• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    A couple of questions about these conversion kits, like the one from CMMG.

1. How accurate are they? I keep hearing that they aren't as accurate due to bullet size and twist rate, but for the life of me I can't find numers. Are we talking two inch groups at 50 yards? 25 yards?

2. Do they do any harm to your rifle at all? I've heard they clog the gas hole, but then I also hear that you just have to shoot a 223 round through them after to clear it out.

Those of you who have them, please school me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    1. My Ceiner conversion kit seems to be slightly less accurate than my dedicated 22lr upper. However I've not really shot them side by side for accuracy, just for fun.

2. No harm to the rifle, but the 22lr is a dirty round and it can clog the gas port. At least that is what the national sales manager for one of the AR15 manufacturers told me. I presume he is correct. He told me that all you need to do is fire a half a magazine full power 5.56/223 rounds through the gun to burn out the 22lr residue.

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    I asked over on arfcom a while ago and was told they're not as accurate as a dedicated .22 rifle, something like a couple inches at 50 yards. Sounded good enough for what they offer

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    I haven't had any major problems with mine. Good enough for plinking but it is a tad bit less accurate just due to the tiny bit of extra room in the barrel.

every so often I'll get a Failure to Fire with winchester bulk packs for .22LR, The carrier won't lock forward, you'll want it well lubed as the 22 barely has enough power to work the action. I just drop the magazine and recharge the rifle (I do kinda worry about a slam fire but haven't had one yet) pop the magazine back in and it's back in business.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    A couple of questions about these conversion kits, like the one from CMMG.

1. How accurate are they? I keep hearing that they aren't as accurate due to bullet size and twist rate, but for the life of me I can't find numers. Are we talking two inch groups at 50 yards? 25 yards?

2. Do they do any harm to your rifle at all? I've heard they clog the gas hole, but then I also hear that you just have to shoot a 223 round through them after to clear it out.

Those of you who have them, please school me.

1. They are not accurate by any definition of "accuracy". I find them to work fine for shooting Steel Challenge and the like.

2. In my experiance <10K rounds+> no they do not harm your rifle in any noticeable way.

I dont remember the last time mine jammed in any way, other than dud ammo.

I will warn you, getting them to eject a UNFIRED round can be a PITA. keep a knife or pick handy if you have to "unload and show clear" with a round in the chamber.

Top Bottom