• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So I was thinking of building a couple and wanted a little input. I like supporting local buisnesses, and I like to have nice guns that other 'fans' would appreciate. That being said... in general I have two thoughts of mind about building a pair of AR's.

One I would like to be a 200-300 / cqb type of 5.56, and another .308 SPR sort of deal. If I can get them to both look similar like they were ment to be a pair, that is my goal. Same company to make both of my lowers, use the same troy rail system... things like that.. obviously the optics would be different, but other than that, I would like them to be similar as they could be.

I am also doing this on a piece by piece budget... I'll save for what I want, and won't let cost get into the way too much, but I don't necessarily want to spend the extra coin just to spend it. For this reason I like the sound of Colt internals, but the rest I'm somewhat overwhelmed by to say the least... Anyone want to help point me in some general direction?

I value your advice on this forum, and figure some of you know what you are talking about.. ;)

:ingo::patriot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A 5.56 lower is different than a .308 lower.

Since you want both lowers to be of the same brand then that limits your choices. One that I would recommend you look into would be Mega Machine. They make both sizes of lowers, as does Rock River, LMT, Black Rain, Remington, Armalite and a few others. While I'm not a fan of DPMS, they also make both sizes.

LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    The 5.56mm has options up the wazoo but the .308/7.62 is going to be your limiting factor.

As Melensdad said, you should definitely look into Mega. The MA-TEN is a pretty awesome system for .308 and expands your options slightly for parts.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I don't know of any LGS that you would be able to pick up a full guns worth of parts even getting different parts at different stores. Some places will have lowers and lower parts kits (if they are in stock right now). A few places will have complete uppers with barrel and rails but depending on how custom you want to get you will likely go to the internet for what you need especially the AR-10 (.308) lower.

You can achieve the same look if not the same brand by using "mil-spec" uppers and lowers since they should be going off the same specs. Always refer to pictures first, of course.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    300 BLK can use the same lower as .223, right? Ammo is a lot harder to find than .308 from what I've seen though . . .

Yes, a 223/5.56 lower will work with the following common cartridges (and many more):
    • 22lr
    • 204 Ruger
    • 6mm AR Turbo
    • 9mm
    • 40s&w
    • 45acp
    • 223 WSSM
    • 243 WSSM
    • 25 WSSM
    • 458 Socom
    • 6.5 Grendel
    • 6.8 SPC
    • 30 OSSM
    • 300 AAC Blackout
    • 50 Beowulf
    • 450 Bushmaster

The AR10/308 size lower will work with:
    • 243 Win
    • 7mm-08
    • 260 Rem
    • 6.5 Creedmore

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes I'm thinking of the one for closer range stuff.. CQB, zombies, maybe deer... holographic with a magnifier that is easy to remove or whatever.... and a longer SPR type of setup for the .308 for bigger game or whatever at longer ranges.. I realize parts are hard to come by, but I have no problem being a little patient to get what I really want. :)

Top Bottom