• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    I just finished my first AR rifle build. Got a BCM complete upper with a BCM bcg. Took it out today for the first time and had many light strikes, and fires. Right now I'm chalking it up to heavy grease that came on the bcg and the cold. Could this be the problem? Or should I start the processe of returning the bcg? Thanks.

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    That cosmoline can cause issues. Why didn't you clean it and put good lube on it first?
    I think I just got a little too excited. I had only shot .22 before and this is my first AR. I was just looking to put my mind at ease. So just a little bit of Rem Oil?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Clean the BCG up properly, lube it with CLP or amother good oil and also make sure your hammer spring is set up properly with the legs of the spring on the trigger pin.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, clean it. Clean it well, and lube it... Then shoot it, if the problem continues it will then obviously be time to look elsewhere.

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    When it did fire, it was good. But now I know I need to get some anti-walk pins for the trigger. But the springs are still in the right place. Already planing my next build.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I think I just got a little too excited. I had only shot .22 before and this is my first AR. I was just looking to put my mind at ease. So just a little bit of Rem Oil?

Clean the BCG up properly, lube it with CLP or amother good oil and also make sure your hammer spring is set up properly with the legs of the spring on the trigger pin.

The two bold sections are not one and the same. I keep Rem Oil in my range bag as a range tool only in case I find that a firearm needs an extra dosage before taking it home and hitting it with a proper cleaner and lubricant.

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    Thanks everyone. First brand spanking new rifle, and dumb mistakes. It's clean and re-lubed, going to try again tomorrow.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    When it did fire, it was good. But now I know I need to get some anti-walk pins for the trigger. But the springs are still in the right place. Already planing my next build.
    You don't NEED anti-walk pins. Some people like them but the trigger pins don't usually work themselves loose anyway.

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    it was warm weather , but both ar's ive put together have yet to have ANY cycling issues at all !!! oops , forgot about those reloads i tried, they had only been neck sized ... gave them to friend to run thru his bolt action...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'd say it's safe to say that the hammer spring was on backwards. Unless that BCG had been laying around in someone's inventory for a LONG time, that hammer should hit with enough authority to move it.

Or, maybe the cotter pin that holds in the firing pin, maybe the firing pin wasn't installed properly but it wouldn't fire at all in that case.

As for grease, I rarely use grease in my ARs. Maybe some super fine grease like Slip 2000 EWG or a little bit of Tetra in the receiver extension if it's brand new, but I normally just let the excess lube (slip 2000 EWL) from the BCG drain into the receiver extension and it gets things nice and slick

MetGel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2014
    Columbus
    You don't NEED anti-walk pins. Some people like them but the trigger pins don't usually work themselves loose anyway.
    The trigger pin was coming out. Had to push it in more than once. I used a CMMG parts kit and that was the only pin I had trouble with.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I always run my weapons dry. With a DI action, lube just soaks up grease or oil and becomes a sticky mess, and pistons honestly don't need much. Dry carbon itself acts as a lubricant, but there are untold thousands of threads on this discussion with no clear answer, so YMMV. Either way, I humped a rifle and pistol every day in dusty, unfriendly climes, and never had any issues other than a daily stripping and dusting off.

I will say that in my experience, the Army commonly only uses weapons grease on the Mk 19. LAW/LSA/LSAT, but we always called it "whale sperm". Otherwise, CSW's on the line usually had a squirt-bottle of CLP nearby for flood lubrication, but that was overkill and just made it a necessity once begun. Very similar to machining with carbide tools: you have to either run them totally dry or totally flooded to avoid major issues.

Top Bottom