• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GreenfieldGunny

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Hey guys, I have a BCM 16" Mid Length A3 Upper with the standard F Marked Front Sight Post. Now I am currently running a MOE Handguard, which, dont get my wrong is nice but it isn't my style. It was only purchased because that was the most cost effective option to still give me some rail options. I had always planned on putting a free float handguard to increase stability for fore grips and other accessories that extended past the front sight post and use a BUS front sight to give it that nice clean look to it. I have decided on a 11" VTAC Extreme BattleRail but I am not sure what to do about the gas block. The handguard obviously needs a low profile gas block, but I dont think I want a set screw type gas block because the rifle is as strong as its weakest point. I dont want to count on two little set screws to keep my rifle functioning. Now I know barrels can be dimpled so the set screws cannot move, combined with some Rocksett or Loctite. I have seen several standard front sight gas blocks cut down to fit underneath the handguard, I wouldn't think it would be very difficult to do with a dremel and some elbow grease and would save some cash. My question is, which is best? To have the barrel dimpled for a low profile gas block or cut my front sight post down to fit under the handguards. Thank You!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    To have the barrel dimpled for a low profile gas block or cut my front sight post down to fit under the handguards. Thank You!

The latter would be quicker, cheaper, easier, and (arguably) more secure. It might not look as nice, but since the gas block will be hidden under the rail, who cares?

On the flip-side, a setscrewed gas block would also be just fine in that application, since it will be protected from impact by the rail.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I cut down my FSB on my last build. It was a Del Ton 16" Middy that i put a YHM rifle length rail on. Cut the top off with a cut-of wheel, ground it semi-round and hit it with some BBQ grill paint. It looked just fine under the rail!

Doug K

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I have a set screwed lopro gas block on my sbr and haven't had any issues with it coming loose. I have almost 11k rounds throught it now and it gets used hard.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have a set screwed lopro gas block on my sbr and haven't had any issues with it coming loose. I have almost 11k rounds throught it now and it gets used hard.

:+1:

I have a setscrewed gas block on one gun and a clamp-on gas block/FSB on another, and neither have given me any problems over many rounds downrange.

Top Bottom