• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I ran into a problem yesterday. I took my clean/lubed AR to the range yesterday with sone TulAmmo 223. Loaded up a 30 RD clip and they ran perfect. Tossed in another 30 rds andthen started having issues. I beleive the gun was short cycling, i would fire one round and then it wiuld fail to chamber another round. I ran another 10 through it to see if it would correct itself, but it did not. I tossed a clip of brass in and it ran just fine.

Has anyone else had this issue and fixed it? I have 1000 rds left for plinking so id like to get it to run. After a couple quick google searches it seemed the recomendation was to use a lighter buffer tube. Anyways, i thought I would check in here first to see if anyone else has ran into this and if they found a work around.

Im kind of confused since it ran the first 30, no problem.

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    I've been running Tula 223 almost exclusively out of my ar and vector and have had no problems. If you don't get the problem fixed, I'll take some of the Tula ammo off your hand.Some rifles don't like tula but it is weird that it ran for the 1st 30 rounds.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Please describe your AR setup. i.e. you just built it, you just changed out something in the gas system, you removed the FSB or gasblock and installed a free float rail, ect.

If you are loosing gas some where, most likely at you gas key (check the bolts) tula won't cycle while "hotter" ammo will.

If you are running a heavier buffer, you could try a carbine weight one and see if it will cycle.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What buffer is in there now? I would NOT change it if it's a standard "H" just to accomodate cheap steel case ammo.

Carbine brand, setup, etc....need more info. mvician is on the right track. It very likely could just be the ammo as well, there are countless tula/wolf related problems exactly like you are describing.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Please describe your AR setup. i.e. you just built it, you just changed out something in the gas system, you removed the FSB or gasblock and installed a free float rail, ect.

If you are loosing gas some where, most likely at you gas key (check the bolts) tula won't cycle while "hotter" ammo will.

From past, personal experience and other encounters ... I would look here first. I would bet my money you are losing gas somewhere.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I had this issue with my Armalite (m15A2), 100% factory stock. The rifle would run fine on American Eagle, but short stroked with Wolf about 75% of the time. I switched out the gas ring for a 1 piece, and it did not help that situation. My hand loads were working just fine too, loaded with Win 748, BL-C2, and Varget. I assumed that the Wolf was under powered, and that was the cause of the issues. After checking velocities over a chronograph, I found that the Wolf ammo was loaded at similar velocities to the brass cased ammo that worked fine. The only conclusion that I can come to with this is that the powder that Wolf is loaded with is not as compatible with the gas system as the American loaded ammo is. Some rifles work fine with the Wolf, other rifles are not so forgiving. Lightening of the buffer assembly might help, and making sure that the gas system is 100% is another place to look into.

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't mean to insult your knowledge, as I'm still learning about the AR-15 platform, but this sticky post from ar15.com helped me see the light of its overall operation: How it Works- The AR gas operation and how everything works in harmony. - AR15.COM

Thanks filor the link, great information. The guys that suggested a gas problem are prob. right on.

It looks like i need to check into staking the gas key. Also the front gas block came loose last week after a few clips. I just tightened it back up, still feels to be pretty snug at the moment.

sigrome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    Buy good Ammo, and you will get good shoots, buy crap ammo and you will get a dirty gun and bad groupings

garyindiane

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Bright, Dearborn County
    Thanks filor the link, great information. The guys that suggested a gas problem are prob. right on.

It looks like i need to check into staking the gas key. Also the front gas block came loose last week after a few clips. I just tightened it back up, still feels to be pretty snug at the moment.

I am going to say you did not get the block back on square or far enough down of the barrel. You gas hole in the barrel is probley halfway blocked.

-Gary

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like this is likely the trouble spot, ill take it apart and check it out tonight. Would that make sense thought since it ran one clip no problem and then ran into issues on the next magazine

pitbull1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    hmm, if SHTF, I want my AR to run ANYTHING I CAN FIND!

I agree, my cheaper AKs shoot everything. Now i want my pretty AR to get its act together and go BANG everytime :)

I took the front gas block off and nothing appeared out of place, it was a bit loose again though. Gas key screws were a bit loose also. (WTF lol) Tightened it back down, heading out to try it again. Thanks for all the input!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I agree, my cheaper AKs shoot everything. Now i want my pretty AR to get its act together and go BANG everytime :)

I took the front gas block off and nothing appeared out of place, it was a bit loose again though. Gas key screws were a bit loose also. (WTF lol) Tightened it back down, heading out to try it again. Thanks for all the input!

You found your problem. Now, make sure it's fixed right (stake that key down). There's no room for a bit loose in your gas system.

Oh yeah, finish your inspection. Just because you found one problem doesn't mean there wasn't another one ... or two.

Top Bottom