• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Im building a 300 blackout pistol with a 9-10.5 inch barrel (haven't made up my mind yet) and am using a fixed stock buffer tube and Sig brace for balance. My question is what buffer and spring would I use? I will eventually be suppressing it and running sub and super sonic ammo. Im assuming Id use a rifle length spring but are there different weight springs? Do I need a carbine or heavy buffer? So much to learn building franken ARs! ;) If you could, can you also explain why Id use one over the other so I may learn more? Thanks ahead of time!

sipherblitz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Greenwood
    springs are usually the same more or less.. the buffer weight is where most changes will occur. Unfortunately I haven't built a blackout gun so I can't give you specifics. go to you local gun shop and start asking some questions.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Well my Google fu improved and now my question is do I use a rifle buffer and spring or use a spacer and carbine setup and which buffer?

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I think you need the rifle buffer for the increased length in the tube.

Edit:I cannot find the post I read that addressed this.

Last edited:

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    From what Im reading elsewhere, I have to use the rifle spring. As far as buffer I think I can use any carbine buffer, you just cant use a rifle buffer in a carbine tube. Bad things happen. The diameters are all the same, the rifle buffer weighs in at 5 oz. while carbine buffers weigh in anywhere from 2.6 to 5.8 (ish) oz.

Now that Im getting parts in hand, I may have to rethink this. The rifle tube screws all the way to the receiver so I cant use the endplate I wanted and still have the tube retain the buffer retainer plunger. I may have to sell some new parts and just settle for the KAK tube. Its only an inch shorter. (That's what I tell her!) :cool::cool::cool:

Top Bottom