• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    RK had the Ruger AR-556 for $585 on Black Friday. Meeks had them for $595 but I think they're all sold out.

I was going to build my first AR but hard to pass up something like this.
    I'd only buy the Ruger IF you plan on never upgrading accessories. That rifle uses proprietary items that can hinder you from using common upgraded items such as rails etc

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I'd rather buy the low end S&W than the low end Ruger AR's. The Ruger's I've handled were rough.

I'd only buy the Ruger IF you plan on never upgrading accessories. That rifle uses proprietary items that can hinder you from using common upgraded items such as rails etc

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar

FSB is slightly different but functionally the same. The delta ring is a screw down but will accept standard hand guards\rails.

Everything else from what I have read from Ruger, forums, industry reviews is mil-spec.

If you're a purist, yea, I get it.

Mike

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    FSB is slightly different but functionally the same. The delta ring is a screw down but will accept standard hand guards\rails.

Everything else from what I have read from Ruger, forums, industry reviews is mil-spec.

If you're a purist, yea, I get it.

Mike

From my reading, the barrel nut is not mil-spec and doesn't share the same thread pattern as a mil-spec nut. Therefore you can't use any aftermarket rail system. I've read that it's mil-spec too, so I dunno

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Personally i'd start at PSA. My dealings have always been good. You would save some money in the end too.
    if you wanna piece everything together, and you don't mind proprietary stuff (once I build something, I generally don't swap big parts), I really like my Aero Precision M4E1 upper/handguard. AR15 M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver - Anodized Black | Aero Precision It's solid as all hell, and isnt priced too bad either. I ordered straight from them, and they had a combo price where if you got the upper and HG you saved 20$ or something at the time. I really like the barrel nut too, doesn't rely on gas tube position. The hand guards they have I liked and were actually what I wanted anyway. I would probably cheap out a bit on the lower and get whatever assembly you can find, assembled you can't really beat the price. take your left over funds and buy a nicer trigger. for a BCG I have a PSA I got on sale for like 80$ or so. I researched the living crap out of BCG's and came to the conclusion PSA was just fine. As far as barrels, everyone has their favorite. I have been happy with the Rainier match barrel I got a few years ago. for sights, I kinda like the Magpul Pro metal sights, but i'm out of the loop on irons lately. My mental calculator might be off a bit, but I think you could be close to 800$ depending on the deals goin on right now.
    Good luck man, have fun!

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    get on the palmetto state armory daily deals and wait till the one you want pops up sale. I would go with their lightweight chf "chrome hammer forged" midlength magpul kit http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...o-1-7-ultra-light-moe-defender-rifle-kit.html . It can be had for $500-570 on sale or one of their premium kit kits which comes with a chromed lined barrel and their premium bcg. aimsurplus just had "sold out now" a gov profile spikes midlength upper for $510 which is pretty good but you still need a lower parts kit, stock, buffer tube and spring. Patients will be your best friend now because people are buying everything. Be patient and wait for deals unless you just want to spend more money.. I personally would try to stick to quality stuff not that the ptac and other lower end stuff wont work but for just a little more you can get good quality stuff. You can build a better quality gun for $600-800 than what you can buy. If you want to learn what some of the differences between cheaper AR's and more expensive one these guys are good. http://thearguys.com/

Last edited:

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Good idea going with the Palmetto. It's hard to beat some of the deals they put out.

For future reference, I also 2nd the idea of NEVER buying a $100 barrel off eBay. Personal experience: had a buddy who wanted me to change out a barrel for him. He got both the barrel and the gas block off of eBay, unknown manufacturer. Went to put it together and the barrel extension just dropped in the Colt upper receiver. Extension looked to be finished way undersized and then they coated over it. Went to install the gas block and I bet I have at least a .010-.015" clearance fit. I didn't measure it, but it would have leaked like a sieve. Gave the barrel and gas block back and I believe we went with a Palmetto barrel an BCM gas block.

kjf48197

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2012
    Indy south side
    I built 2 custom mil spec ar's for $700 each....300BLK and a 24" h-bar 1-9 223 wylde. Both have 2 stage triggers. I hit the internet sales and the gun shows to get the best deals. Optics not included in the price

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Anderson arms.

Lower $50

Upper 50 The upper I got takes no assist or door

Adjustable gas block 45

Midway, AR-Stoner Barrel 90 It was a 1in 7 twist 16" long

Midway, Free float hand guard 70 made by Nordic, rifle length. Still on sale.

Midway, Mission First 50 Minimalist Stock

Midway, Lower parts kit 50 With out trigger.

Anderson Arms gas tube 10

Anderson Arms AR 16 BCG 110

Midway ALG Defense Trigger 70 Pull weight on this trigger is around 5lbs. It isn't bad for a cheap trigger.

Midway. buffer tube 40 by AR- Stoner, it came with every thing you need.

That's a total of $ 635

Now I added a Scope not irons. Any way that will give you $165 to spend on irons or a scope. This rifle is light and has a good trigger. Not great but very usable at five pound pull. The barrel that I got is very accurate and loves Sierra 65gr game kings. I also like the Stock. It don't rattle and is very comfortable as well as being adjustable. The adjustable gas block after adjusted makes the rifle very easy shooting.

That was my last build. I like it more than anything that I could buy for the same money. I have had no problems out of it.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom