• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My first build (of 7) was an AR10. Had so much fun I built 6 AR15's afterward. There's really no difference in the process.
    I agree, the actual process is practically identical; if you can build one, you can build the other.

That said, I would still recommend an AR-15 for a 1st build. For me it hinges on the sheer amount of options that are available for an AR-15 vs an AR-10/SR-25. As others have pointed out, you're not likely to save much by building so you might as well pick the platform that comes with the largest variety of parts and build exactly what you want.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree, the actual process is practically identical; if you can build one, you can build the other.

That said, I would still recommend an AR-15 for a 1st build. For me it hinges on the sheer amount of options that are available for an AR-15 vs an AR-10/SR-25. As others have pointed out, you're not likely to save much by building so you might as well pick the platform that comes with the largest variety of parts and build exactly what you want.
    I had owned an AR-15 previously and didn't care for it (I'm somewhat of a recoil junkie :): ). I always thought I might like one in 308 so that's what interested me in the first place. When I gave the AR-15's another chance, I ended up liking them more the second time around.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I had owned an AR-15 previously and didn't care for it (I'm somewhat of a recoil junkie :): ). I always thought I might like one in 308 so that's what interested me in the first place. When I gave the AR-15's another chance, I ended up liking them more the second time around.
    Oh, I get it!

Attachments

• DSCF1559.JPG
      DSCF1559.JPG
      578.9 KB · Views: 8

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Heavy ammo, heavy gun? C'mon bro, eat a sammich..
    Expensive? Havnt seen "cheap" 223 or 556 in a very long time. Come to think of it, havnt seen any cheap ammo in a very long time.

Big bang or little bang, they're both great platforms imo.

Yep....and I know which one will drop a hogs!

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_0593.JPG

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I was actually referring to the new POF "rogue" it's an ar15 in 308. It's not a dpms pattern. It's only 6lbs offered in a 16.5" or 12.5" barrel.
    Sorry, I didnt read it completely. You would be correct. That's not a "normal" AR platform though. I was referring to the normal AR10 & AR15 platforms.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Heavy ammo, heavy gun? C'mon bro, eat a sammich..
    Expensive? Havnt seen "cheap" 223 or 556 in a very long time. Come to think of it, havnt seen any cheap ammo in a very long time.

Big bang or little bang, they're both great platforms imo.
    I believe the correct term is now “cheapER”. No ammo is as cheap as it was.

crosse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2015
    PNW
    AR10/AR308s I've always left to the factory builds. I currently own two DPMS G2 308 rifles that work great. Dual ejector design is great. I had a LMT MWS but thought it was too overbuilt for my needs. I still think the DPMS G2 design is where large caliber AR frames should go. My friend put over $2k in a 20" Mega MATEN 308 build and it sticks with match ammo. His crappy $700 16" DPMS 308 is still 1.5MOA. I don't feel like there's very good support in the AR308 market right now for builders. YMMV.

Top Bottom