• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I bought a new Rock River AR at the last 1500 show , it is the 16" M-4 version , I went to shoot it , using American Eagle 5.56 ammo , in a Magpul mag , I fired the first round but the second would not fire , the only way to get the second round to fire was rotate the safety selector about 1/8" toward the safe postion , then I would hear a "click" and I put it back on fire and it would now fire the second round.
    It did this every single time.
    Anyone have any ideas ?
    or has this happened to anyone else ?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Sounds like something isn't lining up right in the trigger/safety mechanism, could be a defect in the safety selctor and the way it was machined, could also be that they forgot to put the pin in that catches the selctor and holds it in the desired postion. with it being brand new, id call rock river or the dealer u got it from and see what they think cause it oughta have a warranty.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Can you feel the selector positively stop at both the safe and fire position? It should litterally fell like it has snapped into place, and you may even here a "click." Like the others said, it sounds like it could be an issue with the selector.

FWIW, I had a selector that came with a low priced Lower Parts kit that did have the detent positions incorrectly machined. In that case, the selector wouldn't positively engage the safe position.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    it locks into the safe postion and will not fire in safe , it is after the first round is fired , it feeds the second round , but will not fire , if I move the safety selector just a little , it clicks , and then I place it back in fire and it will fire , but then I have to do it all over again.
    I called RR , they said there is nothing wrong with the rifle , it just needs to be cleaned.
    I just noticed while I have it torn apart ,the hammer is catching the disconnector and locking on until the safety selector is moved enough to release it.
    I had a friend of mine compare it to his Bushmaster he said the disconnector
    in my rifle is way too long , and needs to be replaced.
    He seems to think it could be parts from a 3 round burst model or from a full auto model ????
    As far as contacting the dealer I bought it from , it seems he only does shows and doesn't even have a fixed place of business.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Rock River can say anything they want, over the phone. Send it back to them and they will be forced to function test it, make any necessary repairs, and send it back to you. Even if the repair is just "cleaning" it.

My experience with RRA customer service and warranty claims has been top notch. The company is highly regarded by me.

Too bad you are so far away, the local RRA dealer would fix the problem for you with a smile.

Have you learned something about dealing with car trunk gun dealers? Wait a minute, don't you HAVE to have a fixed place of business to get and keep a FFL?

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    car trunk dealers ?
    Yes I thought ATFE fixed that , they had a shop but closed it and now only do shows.
    I normally only buy from one or two local shops and only buy parts and ammo at the 1500 , but this guy had this rifle at such a good price I couldn't pass it up.
    If nothing else I learn how to totally rebuild a lower.
    although I think I could fix the problem with a small file in about 2 minutes.
    but I'll order the parts and let him replace them .

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So, the disconnector is catching the hammer. I tried to duplicate the failure on one of mine right now. With the trigger depressed like it had just been fired, the disconnector catches the spur on the hammer. If I let go, the trigger "resets." If I keep the trigger to the rear with light pressure from my trigger finger, I can force it to reset by moving the selector towards safe. I get a distinctive "Click" as the sear engages the hammer.

Are you sure that the trigger is resetting after you fire? Perhaps there is something keeping it from resetting, such as dirt, debris, or a mis-installed spring or soemthing.

Hopefully RRA can help you out.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    it locks into the safe postion and will not fire in safe , it is after the first round is fired , it feeds the second round , but will not fire , if I move the safety selector just a little , it clicks , and then I place it back in fire and it will fire , but then I have to do it all over again.
    I called RR , they said there is nothing wrong with the rifle , it just needs to be cleaned.
    I just noticed while I have it torn apart ,the hammer is catching the disconnector and locking on until the safety selector is moved enough to release it.
    I had a friend of mine compare it to his Bushmaster he said the disconnector
    in my rifle is way too long , and needs to be replaced.
    He seems to think it could be parts from a 3 round burst model or from a full auto model ????
    As far as contacting the dealer I bought it from , it seems he only does shows and doesn't even have a fixed place of business.

Sine youre in franklin, Take it down to clint and joe at acme in seymour, they deal with rock river alot and they've helped me before on a gun I didn't buy from them. Heck, clint is very knowledgeable on ARs as joe and one of them can probably spot the problem pretty quick.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I just ordered a lower parts kit , I would have spent pretty much the same amount on shipping , and then when I picked it up , I'd probably have to pay a fee to transfer it back to me , so for the same price I keep the rifle in my possession , and have a friend who has plenty of experience building AR's put it together for me, best of all he won't charge me.

79BRUISER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    I had the same problem on the first AR I built. The reset spring on the trigger is in upside down. It should be large end down. It's a PITA to get inside the catch but it will fit. You might have to twist it to get it in and the pins lined up.

If you push the trigger forward it should reset the catch and function fine, but it needs to be fixed correctly.

Hope this helps.

Bruiser.

Redemption

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    ^^^^This.

The trigger spring is in wrong. I examined several "complete lowers" at the last 1500 and was amazed at how many hammer springs were in wrong. It's only safe to assume that trigger springs get done the same way. 10 min. fix.

edit: I mean the actual trigger spring, not the disconnector spring that the above is talking about.

Last edited:

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Call RRA back and ask to talk to BJ and tell him the safety selector is not working and he will take care of it. I had a FSP that didnt turn with a tool,bullet,needlenose pliers nothing. I called and talked to him and he sent UPS to my house the next day and picked up my rifle! I had it back in about a week and they even touched up a scratch on my barrel for nothing. It didnt cost me a dime. Talk nicely to BJ and he will try to help ya out.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I had the same problem on the first AR I built. The reset spring on the trigger is in upside down. It should be large end down. It's a PITA to get inside the catch but it will fit. You might have to twist it to get it in and the pins lined up.

If you push the trigger forward it should reset the catch and function fine, but it needs to be fixed correctly.

Hope this helps.

Bruiser.

1. Nice try on the diagnostic.

2. You're not the "Bruiser" who published the "My life as a streetsweeper" mini book are you?

Top Bottom