• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I am looking to buy an AR-15. I have never owned one before, but I have a friend who owns a DPMS that I have shot several times and I love it!!! I was wondering what the consensus was on the best "median" AR-15 to purchase is. I am not looking to spend a fortune on it, I just want a barebones, because I will customize it all with my preference of aftermarket parts. Looking for a AR-15 with nothing on it, no sights, no tactical gear, nothing!! Any suggestions on models like this or what to expect to pay? Also I will be adding a very nice scope, but want back up iron sights, I like my friends magpul flip up sights, any opinions?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Then you need to look at DPMS, That was my first one gave less than 700 for it new, have about 600rds threw it now without a hicup. An yes once you get one the sickness will set in an youll have to buy all kinds of stuff for it an the you'll be like me plotting your next Ar to get. Its a vicious cycle. But the #1 additon to your Ar is MAGS AN AMMO! cause it dont take long at all to burn threw ammo with an AR. Hope this helps, and good luck on your purchase

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    From my experience, you can usually save a little $$ by buying the parts separately and not a complete rifle. This way also tends to get you a better rifle for the same price as buying a complete rifle. That being said, I have no complaints with DPMS, I use one of their lowers on my ar and it has functioned flawlessly. I use a spikes tactical upper, which they are an awesome value for the money. Also palmetto state makes great uppers/lowers as well, and their prices are hard to beat.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    From my experience, you can usually save a little $$ by buying the parts separately and not a complete rifle. This way also tends to get you a better rifle for the same price as buying a complete rifle. That being said, I have no complaints with DPMS, I use one of their lowers on my ar and it has functioned flawlessly. I use a spikes tactical upper, which they are an awesome value for the money. Also palmetto state makes great uppers/lowers as well, and their prices are hard to beat.

Ok, like I stated, I have never owned a AR-15, so help me with this one. By buying it separate are you talking like buy the lower and then buy the upper or are there more components that you have to buy? Sorry, just don't know if the receiver and barrel are included with any of this or you buy them separate. Thanks!!

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Then you need to look at DPMS, That was my first one gave less than 700 for it new, have about 600rds threw it now without a hicup. An yes once you get one the sickness will set in an youll have to buy all kinds of stuff for it an the you'll be like me plotting your next Ar to get. Its a vicious cycle. But the #1 additon to your Ar is MAGS AN AMMO! cause it dont take long at all to burn threw ammo with an AR. Hope this helps, and good luck on your purchase

I get you there!!!! My friend has like 50 mags for his AR-15!! He finds them cheap and buys them all!! At the rate he is going, he will never have to reload a single mag in his life, lol!!

lnholmes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    West Lafayette/Wabash
    When it comes to an ar you can buy every single part of the gun separately and assemble one. I should have been more clear, I was talking about buying the upper and lower separately. You can buy those fully assembled and it's nothing more than 2 pins putting them together and your gun is done. I've seen the DPMS base rifles for around 650-675 new, which isn't bad. But, on another hand, my father just finished his ar with a palmetto state upper and a denny's guns lower, all full mil-spec and spent right around 725 for the two. Spec for spec, his is a far better rifle than the DPMS and is very close in price. It all depends on how you want to go. It may not be bad to get a DPMS as a starter rifle, and possibly look into a better ar down the road or building your own, if that's how you want to go.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    S&W M&P Sport if you are not hung up on needing a forward assist and a dust cover. I'm very happy with mine. These can be had in the $599 price range without significant shopping around.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    If I could do it again (or had more money right now) I would either by a BCM complete upper + bolt carrier group and a rear sight at Bravocompanyusa.com, than buy any brand of lower, they're all pretty similar. Or buy an upper from Palmetto state armory, they have some great prices right now, both of these will give you a very high quality rifle for for $800-900 if not less.

DPMS makes an ok gun but they may skip things like staking the carrier key and castle nut, and they don't take the extra steps of testing each weapon such as MPI and High pressure testing, the steel they use in their barrels isn't considered as good and they usually aren't chrome lined or have m4 feed ramps. These features aren't really necessary for the average shooter but when you can have them for the same cost you might as well buy the better gun. Just my opinion.

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Colt LE6920 and don't look back. Add optics and rounds, lube it up and consider reloading as your next hobby.

Top Bottom