• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Please excuse my ignorance, as I haven't really played much with AR's.
    But I picked one up off of a fellow INGO'er a year or so ago, and I can't seem to find out who it was or anything!
    But I have a Bushmaster XM15-E2S, but it has a YHM free floating quad rail on it. I have searched their website trying to find more rails to put on it, not having much luck at this time, but still working on this.
    however, I can't seem to figure out how to get the free floating quad rail off of the darn gun! I know i'm special, but I figured an average joe could do this.:dunno:
    can anyone show me the light?
    here's a picture of my AR.... thank you.
    bushy_zpsbc8a997b.jpg

yhm_zps0d1e97b7.jpg

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    most YHM rails have 2 set screws threw the handguard at the reciever end that you take out, then unscrew the handguard section, I dont see the set screws in yours so it appears it just screws off.

I THINK if you put the same rail back on the single exsisting rail goes on top, but im not familiar with your exact rail.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It does screw off. As long as your gas tube has been removed, and it looks like it has been, then it should just unscrew.

Could have some type of thread-seal on it. May just be over tightened, but it should just screw off.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If it works the way it looks, you need to loosen the jam nut before you can unscrew the handguard.

The jam nut is the grey nut closer to the receiver and friction locks the main tube in place.

Once the jam nut has been moved closer to the receiver, either the main tube will screw loose or you may have to deal with anti-torsion screws (which hold the main tube on in place relative to the barrel nut) or lock-tite.

Edit: FWIW, I used YHM's wrench to tighten their jam nuts and barrel nuts since I have had problems getting standard wrenches to hold properly.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Are you wanting to replace the entire forearm, or just get some rails to attach to the existing forearm?

Can you remove that rail from the bottom of the forearm? It looks like there are screws holding it on. If so, then it appears to be one of their "Customizable" line of forearms, as seen here:
    Rifle Length Customizable Forearm [YHM-9432A] - $180.50 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

You should be able to still get rail pieces for that particular one. Looks like you can get from 3"-12" pieces and attach as needed.
    Forearm Accessories : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

This reminds me I need to get a couple of them on order.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    thanks for all of your help! I was wanting to just take the quad rail off and check it out, and add some 12" rails to it. but for that cost I can nearly sell the one I have and but one that has some crazy rails that i'd like to have! :dunno:

AND

how do I know what other free floating rails will fit on my gun? Is it a size or thread thing?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    how do I know what other free floating rails will fit on my gun? Is it a size or thread thing?

Pretty much any free float rail you get will come with the barrel nut required to hold it in place (except a few that are designed to work with standard AR barrel nuts.) That also means you will need to take off the existing barrel nut on your AR and install the new one.

If you do not want to change the barrel nut, you are likely limited to a couple of YHM options and you may want to call them to see which quad rails would work.

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    can anyone tell by the terrible pictures if this is a standard or heavy barrel?
    I am wanting to get an end barrel nut but don't know what one will fit on my gun!
    thanks.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    can anyone tell by the terrible pictures if this is a standard or heavy barrel?
    I am wanting to get an end barrel nut but don't know what one will fit on my gun!
    thanks.

Looking though the holes in the handguard it appears to be a light barrel.

Top Bottom