• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok so basically wherever I get the best scope picture in a variety of shooting positions, regardless of the position of the eyepiece to the charging handle. Gotcha. So more T&E is necessary.

Also can anyone recommend some good 45° buis? I'm thinking about ditching the Troys. They've already come loose within just a couple hundred rounds.
    I have some knockoff G&Gs that I really like. Not adjustable, but if I'm going to these, I'm not taking time to adjust the sights. I just need to know that I'm on target (more or less)

My only beef is they are a bit pricey for no more than they are.

But hey, I'm a lefty, and all of the others Ive seen I'd have to mount backwards and look "the wrong way" through the rear sight because you cant flip the rear adjustable sight around.

Edit: I lucked out and paid what they are worth on ebay. $30. LOL Definitely a knockoff at that price. It was sold under a different brand (Greenblob?) and shipped from mainland China. Aand when I went to buy a 2nd and he said he only had a different color. OK. Went to buy another 6 month later and they were unavailable. So I suspect G&G found out and made them stop.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    But hey, I'm a lefty, and all of the others Ive seen I'd have to mount backwards and look "the wrong way" through the rear sight
    That is the problem I'm having with the Troy sights. They are made to be ambi so the aperture can detach from the mounting base and be turned around. That screw that holds the sight to the base comes loose. I could lock tite it but I think I'd prefer something that's one piece. There are other things that are slightly annoying about them too but that's the big one

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Ok so dumb question. Should I move the scope forward on my rifle? I know it's common to run the optic slightly forward or even with the charging handle for ease of manipulation, but with the length of pull set to where I like it, 5th click, where it is gives me proper eye relief when I bring it to my shoulder. So does it really make a difference or is it more personal preference? This rifle is still a work in progress so I am willing to make changes if it will improve anything. Thanks to anyone who responds!
    What's the purpose of this rifle?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Then I wouldn't do just a magnified optic then. They're not the kit for close and dirty work
    20231117_072050.jpg

Yeah I know. That's why I have the 45°buis. Plus it's a 1-6 power so it could be used for close up if needed. I'm just wondering if my placement is proper or if I should move things around to make manipulation easier. I'll play with it some more this weekend. Nothing is really locked down on this rifle yet except the furniture. I'm happy with it. The optic and sights may still change.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    View attachment 312619

Yeah I know. That's why I have the 45°buis. Plus it's a 1-6 power so it could be used for close up if needed. I'm just wondering if my placement is proper or if I should move things around to make manipulation easier. I'll play with it some more this weekend. Nothing is really locked down on this rifle yet except the furniture. I'm happy with it. The optic and sights may still change.
    For me, the optic needs to be moved forward. I like the end of my scope oculars to be lined up with the CH. The higher quality optics will a have a better eye box so they're more forgiving in less than conventional shooting scenarios. I'm personally not a fan of LPVOs. Nothing against people who run them

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    View attachment 312619

1) set the stock to the length of pull that you want. Good rule of thumb is to hold the gun pointed up, grip in hand trigger finger straight, arm 90 degrees. Adjust the stock to the to the length of your forearm.

2) set your scope on max power. Move it closer or further until you can see everything inside the scope without a little black halo around the sight picture. I usually do this while in a kneeling and prone position.

3) the 45 degree sights you seek are the MagPul Pros. But with a 1x -6x they really aren’t needed. But damn do they look cool.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    For me, the optic needs to be moved forward. I like the end of my scope oculars to be lined up with the CH. The higher quality optics will a have a better eye box so they're more forgiving in less than conventional shooting scenarios. I'm personally not a fan of LPVOs. Nothing against people who run them
    Thank you! This rifle doesn't have a whole lot of rounds through it yet. I'm still working on its setup. Working the bugs out

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Thank you! This rifle doesn't have a whole lot of rounds through it yet. I'm still working on its setup. Working the bugs out
    Always liked my rifle to be quick and easy on sight picture. The tip of my nose on charging handle. Let’s face it, 5.56 is a 22 LR on speed steroids- no real recoil. So, sight picture on back up 45 degree, canted irons; quick to acquire if your head lands on the cheek rest. I don’t know if you can set your optic the same way, but when your view thru the scope is almost automatic when the tip of your nose touches the charging handle, the breathing and trigger squeeze sequences become easier. I was able to accomplish this on my M-4 in Iraq.
    We had a whole lot going on the rails. M-68 sight recticle, PVS 14 night vision, with PAC 4 laser up on the Quad. Those poor camel jockeys never had a chance with their AKs. “Never used burst because it’s the worst, that’s what SAWs are for….belt fed causes towel heads to be dead”. 11b, “Lite” Infantry!!!

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I understand the "working the bugs out" and getting a feel for different setups to see what you like and don't. A lot of guys have been down that road and tried a lot things till they finally settle on a setup usually based on usuage. In a general purpose rifle I'm looking at what setup will serve me in most all situations pretty darn well given its platform and caliber. Of course there's tradeoffs/ pros and cons to everything. I just want the rifle to be a good jack of all trades. It kinda has to be if it's going to be "the one" that you pick up in a TEOTWAWKI situation. In reality a 5.56 carbine for me will be a 0-400yd rifle. And I won't going on the offensive at 300-400 if I don't have to especially if they don't know my position. So with a quality red dot or prism will get you out to 200 with same POA. They're faster at closer distance and they don't care about eye relief or shooting positions. I choose an ACOG/RMR. It gives me best of both worlds. And I can maintain 4 points of contact on the rifle and go back and forth between 1x and 4x. The form factor is shorter and usually a little lighter than a quality 1-6 with mount. Last thing you want is being on a 2 way range with 75yds between you and them and in a odd position and having to fool around with your ocular zoom trying to keep a decent field of view and finding an eye box. Just my thoughts. Hopefully that makes sense and helps

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Had some time between this afternoon to play with it some while the wife was at work and the kids at daycare. Tried kneeling and prone on the living room floor. I hate prone. Anyway, ended up moving the scope three notches forward gave me the best eye relief in prone while maintaining good eye relief while standing/kneeling. Thanks for your input everyone!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've been spending some time with this Geissele, I grouped and zeroed it with the Aimpoint PRO and now want to see what it's really capable of with an optic.

yIJbXDIl.jpg

03wFQrjl.jpg

1dohxoml.jpg

armymen0268

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2023
    Indiana
    Still one I'd like to get one day. I wasn't a huge fan of the trigger though. What trigger does it take?
    They are specific to the Bren, I think Dan Haga made a lower that would take a Geissele or something of the sort, but the lower alone was in the $3-400 ballpark iirc. Also it was billet, so basically made a chunky ar15 just to have a trigger lol I am normally a flat shoe guy but learned to rip on the factory one..They do take some getting use to coming from mil spec or nicer ar15 triggers

BravoOneFour

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 20, 2023
    kokomo
    They are specific to the Bren, I think Dan Haga made a lower that would take a Geissele or something of the sort, but the lower alone was in the $3-400 ballpark iirc. Also it was billet, so basically made a chunky ar15 just to have a trigger lol I am normally a flat shoe guy but learned to rip on the factory one..They do take some getting use to coming from mil spec or nicer ar15 triggers
    I've just been spoiled by years of nothing but giesele I guess lol

armymen0268

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2023
    Indiana
    I've just been spoiled by years of nothing but giesele I guess lol
    When things go back to normal or we split a case or two I’ll let you take it and run it for a day..It’s really enjoyable except the grip angle for me. I’m really into the more vertical/flat grips. It could just be my wrists from riding motorcycles my whole life lol

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom