• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I would recommend using two single carriers vs. a double to allow for more flexibility in placement and better access to the individual mags. Raven makes good stuff, but you should also look at Blade-Tech, Sidearmor, RM Holster Works, Ready Tactical and Comp-Tac, in no particular order.

For that matter, anybody who makes Kydex holsters probably makes a Kydex AR mag carrier as well. :dunno:

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Well, I gues I should be a little more clear. I'm not nessarily looking for kydex, unless thats the suggested way to go. I'm more looking for what others use for that same setup without spending to much. Now, if the raven system is the way to go, then I guess I'll just have to save up a little longer. I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck.

Thanks!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    not nessarily looking for kydex, unless thats the suggested way to go.

That's the way I'm suggesting you go. ;)

That said, if I'm doing AR stuff, I'm probably wearing my MOLLE "War Belt". It has a DBT short mag pouch on it that can accommodate either an AR or an AK mag. I don't own any dedicated/Kydex carbine mag carriers, b/c I swap between platforms so frequently.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    As suggested, you want a MOLLE belt (attachment system, not brand). This will allow you to attach any sort of pouch you'd like, including AR, AK, or pistol mags, flashlights, jimmy-hats, or whatever else you can think of.

I prefer non-kydex, esp. if you ever think you'll go prone. Regular double pouches with a nylon divider work just fine for me and don't rattle. I prefer to carry at least 4 AR mags and 2 or 3 pistol mags.

You can also buy a compatible or modify a vest later on with some downward buckles to attach the belt and have the vest function as suspenders.

I used a Blade-tech AR mag carrier in a carbine/pistol class.

Will it work with P-mags? Looks like GI style only.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been using Blade-Tech AR mag carriers since they became available. The newer, injection molded version is inexpensive ($1795 when I bought mine; probably a little over $20 now), works very well, and has an added benefit: it's one of the few kydex AR mag carriers that is ambidextrous. Not a big deal unless you decide to change the way you wear you mags on your belt (bullets forward or to the rear), and you don't have to get new gear.

Oh, and they work with Pmags just fine. If the Pmag fits in the magwell of your rifle, it will fit in a Blade-Tech mag carrier. I used nothing but ten different Pmags a few weeks ago with my Blade-Tech carriers.

In general, open top kydex mag carriers mounted on your belt are the fastest to use. Retention is adequate unless you're jumping out of airplanes or something similarly rigorous.

I also have a couple of Ready Tactical mag carriers that work well, but they don't surrender the magazine as easily as do the Blade-Techs. The same goes for the nylon pouch from the Wilderness that I have. It's also ambidextrous, but unless you use it a lot or leave a magazine in it all the time, it can give you a turbo wedgie when you try to pull a magazine. It's something you can wear on your belt all the time, though, in case you think you might need to stuff a spare in it and don't have time to "gear up."

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I sorta like the MOLLE setup. I have a triple mag pouch, which are actually doubles for a total of 6 (for 180 rounds). The double mag pouches I use are staggered so that the outboard one is slightly lower than the inboard one (next to the belt). Then, in addition to these I have 2 double pouches for pistol mags, for a total of 4 (for 48 rounds). Then everything gets put into a dump pouch.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Thank you guys for some great information. I'm saving up to take a carbine course, and just trying to get the equipment that I'll need a little at a time. If there is any other suggestions on equipment that I might want to look into, I'll greatly appreciate the info!

Top Bottom