• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrwatson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I'm new to AR's. I recently assembled my first that includes a factory-built, complete CMMG 5.56 upper. My first opportunity to fire this was using an M-261 conversion for about 250 rounds of various ammo.
    Upon removal of the conversion and attempting to fire Tula surplus ammo, the bolt would not cycle and I found the gas-tube would hold solvent which lead me to believe that the port was plugged. Staff at CMMG suggested that I clean the bore and shoot until the port cleared. I did that and fired about 50 rounds before the bolt would cycle the rifle properly.
    Is there a better method to do this? 50 rounds hand-cycled seems excessive.
    Thanks.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Since you never fired this rifle with .223 ammo you have no way to base line if the rifle worked well to begin with, but as you stated the rifle did begin to function after a cleaning and 50 rounds to help clean out the tube.

The only way to prevent this from possibly happening again is to not use a .22LR conversion. as many people will state "they" never had a problem, you are the 2% that "did" have the problem.

The only other way I could see helping prevemt this is to tap the roll pin out to teh gas tube and remove it prior to use. Yes it will add some time to the conversion, but at least the tube wont get fouled. Now all you have to worry about is your chamber getting full of crud and a clogged gas port in your barrel.

Don't you just love conversions

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Since you never fired this rifle with .223 ammo you have no way to base line if the rifle worked well to begin with, but as you stated the rifle did begin to function after a cleaning and 50 rounds to help clean out the tube.

The only way to prevent this from possibly happening again is to not use a .22LR conversion. as many people will state "they" never had a problem, you are the 2% that "did" have the problem.

The only other way I could see helping prevemt this is to tap the roll pin out to teh gas tube and remove it prior to use. Yes it will add some time to the conversion, but at least the tube wont get fouled. Now all you have to worry about is your chamber getting full of crud and a clogged gas port in your barrel.

Don't you just love conversions

or leave the AR as it is originally built and shoot 223 out of it and build another AR that is dedicated 22lr.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I'm not saying this to be ajerk, but if he had the funds to do that why didnt he from the get go. Proving oionce again, pay once, cry once. And the crying wont be from the frustration of things not working... justthe temporary pain in teh pocket book.

Top Bottom