• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ClarkJr26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    or would I be better off with a mini14 conversion project? I want a semi auto hi-cap 223/556 for the lowest cost possible that has the ability to hit a target 300 yards+ , I am not fixed on any particular brand so I am open to many options. all opinions appreciated

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Building your own AR is almost always the cheapest option. I'm not 100%, but I believe you could get it done for under $500. Not sure if a build like that would be cable of very accurate fire at 300+ yards though...

PINski1015

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Cyberspace
    Friend's dad who's a Leo and a wheeler and dealer built a bare bones carbine with an RRA lower and a no name upper for right at 500$ Me and my buddy go shoot it and it's been 100% functional.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    <$500 would be pushing it. if you wait till $50 Palmentto lowers are available again and get one of their build kits you would be close but still over.

16'' M4 CMV, Chrome-lined, Rifle Kit - Rifle Kits - AR-15

you would be around $550 with transfer of the lower and shipping. you would still need mags, ammo, and a rear sight.

Good thing I scrolled down before replying. I had this in mind from the title. I'm tempted to build that one just to get a build out of the way (I picked up 2 PSA lowers during a sale). Might talk myself out of it to hold out for the mock dissipator.

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    You can pick up a complete Plum Crazy AR lower for about $120. Then you could pick up a budget upper for about $350-$400, and you're coming in right about your price point. I've never used a Plum Crazy Lower, but there are lots of reviews on the internet, both good and bad. Personally, would I want it for my only AR? No. However, I've been considering picking one up for a lightweight or dedicated .22 build.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    My gunsmith had a Plumcrazy lower that he let me fondle and I was pleasantly surprised. We had 3 different uppers on hand, and all 3 fit very tightly, no play what so ever. Now every service-grade M16 I ever fired was as rickety as an old wheel barrow, but I could still hit targets at 300+. But some people put alot of stock in the fit of the upper and lower.

The trigger on it was nice. It broke cleanly, very little creep, although I can not remember how many lbs.

If you want to build a complete rifle for under 500, the Plumcrazy lower is where to start. It may not be the look that you want, but it will do the job:twocents:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    you could probably do under $500 if you use a Plum Crazy lower and buy a used upper or a lower quality new upper.

But with PSA putting out quality M4s for about $600, why even mess with the lesser quality stuff?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yes it is possible to build an Ar for less than 500, if you have time on your side. Buy that I mean if you have no problem waiting to use. Buying looking for sales at the various suppliers you can save a considerable amount on the build parts prices.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

How much time do you have on your hands?

If this is a hard budget that you have...but have unlimited time....you CAN probably do it.

But if you want it done sooner than later, you'll probably have to up your budget a bit.

If you want to build just to build...have at it. But at $600 for a complete decent quality rifle (like LPman mentioned above....but they're out of stock right now), it might be worth buying one and save the build for later?

-J-

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If you are wanting just one rifle or are trying to get stuff on the cheap I would not build it myself. You have to think about tools too, buying the tools you should have adds more to the bottom line and basically puts you into new complete gun territory.

I have a PSA rifle and its been great on everything but steel cased ammo. I think that is just a break in issue and will go away. But you can also find a DPMS for under $600 if you look and those are fine for a plinker too. My DPMS sportical has been 100% on everything including steel cheap garbage ammo.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    A mini-14 is going to be over $500 too though? It will have issues hitting targets at 300 yards too. Find a .223 Saiga for $300 and convert it. You could do that for at or under $500. It will not be as accurate as a good AR but it will not be too far behind.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Delaware Mach. stripped lower after transfer fee $80
    DPMS LPK $50
    Used A1 stock complete with buffer & tube $25
    Used complete A2 upper ( Colt barrel ? upper) $225
    BCG $100
    Total $480
    If you don't mind buying some used components it's easy to do. I only have 150 yrds to shoot but I can keep them on the life sized steel all day long.
    Shop around at some local shops for deals
    Pics in my album here on INGO

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    or would I be better off with a mini14 conversion project? I want a semi auto hi-cap 223/556 for the lowest cost possible that has the ability to hit a target 300 yards+ , I am not fixed on any particular brand so I am open to many options. all opinions appreciated

It is very possible.

Just watch the large forums like AR15.com for used parts and new (want to sell by individual) parts and you'll save big.

Just have cash ready.

I've just built an LMT upper for $300.

Palmetto is always having a $50 stripped lower sell.
    They sell their brand of parts kits for $80 ish.

Is is very viable, and possible.

You can buy a new palmetto gun for very cheap these days too.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    plum crazy

I started out with a plumb crazy and I recommend one.
    I cannot find a complete [ stock, lpk, lower] for less.
    I think after tax and all it was 120-130.

Itsa deal just for the 6 position tapco stock and buffer.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    :rolleyes:Isnt this what we all say???? and then we end up with a 1000+ rifle

my buget build started on a $50 lower a lower palmetto build kit, spikes dissy model 16in chrome upper $590 with hand guards, topped with a aim point sight $600bucks think im aright around $1200-$1300 with mine mags and all----ammo not included:( maybe a little less i cant remember

Top Bottom