• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Is a comp or brake necessary on an AR? I'm sure it will go bang every time. .223 recoil is not an issue to me. Muzzle flash is also non-issue. Say one had a 20 inch bbl and lopped it off to 16 leaving no threads........ Any issues? No F/H, seems ok to me. Any drawbacks? I'm sure the best option would to purchase a new bbl, but I'm not made of money and I have the tools and ability.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    There would be no problems having a bare muzzle as long as after cutting it you put a good crown on it. Having a good crown is more important when it comes to accuracy. If you look at the majority of hunting rifles, you will note that most have bare muzzles.

Just remember if you do cut down a barrel, give yourself an extra quarter to half an inch to play with. You don't want to accidently find that your barrel is shorter than the "new second amendment" allows.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    You already touched on the biggest issue I think - muzzle flash without is considerable! I took a carbine class with a dissipator that had no break, and caught all kinds of heck about the fireball that thing was shooting out. You might not think it matters, until you need to use it in a situation and it's giving your position away emphatically and you would rather it wasn't. It's relatively inexpensive to have them thread it and install an A2 break (did so on my dissipator). :twocents:

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    All the folks in NJ and other states that didn't repeal the assault weapons ban have no flash hiders on their ARs. The flash will be your only issue if you put a good crown on it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    you might try to trade it first, why work at cutting and cleaning when you might find a trade/ swape 16 for a 20 some folks like 20" for prarie dogin.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    you might try to trade it first, why work at cutting and cleaning when you might find a trade/ swape 16 for a 20 some folks like 20" for prarie dogin.

That is probably the most logical bet. Why kill a perfectly good 20"? Im sure you could find someone to trade a 16" for a 20". Since you are talking about chopping it, Im sure its not the worlds most expensive barrel.

ret

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    I acquired an ar and thought they were a robust design - never fail. I think now I was wrong. Even though the one I have eats absolutley anything. i know so many with them that have soooo many issues. may I should have stuck with bolt action.

Top Bottom