able to shop around for a deal.

Bushmaster M3 MOE - I don't own this gun, although a buddy of mine does. Shoots smooth, very accurate, no problems with firing at all. I wasn't a big fan of this gun at first because of the grip, but it's definitely something I got used to. Great gun for the price, you might want to check it out.

This gun goes for around $1000, or so I hear.

As far as getting an AR15 for under $700, My personal opinion is to go with a used bushmaster. Bushmaster makes very reliable guns, at fairly low prices. If your going to purchase these new, your looking more at like $900 - 1000 for the low end AR's.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    the best gun for the money is the PSA M4 for about $600 and then Spike's Tactical. And you can't go wrong with the Colt 6920, especially when DSG is selling them for $944!

I wouldn't even mess with Bushmaster, DPMS, etc

Ymmv.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    i went with a delton kit on a surplus ammo and arms lower that has served me well for my first ar. i think i ended up with around 500-600 bucks in the rifle with no accessories.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Only thing about the inexpensive PSA rifle is that it isn't in stock right now. If you can wait a little, PSA should have another $49.99 lower sale. You could do that and then pick a rifle kit like this 16'' M4 CMV, Chrome-lined, Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15 and with a rear sight added, you're looking at $540 plus $15 for shipping. The lower will be around $57 shipped and then you've got the transfer (mine was $25). Be looking at around $630 for a solid rifle. Another $10 for the same kit with a hammer forged heavy profile barrel.

But if you're going to order a lower and a rifle kit, make sure to put in 2 orders. I didn't see it on the site since the facelift but it use to mention an added tax when ordering them together.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Most of the rifles in that price range are close I would say, Stag, Rock River, Spikes. I haven't played with anything from PSA yet but according to many posters on here they are good to go.

tater86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Nobody on ingo seems to like dpms panther but I was looking into a entry level ar and i bought one from Plainfield shooting supplies (5.56) with a hard case and 2 mags for $629. (brand new plus tax) and i have NEVER had any issue with it. But i do understand there are a lot more experienced guys in here that have good reason. Everyone wants a spikes or rock river arms. Some just can't afford it. Plus you can build it up yourself, for me that was as much fun as shooting it.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Nobody on ingo seems to like dpms panther but I was looking into a entry level ar and i bought one from Plainfield shooting supplies (5.56) with a hard case and 2 mags for $629. (brand new plus tax) and i have NEVER had any issue with it. But i do understand there are a lot more experienced guys in here that have good reason. Everyone wants a spikes or rock river arms. Some just can't afford it. Plus you can build it up yourself, for me that was as much fun as shooting it.

DPMS has a history of poor QC and using out of spec parts. They also tend to charge extra for upgrades that should be included in the price imo.

My first AR was a DPMS and it never gave me any trouble either. However with what other companies are offering at the same price point, why even bother taking the risk?

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    M&S Armament in Clinton sells entry level double star m4's for $650, about the best bang for your buck if you ask me. I have had a couple double stars and they preform just as good as any other entry level rifle. If money wasnt an issue I would recommend Daniel Defense or Colt. They are my personal favorites.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011

Was also wandering why no one brought up dpms. My first ar was dpms flat top, I've yet to have any issues of any kind and shoots dime size groups at 100 & 200 yrds I love this gun. I only gave 600.00 for ity out the door brand new.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    It really depends on how much you want to spend. AR 15's can be had as low as $800 and as much as several thousand. From my shooting experience, I will run down a couple of my favorites that you may want to check out.

HK MR556 (416) - So I am a bit biased to wards HK's... but for good reason. The HK MR556 is an incredible AR15. The internals have been completely redesigned from the average AR15, reducing recoil and improving reliability. It sports a piston driven system, which eliminates the buildup of heat. I had shot 300 rounds through this weapon at the range a couple weeks ago, and the bolt was still cold as it was at the beginning. This is a huge plus, because the issue of rounds jamming is nearly non-existent. The drainage holes strategically placed inside the bolt allow it to be fully submerged in water, and still fire perfectly without misfiring. It has very manageable recoil, and is extremely accurate. If you are a fan of the AK's system, you'll like this gun, as it closely resembles it. I own one of these, and it is by far my favorite AR15.

This weapon is in the upper price spectrum. I was able to snag mine for $2300 new.

The issue of reliability is speculative at best, this design has very little Field time to be basing such grand claims on. One of the Military Arms channel guys did a side by side test with a Oly Arms AR and found the H&K to be less accurate while yielding lower muzzle velocities. Ammo was split boxes so ammo diff would have be minimal. Simple test debunked two of H & K's promises of their improved area's over regular AR's. What about the weight? the H&K weights almost 3 pounds more IIRC. Seems they failed in at least two categories against one of the low end American AR builders , to each his own .

Me, I would never pay that kind of money for any rifle that is less accurate, heavier, that looses velocity thereby decreasing the effectiveness of the 5.56/.223 round and is less accurate too boot, when compaired to a Oly Arms! Brand Hype/Worship IMHO.

But hey if we all like the same one, they would only make one version, right.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't stress about getting it right the first time. My first was a used franken 15 on a cast EA lower with M16 internals. I learned everything about the platform from that, and now I wouldn't hesitate to build one purely from parts; in fact I plan to finish some 80% lowers and do so. Get something used and learn all you can, then once you know what you want, sell what you have and get that. You'll have something while you're learning, and have what you want once you know.

Top Bottom