• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • workinman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    NWI
    can anyone recommend a ar 6.8 upper? will be mounting on RRA lower. looking for mid-length handguard and flattop receiver.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Inquiring minds want to know......

What was your issue with the 6.8 and who's upper did you have ???

There was nothing actually wrong with the upper, it function as it should have. The problem was with the round. Its performance was OVER-promised and it clearly UNDER-delivered. Even with handloads the round is simply not very good.

Here is the real crux of the issue. There are limited production bullet choices that work well, none are suitable for anything out past maybe 225 yards. The ballistic coefficient of the 115 grain bullets are about as aerodynamic as a 1978 Volvo 240DL sedan. It looses energy quickly and drops below 1000ft lbs of energy at roughly 225 yards which means that for ethical hunters that is the MAXIMUM range most people will consider shooting an animal. I can lob a 458 Socom that far and have more energy on the animal for a clean kill.

On the other end of the spectrum the lightweight bullets also are not very plentiful and suffer from even worth aerodynamics (even lower BCs).

This round is very much a modern 30-30. Its good at being a modern 30-30 but since an upper alone can cost more than a modern 30-30 it strikes me that this round is really just what it is. Its also darned expensive to shoot.

Some others here on INGO have come to the same conclusion.

Go 6.5 Grendal, can still use you old 5.56 mags load them to no more than 23.
    FWIW, the 6.8 can also be loaded into 5.56 magazines.

Both the 6.8 SPC and the 6.5 Grendel use 5.56 magazines and both seem to feed using 5.56 magazines but there are dedicated magazines for both and they differ from the 5.56 magazines ONLY by utilizing different followers. But I've had all of them feed reliably under SLOW and MODERATE fire speed conditions using any of the above 3 magazines. Under rapid fire you are best served with the appropriate follower. In all cases the last round or two MAY hang up if you use the wrong magazine, or it may not.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Some others here on INGO have come to the same conclusion.

:thumbsup:

And....in before the 6.8 wildcat, slow twist barrel folks - you know they're coming.

You can search on either me or melensdad and 6.8 to read more about our experiences if you're interested.

I'd be more than happy to sell you whatever flavor of RRA 6.8 SPC upper you'd like, at an attractive price - but I've no personal use for any of them.

rushca01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Here we go again.....

What is your intended purpose/use for the gun?

I don't know why this always ends poorly, choose the caliber based on your needs...and no, know one from 68forums is going to come post over here (except for me :D).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    :thumbsup:

And....in before the 6.8 wildcat, slow twist barrel folks - you know they're coming.

You can search on either me or melensdad and 6.8 to read more about our experiences if you're interested.

I'd be more than happy to sell you whatever flavor of RRA 6.8 SPC upper you'd like, at an attractive price - but I've no personal use for any of them.

And for anyone who does business with Bryan I will say they will be happy because he's a great member here and offers good deals.

But Bryan is also correct that there are going to be folks suggesting that the twist rate on my upper was wrong and to that they would be correct. But that is NOT the big issue, I've also tried to avoid the whole 6.5 Grendel versus 6.8SPC pissing match and just stay with the most relevant facts.

And no matter what twist rate.

And no matter what (legitimate) pressures you load.

The fact is that within the confines of the AR15 platform the bullet choices available for the 6.8SPC really no better than trying to throw bricks. They just don't have the aerodynamics to perform.

Now in a bolt gun, with a longer magazine, there are some amazing custom bullets available with BCs that will allow for great performance and bolt actions that will handle greater pressures. But we're not talking about bolt action guns with $5 lathe turned bullets.

If we are talking about PRODUCTION bullets and PRODUCTION factory loads then the round is a modern 30-30 out of an AR15. It can be pushed but it is never going to be a super round.

Want a better round out of a production gun with factory ammo then I can easily come up with several rounds that will so clearly out perform the 6.8 that it will look silly in comparison. How about starting out with AR15s chambered in 243 WSSM or 25 WSSM? Both of those are far more capable. And the 243 will do double duty as a long range gun too.

Or if you really want to punch a hole in something the 30 OSSM will exceed 308 velocities with 150 grain bullets and will exceed some 30-06 loads. That gun is now in production and factory ammo is now available. It pretty much kicks butt and utilizes 308 caliber bullets. The downside it it won't use the heavy 308 bullets, but it will easily take most game in north America.

The 6.5 Grendel has its fanboys, I am one of them, I think the 6.5 and the 6.8 are pretty similar out to 200 or so yards, but the 6.5 excels in a couple ways that the 6.8 can't match. Bullet choices both LIGHT and HEAVY are much better for the 6.5 and they all perform better because every one is ballistically better than the 6.8 by a fairly wide margin. And for long ranges the 6.5 Gredel simply excels beyond reason. Its not designed to run 1000+ yards but it is capable of beating a 308 out to that range and father. Its just a more versatile round.

Want to do some wildcatting then the 6mm AR is an amazing round that will beat the Grendel in accuracy and the accuracy of the Grendel is inherently very good. The downside of the 6mm AR is its pretty much a custom gun and custom ammo proposition, but it is an excellent performer.

Here we go again.....

What is your intended purpose/use for the gun?

I don't know why this always ends poorly, choose the caliber based on your needs...and no, know one from 68forums is going to come post over here (except for me :D).
    Actually I've been attacked in the past by 6.8Forum guys who came here, made 1 post and then ran away. The posts still exist. Search function is your friend.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    ..::68FORUMS::.. decide for yourself...educate yourself. You will find a lot of people asking what your reason for purchase may be. If you want to talk to people about accuracy and power would suggest wilson combat or AR15 Performance. They both continue to shoot and refine rifles in this round. I always like to hear both sides of the story and decide for myself. I personally have a 6.8 SPC and it does what I wanted. I just hate the cost of ammo unless you reload. Besides, new rounds with Barnes 95 grain TSX out this spring....very good bullet from what I have been reading

selynn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I have (2) 6.8 uppers. 16" POF - LOVE IT and a custom 20" accurate to 600 yards. For those who say that it is not a very credible round just set up some steel (at distance) and shoot it with your 5.56 then do it with the 6.8, Or put up some dry wall sheets and see what happens or try it on a HOG - I have and I liked what happened. I agree that the 6.5 is a great round too but I just like the AR 15 with the 6.8 SPC. IMHO

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I bought my 6.8 'cause I wanted something that shot heavier bullets than 5.56. Wanted something closer to 7.62x39.

I really wanted a 7.62x40 upper but the guy that developed that wildcat stopped making barrels.

Top Bottom