• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Paracord

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Hello everyone,

Being kinda new to ARs I have a couple of questions about quality versus price on uppers. I would really like to get a Bravo Company complete upper with a BCG and charging handle. That however will run me an upwards of $700 plus dollars. The other option I'm considering is a complete PSA upper with BCG and Charging handle. They have those on sale regularly for around $400-$500.

I'm trying to stay under $1000 for the whole build including accessories if possible. I'm at $225 for the lower right now which leaves about $500-$600 for the upper and the rest for accessories. My question is: is the quality of the BCM enough to justify the $200 plus price difference from the PSA or not? Also are there other options I should be considering?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hello everyone,

Being kinda new to ARs I have a couple of questions about quality versus price on uppers. I would really like to get a Bravo Company complete upper with a BCG and charging handle. That however will run me an upwards of $700 plus dollars. The other option I'm considering is a complete PSA upper with BCG and Charging handle. They have those on sale regularly for around $400-$500.

I'm trying to stay under $1000 for the whole build including accessories if possible. I'm at $225 for the lower right now which leaves about $500-$600 for the upper and the rest for accessories. My question is: is the quality of the BCM enough to justify the $200 plus price difference from the PSA or not? Also are there other options I should be considering?

Any advise would be appreciated!

Thanks in advanced!

Can't say enough positive things about PSA. I have one of their premium uppers. I got in on sale for $309 with free shipping. I went with a BCM BCG and a Gunfighter mod 4 charging handle. So I have roughly $500 in the upper.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Go with the PSA. I have one two years old, probably 3-4000 rounds through it without a hiccup. If your just using it for plinking and home defense save the money and use the difference for ammo or optics. I love my PSA upper, have bought a couple more since I bought the first one.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Go with the PSA. I have one two years old, probably 3-4000 rounds through it without a hiccup. If your just using it for plinking and home defense save the money and use the difference for ammo or optics. I love my PSA upper, have bought a couple more since I bought the first one.

I don't baby mine a bit, and train witn it quite often. It has seen everything but snow and sand.

A1Paracord

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    What are your intentions with the rifle?

Building it mainly for plinking and home defense, possibly some predator hunting. I just want an all around rifle that I can take a couple of classes with and shoot (obviously). This is my first build and first AR so I'm trying to get the best of a few different worlds.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Its worth the extra money if you want it.... But the PSA items will do you just fine, Ive used their stuff a lot and never had a problem.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The PSA will serve you fine. BUT if you really want the BCM and go with the PSA, it will forever be in the back of your mind that you should have gone with the BCM.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got several PSA's, and I've run a wide variety of ammo, including steel case through them, without a hitch.

I'm wondering of the Colt or BCM fans can tell me what exactly they do differently than PSA? I know PSA has different levels, so let's compare the top of the line PSA with cold hammer forged barrels. No one has been able to nail down precisely what the marquee brands do better in terms of parts, coatings, materials, or what.

I've also got a Spike's, and it is fantastic, but I don't see a diff with my PSA's, either.

A1Paracord

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    The PSA will serve you fine. BUT if you really want the BCM and go with the PSA, it will forever be in the back of your mind that you should have gone with the BCM.

And there in lies my problem! I want a BCM but I like the price of the PSA a whole lot better. Decisions, decisions...

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    PSA and Spike's Tactical have the same supplier for their CHF barrels (FN). Have you watched the PSA video?[video=youtube;g2rG8xXfDbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rG8xXfDbg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

A1Paracord

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    PSA and Spike's Tactical have the same supplier for their CHF barrels (FN). Have you watched the PSA video?[video=youtube;g2rG8xXfDbg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2rG8xXfDbg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Wow! Awesome video! I haven't seen it before but now I think I'm convinced that they are quality. Thanks!

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Quality comes with a price period, I helped my bro getting a PSA mid premium rifle and not to long ago I mounted and optic on it and in my opinion he got a good rifle for a good price. I'm not trying to be mean but in the AR world $200 is a concern to you wait until you get your rifle and want to add things, not to mention any trip to the range (two trips 600 rds $240.00) so if money is an issue don't buy the rifle.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    He buried it with the ejection port open BUT!!!!! He buried with the port open and FACING DOWN!!!

it would be a whole different story if it were buried port open and facing up. Also, port in the water submersion doesn't mean anything! The port is NOT water or even airtight! ,tater of fact, the whole bottom of an AR is wide open with no mag inserted.

not saying this a junk mfg but, I will call BS on some of the things they are claiming.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    He buried it with the ejection port open BUT!!!!! He buried with the port open and FACING DOWN!!!

it would be a whole different story if it were buried port open and facing up. Also, port in the water submersion doesn't mean anything! The port is NOT water or even airtight! ,tater of fact, the whole bottom of an AR is wide open with no mag inserted.

not saying this a junk mfg but, I will call BS on some of the things they are claiming.
    Noticed these same things but I was unwilling to ague with the PSA clan. There was also a FTF but they clearly stated no failures. (Only failure was the drag test according to them). But, appears to be top notch and good pricing by their specs. I plan to get one for a build and I'll see how I feel about them after that.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Quality comes with a price period, I helped my bro getting a PSA mid premium rifle and not to long ago I mounted and optic on it and in my opinion he got a good rifle for a good price. I'm not trying to be mean but in the AR world $200 is a concern to you wait until you get your rifle and want to add things, not to mention any trip to the range (two trips 600 rds $240.00) so if money is an issue don't buy the rifle.

Many products are made with the same materials, and made to the same specs. Often you pay for a name.

Top Bottom