• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Yes. May as well just get another upper and then you can switch on the fly. :) if you are to that point, you may as well just build another lower as well.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Yep no reason not to just get (or build) a complete upper. Could even use the same bolt, if you were trying to save money.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    the .300 blk round has it's peak performance out of an (8 or) 9 inch barrel

No issues with longer barrels. I run a 10-1/2" SBR that is really sweet.
    No reason to go longer that you need though. If you do t want to deal with a tax stamp, you could do a 14.75" barrel with a permantly attached flash-hider

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    I built a 16 inch blackout carbine. It shoots alright. The 10.5 pistol is much more fun. I wouldn't go longer than 9 inch pistol though. Sig brace for stability ;)

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What should I expect from a 16 inch

There is nothing wrong with a 16" 300BLK. The round was optimized for shorter barrels, which basically means that past 12", there isn't much more velocity gained from having a longer barrel. In most rifles a longer barrel = more velocity given the additional time for powder to burn and push the bullet.

I had a 16" and liked it so much I built an SBR that I also use in pistol configuration (dedicated pistol lower) for deer hunting.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    TI had a 16" and liked it so much I built an SBR that I also use in pistol configuration (dedicated pistol lower) for deer hunting.

300 BLK is a legal deer cartridge?

From DNR regs:
    "Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.

Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited."

Notice that .30 carbine is prohibited. Here is my conundrum, .30 seems to comply with the width and length, but is excluded from use. 300 BLK has only .078" longer case. Is it excluded as well? (Not to mention FMJ ammo is prohibited, so be careful.)

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    300 BLK is a legal deer cartridge?

From DNR regs:
    "Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.

Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited."

Notice that .30 carbine is prohibited. Here is my conundrum, .30 seems to comply with the width and length, but is excluded from use. 300 BLK has only .078" longer case. Is it excluded as well? (Not to mention FMJ ammo is prohibited, so be careful.)

A 300 BLK pistol is a hand gun. The projectile is .308", which is > .243." The case is 1.368" nominally, which is > 1.16". I had that memorized and actually recited it verbatim to a not so friendly CO that paid me a visit after seeing my post on INGO showing one of my deer that were harvested with the gun.

He checked everything out, and said, "you're right on the caliber requirements, but I don't think that is the intention of the law. He felt like my AR15 pistol was actually a rifle with a barrel < 18" that could be fired from the shoulder since I could theoretically shoulder the pistol tube or could unscrew it and put on a stock. I simply replied, according to federal law, this AR15 is classified as a pistol and in Indiana was considered a handgun under the following:

"Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length;
    or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

(Note that due to the above wording some think a federally legal SBR to be a pistol...but I don't know what the lawyers have decided on that...so I use it without a stock in pistol form just to be safe). He said he'd have to check with the ATF and would get back with me. Long story short, he got back with me and said while he didn't like it, my gun was in fact Indiana deer legal under the present wording.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    ^^^did you tell him that it didn't matter what HE liked?^^^

I decided not to poke the hornet's nest and thanked him for confirming I did not break any laws.

OP...I'd say go with a dedicated 300BLK upper. 16" for now and then if you ever want, get a Pistol or SBR lower and go with a shorty. You won't regret it.

Dinny

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2015
    Trafalgar
    I'm a big fan of the 300BLK. I have a 16" PSA that shoots real well. I killed a numbers of hogs with it when I was stationed in Oklahoma. Kinda miss hunting with it here in IN.

Thanks, Dinny

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    OP...I'd say go with a dedicated 300BLK upper. 16" for now and then if you ever want, get a Pistol or SBR lower and go with a shorty. You won't regret it.

Thanks for clearing up the deer caliber clutter. Moving on with a thread relevant question: If the OP wants to later change from that 16 inch to say, 10.5 inch upper using the same receiver, he has to do the tax stamp for an SBR, yes?

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks for clearing up the deer caliber clutter. Moving on with a thread relevant question: If the OP wants to later change from that 16 inch to say, 10.5 inch upper using the same receiver, he has to do the tax stamp for an SBR, yes?

Only if its going to be in a rifle configuration. If it is going to be on a lower designated as a pistol lower then there is no need for the stamp.

Also, if the lower has a rifle stock already mounted on it, you cant turn it around and legally use it as a pistol lower.

Top Bottom