• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just finished upgrading my AR-15 and am considering a nice hard case to put it in during transport. I have a couple of soft cases which do a fine job but would like a quality hard case that has the foam inserts that are configurable. Any recommendations or folks that have a case they really like ?

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Believe it or not, I've actually seen some really nice ones at Wal-Mart. Nice heavy construction, and the foam was already perforated inside so you could customize however you'd like.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I bought some of the Plano pillarlock scoped rifle cases myself. I didnt.need to cut foam and my 20 inch ar fits just fine. Just my 2 cents

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Ok, I'll be a bit more specific. I want a case the rifle sets into the foam and the foam is configurable. A case that is rectangular and not shaped like a rifle. Maybe even have wheels on it but wheels are not a deal breaker. I have a couple of cases that the rifle does not fit "into" the foam and the rifle sometimes likes to slide around inside the case and not stay put.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The case I was talking about would allow the rifle to recess into it, no wheels though.

Thanks for your time Eric. I found the case your talking about on the Walmart site but none of the Walmarts near me have it in stock and it says no shipping available. It did show a Walmart 36 miles from me that has it in stock. I may have to make a trip there to get it since there is a good gun shop along the way that usually has some reloading supplies.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I separate my upper/lower and carry in one of these. Love it.

No sure if this is the one, but its the same brand. Not long enough to store a rifle or shotgun that isnt taken down, but is much easier to handle due to its length, and it looks less like a gun case and more like a music case. And not that expensive either.
    Edit: THIS is the correct case
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...cs&recid=Product_PageElement_product_rr_2_966

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Cabelas makes a really nice hard case. I believe it's the "armor xtreme" case. Seems really comparable to the Pelicans at a fraction of the cost. Although, the Pelicans do have an unreal warranty...

Just depends on how hard you're going to beat on the case. If you're going to be traveling and giving it to airline people to throw around, maybe it's worth it for the pelican (then again, maybe not. That cabelas branded one was really robust feeling). If you're just throwing it in your car and taking it to the range, I'd save the money and get the cabelas one.

ginger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Spencer Co.
    Pelican cases are the way to go. Bought one and some extra foam inserts and change them out for carrying different rifles. I have a redhead plastic/aluminum case from bass pro and the hinges broke the first time I closed it. Had it for a year before it pretty well fell completely apart.

rjh78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've not got a Pelican for my rifle, but I'll say for the last 8 years at work we've been shipping equipment and product in Pelicans in all shapes and sizes to all corners of the planet, I've thrown them on the plane every week, and I've never seen one fail. They can take a beating and the insides remain intact.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I find hard cases to be more of a PITA than they're worth for casual use. If I were flying a rifle around the country then I'd deal with a Pelican, but for going to a local range I'll take a soft case every time.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I would normally agree with about every rifle I own but since I easily have over $2,500 in this one rifle I feel the need to protect it. My AK's can ride in a tactical soft side case.

This would be similar to what I'm looking for... decisions, decisions

k2-_46348906-64cd-41df-9947-b7ac85e4300e.v1.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I went and purchased the Plano 42" Tactical case from Walmart (Thanks EricW). It took about 15 minutes of plucking the foam inserts out to fit the AR & mags but it turned out great! Plenty of foam underneath the top layer and the case itself seems very stout for max protection. Not as nice as a Pelican I can be sure but nice enough for what I have intended for it. A++

DDAR15caseCustom_zpsc08f8cc6.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Go First class. Americase, made in Waxahachie, Texas. They will even french fit it in English suede if velvet is not snazzy enough for you. Looking at their website, keep in mind that is only the "standard" cases. !/2 of everything they sell is custom for people that want something different than the 200 standard patterns. If you can dream it, they can make it. I have a couple that are beautiful.

Top Bottom