• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Can some people provide me with feedback on what to look for when researching the best AR to buy with my tax check for around 700-1000 bucks. I recently saw this Panther DPMS weapon for under 700....Why is this weapon so affordable compared to a similar weapon for around $1000-$1500...I don't necessarily need model recommendations but what the differences are and what features are important in a AR...below is the link for the Panther I mentioned above...so there you go....

DPMS Panther Sportical Rifle RFLPWCP, 223 Remington/5.56 NATO, Semi-Auto, 16 inch BBL, Black Syn Adj

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    Let me explain! If you purchase that rifle you prolly will not be happy! The reason they are so cheap is because the gun isn't as good of factory spec and the tolerences arn't as good as the 1,000$ to 1,500$ gun! Some DPMS is ok but I suggest you stray from the sportical line! If you spend another 100$ to 200$ you could build a Rock River or something else a little better. Guns are no different than anything else in life you get what you pay for!

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    If your mechanically enclined or can follow directions I suggest you build your own it's cheaper and you get what you want out of it!

Can some people provide me with feedback on what to look for when researching the best AR to buy with my tax check for around 700-1000 bucks. I recently saw this Panther DPMS weapon for under 700....Why is this weapon so affordable compared to a similar weapon for around $1000-$1500...I don't necessarily need model recommendations but what the differences are and what features are important in a AR...below is the link for the Panther I mentioned above...so there you go....

DPMS Panther Sportical Rifle RFLPWCP, 223 Remington/5.56 NATO, Semi-Auto, 16 inch BBL, Black Syn Adj

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The sportical has a slab-side receiver without forward assist or IIRC a dust cover. To my recollection, it is also made out of a different grade of aluminum. There is a railed gas block, which I actually prefer, but involves the expense of some sort of front sight to put on it if you want irons. That said, forward assist and the dust cover are two things I really don't EVER use.

If something is stuck in the chamber, jamming it in further with the Forward Assist isn't going to solve your problems. It may allow you one more round off, but you had better be prepared for a significant amount of downtime to get that bolt back/stuck case out/etc.

As I recall they also don't have a shell deflector. If you are right handed that usually isn't an issue but if you are a lefty you may want to look elsewhere.

As to dust covers, my needs simply do not include them.

I have owned a dpms ar15 before and it ran like a champ. That said, others have had different experiences.

It really comes down to what you are looking for. If you require the latest/greatest with the least possibility of any issues, then go Colt/LMT/Noveske etc. This will get you features like:

-chrome lined barrel
    -high pressure/magnetic particle tested bolt/barrel
    -properly staked gas key from the factory
    -higher grade aluminum upper receiver
    -forward assist/shell deflector/dust cover
    -higher grade barrel steel

If you want an AR to shoot and have some time to make sure it is good to go then I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a sportical.

I personally am a big fan of LMT. If you buy the upper and lower separately, you can put a m4gery together for under a grand. If you want a clue to their reliability, find the video of mrjducky dumping a 150 round drum through one of their 10.5 inch uppers on an m16 lower.

Best,

Joe

Last edited:

MarioMarietta

Marksman
    Rating - 96.9%
    61   2   1
    Apr 20, 2010
    Clinton Indiana
    I shoot Doublestar 15s and do some side work for them. I love there stuff I also use some noveske stuff and have alot of respect for LMT and Daniels Defense but I would try to stay away from DPMS!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Best value in mil-spec M4 right now is the Spikes Tactical ST-15LE. All the mil-spec goodies of a Colt with the price tag of DPMS.

ST-15 M4 LE Carbine [STR5025-M4S] - $799.95 : Spikes Tactical

Or, if you do some research on the benefits of the mid-length gas system, they have those for an additional $10.

ST-15 Mid-Length LE Carbine [STR5035-MLS] - $809.95 : Spikes Tactical

I also know that Profire Arms is a Spikes dealer here on INGO.

this, for the $ you cannot go wrong. I'm currently putting one of their m4s together for my boss, just waiting on the upper to get back from the "chop shop".:ar15:

edit: out of the 4 ars i own, my dpms would be the last one i grabbed if the SHTF!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I feel like I am mechanically inclined enough to build one but not sure where to start and what parts are compatible...can someone get me started? Building one would be easier on the budget and my ears (from the wife-lol) ...you married guys know what I mean...

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I feel like I am mechanically inclined enough to build one

My advice is to buy your first, build the rest.

Not only will you be able to go shooting immediately this way, but having the finished product in front of you gives you a better understanding of how everything works together. Then, when you build your next one, you'll have a template for how it "should" be.

OTOH, building it piece-by-piece is easier on the budget, as you can stretch your dollars over time.

Personal preference.

longrifle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2010
    i am also looking into buying an AR in the near future, but money is a little bit of a roadblock for me right now. looking for around 7-8 hundred, that spike tac model looks pretty nice for the money, what about olympic arms or some of the other "bargain" brands, yay or nay?

Top Bottom