• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    meh. Interesting/fun videos, but they prove nothing.

If that's the case then satellite images fail to prove the earth is a sphere.

Lets see how an AR15 that was shot up, ran over by a truck, and is filled with random components actually runs:
    [video=youtube;CoLp3AWeXOM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoLp3AWeXOM[/video]

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    the tests allow for to much inconsistency to be proof of anything other than 'yes if I throw enough crap in a rifle, it will fail'.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Keep and fix the AR. Always better to have two options when it comes to rifle ammo. Given the current state of political and cultural affairs, it may be difficult to find certain calibers of ammo in the future.

Totally agree!!! You never know what ammo will be available. Seems like since the problems in Ukraine, the "Russian import ban" has affected Russian ammo availability!!! The 7.62x54R tins have dried up and the prices are going up!!! Also, 7.62x39 is a little harder to find at cheap prices.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    They're different tools for different jobs.

I wouldn't sell an AR just because I was getting two AKs. Personally, I'd sell one of the AKs so I had one of each AR and AK. Others have made good points above why it's good to have one of each. They're both good rifles. One is not necessarily better than the other though it sounds like you have issues with your AR that need fixed. Fix those or sell the AR and one AK for a good AR.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    the tests allow for to much inconsistency to be proof of anything other than 'yes if I throw enough crap in a rifle, it will fail'.

I think you failed to understand the problem.

The AR15 seals its self from the environment, so that crap doesn't tend to affect it unless you find some way to forcefully put it into the rifle. Meanwhile, because of all the openings on the AK, debris are free to enter into the action and chamber.

This is why the AR15 is going to hands down beat the pants off anything with an open action when it comes to mud. A sand test might be a bit more fair.

Some guns will run fine with mud in the action, but no gun will run once the chamber is mucked up.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    "Ar 15 vs ak"

Well, I'm glad someone had the foresight to bring this taboo subject up for discussion... AGAIN.

I'm considering selling my ar 15 because I am buying 2 ak's. I like my ar platform and I know it's better for a long range gun but I could sell for a decent amount. The ar is great but it jams more than I know an ak would and I know an ak is more reliable. Is it worth keeping or would it be smart to sell?

I'm glad you know the AK is more reliable than the AR. Youtube much? Have the internet keyboard commandos got you worried?

The AK is a good weapon. Get one if you want.

The AR, however, is also a damn fine weapon. Just as reliable, easier to shoot well with, and better laid out. As one who carried an AR styled weapon in the Army for 28 years, and 3 combat deployments, I can tell you that the platform does work.

If you have a problem with an AR, something is wrong with your particular rifle, or ammo... not the design of the system. I have seen both ARs and AKs fail in combat. I have also seen them both perform well. With my issue M16A1, M16A2, or M4, I NEVER had a failure to fire or extract, and NEVER had a failure to feed that wasn't magazine related... in 28 years. At least 90% of the time, it's the shooter that makes the difference. But I'm sure you knew that, with your 8 posts since 2010...

Last edited:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    First off I am Joe nobuddy when it comes to being a AR expert, but before I bought the parts and assembled my own AR platform I went to and joined: www.ar-15.com
    While there I used the links provided and read basically the history of the AR platform of rifles from the AR-1 to the AR-15 that eventually progressed to our present day AR platform of rifles. It explained in detail the reasons behind the early reliability problems. Bottom line was nearly all of the functioning issues with the Viet Nam era rifles could be laid at the feet of design changes of the original Eugene Stoner Design by persons other than Mr. Stoner himself, and the resulting ammunition incompatibility problems, failures due to poorly made/designed magazines as well as Colt's false and rather reckless marketing claims that their version of the rifle needed no cleaning and there fore were issued to our troops with out cleaning kits or maintenance manuals.

I found the history of the AR a fascinating and educating read. After all unless I am mistaken the AR platform of combat rifles are second only to the Kalashnikov design in numbers produced and used in combat world wide by us and (hopefully) our allies.

If your present day AR-15 is not working your rifle is broke not it's design.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think this settles it.

[video=youtube_share;HhGih7eWI3E]http://youtu.be/HhGih7eWI3E?t=4m9s[/video]
    [skip to 4:09] Dang it - I dropped my ham sandwich in my AK again!

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013

My sentiments exactly. I have watched (but once I came to my senses I stopped) dozens of so called firearm torture tests and I almost always end up thinking to my self, "who literally crams any firearm full of debris like mud and then expects it to work?" I understand the point they are trying to make buy freezing HGs in water or burry them in dirt or mud and other similar tests, but I fail to see actually what they prove as although I have never served let alone been in combat, I don't see a circumstance where mud literally gets forcefully packed in to a firearm, dirty muddy water yes and possibly often, but actual mud? I readily admit I have no actual experience in such matters

62chevyimpala

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Totally agree!!! You never know what ammo will be available. Seems like since the problems in Ukraine, the "Russian import ban" has affected Russian ammo availability!!! The 7.62x54R tins have dried up and the prices are going up!!! Also, 7.62x39 is a little harder to find at cheap prices.

I find it for .19 - .22 a round consistently. However, if that's not cheap to you, I guess your point stands....

smidrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Next Door
    I have always leaned towards a good ak alot junk out there now tho. Seems like anymore everybody has to have a AR that's fine..I had have a few HAD...I guess what it all boils down to is what you like and you are wanting..II ko what ima going to grab when the shtf..Mak90 75 round drum with it running my bayonet. .good luck

Top Bottom