• ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Alright guys I'm torn.

The reason I didn't post this in Long Guns is because I am torn between building an AR pistol and a DMR/SPR/Coyote Rifle.

Some details:
    I already have a 16" midlength patrol type rifle, and a 20" basic M16A3 style rifle. Current build wise I already have a complete lower, minus the buffer tube/stock set up and a stripped Anderson upper receiver. I also have a Primary Arms Micro Dot with absolute co-witness riser, and a Cabela's marked 3-12x40 scope that was taken off of my Remington 700. So either build I have the necessary optics/mounts.

The original plan was to do a 10.5" pistol with the Thordsen Customs Enhanced Pistol Builders Buffer Tube kit, but after reading about the recent flip-flop on the SB15 Brace by the ATF, I am not as enthused about building a pistol. Yea I know, build with the intent to build a pistol and it's not technically illegal to shoulder it, or pay the man and SBR it, but that's not what this question is about.

After watching Lone Survivor (Mk12 SPR's used), combined with the slight worry of the recent ATF flip, I started looking into a DMRish/SPRish/Coyote gun. I love the looks of the Mk12 SPR and had previously thought of owning something similar.
    Problem is I don't often shoot long range (100yds generally) and I don't hunt coyote. I am really hoping to get into coyote hunting after I move down to Indy this summer, but I don't really know how easily I will be able to as I don't know much about it, or know anyone with land.

In this case I was thinking of putting a Green Mountain or Odin Works 18" SS Barrel on it, in keeping with the SPR theme.

What say you guys? What do you think would be a more worth while build? What would most of you rather have?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Alright guys I'm torn.

The reason I didn't post this in Long Guns is because I am torn between building an AR pistol and a DMR/SPR/Coyote Rifle.

Some details:
    I already have a 16" midlength patrol type rifle, and a 20" basic M16A3 style rifle. Current build wise I already have a complete lower, minus the buffer tube/stock set up and a stripped Anderson upper receiver. I also have a Primary Arms Micro Dot with absolute co-witness riser, and a Cabela's marked 3-12x40 scope that was taken off of my Remington 700. So either build I have the necessary optics/mounts.

The original plan was to do a 10.5" pistol with the Thordsen Customs Enhanced Pistol Builders Buffer Tube kit, but after reading about the recent flip-flop on the SB15 Brace by the ATF, I am not as enthused about building a pistol. Yea I know, build with the intent to build a pistol and it's not technically illegal to shoulder it, or pay the man and SBR it, but that's not what this question is about.

After watching Lone Survivor (Mk12 SPR's used), combined with the slight worry of the recent ATF flip, I started looking into a DMRish/SPRish/Coyote gun. I love the looks of the Mk12 SPR and had previously thought of owning something similar.
    Problem is I don't often shoot long range (100yds generally) and I don't hunt coyote. I am really hoping to get into coyote hunting after I move down to Indy this summer, but I don't really know how easily I will be able to as I don't know much about it, or know anyone with land.

In this case I was thinking of putting a Green Mountain or Odin Works 18" SS Barrel on it, in keeping with the SPR theme.

What say you guys? What do you think would be a more worth while build? What would most of you rather have?

Any interest in doing a sbr? Can keep the 10.5"(which is a good length IMHO) and you can build it as a pistol first. Yes, its $200 more and 7 months of waiting, but in the end, it's what you want without worrying about what the ATF will say/do next week.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Any interest in doing a sbr? Can keep the 10.5"(which is a good length IMHO) and you can build it as a pistol first. Yes, its $200 more and 7 months of waiting, but in the end, it's what you want without worrying about what the ATF will say/do next week.

Yea I've thought about it, but I don't think I really want to get into NFA until further down the road. The idea is really cool, but I'm just not sure I want to get into it yet. I work part time, live with my parents, have student loan payments, and don't know how much money I will be making when I move to Indy with my girlfriend in July, so $200 for a stamp at this point in time isn't logical for me. I'd rather have something on the rifle to show for the extra $200. Since I'm already saving money on the build since I have optics and mounts, I'd much rather have those costs go to student loans.

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    If I were to go the SPRish route this is pretty much exactly what it would look like (pulled from ARfcom), but I would add OD MBUS on the front and rear.

et8v2x.jpg

I think that looks awesome.

Anyone know what quad rail that is? It looks like it has rear and more forward QD sling points which would be nice.

Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    Go sbr I've heard time after time guys would rather have their sbr than anything. It's what I'm doing next with a suppressor so im diving into the nfa. Do it now while you don't have kids and a wife! You can always make more money but you responsibilities will become greater and greater.do it now or you won't have the opportunity again till later in life. Ask me how I know

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    If you do sbr make a trust. I made sure my lowers were transferred as pistols..

I would do a 7.5 or 10 in 300 blackout pistol with a sig brace. Have the lower transferred as a pistol and engraved to reflect that.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Any interest in doing a sbr?

Electronic SBR is like a month now I think

If you do sbr

I figured this is what this would turn in to.

I have no plans of going SBR on this current build. MAYBE in the distant future. It's just not in the cards right now. I can't justify a few hundred extra dollars on various paperwork and permission slips. That's not what this was about in the first place.

That being said and keeping with my original question; with SBR out of the equation, out of an SPR or strictly pistol build, which would you guys rather have?

Either build the intended use is a range gun first and foremost, but with the hopes of being able to coyote hunt in the future, the practicality edge goes to SPR. Compactness and portability, as well as governed by carry laws, making transport more cut and dry, obviously goes to pistol.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Don't go shorter than 10.5 on a 5.56. That's the bare minimum. 14.5 is really about as short as you should go. Even though you say you are on a budget, I would really suggest a short 300 blackout. Since you already have a 5.56. Just buy a couple mags worth of blackout.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I say do the SPRish build now. I have a 7.5" SBR which I love, and have a couple 16" ones. I'll say I tend to grab the SBR every time I shoot. I'm currently am building a SPR (18" rainier match barrel, still adding the rest of the parts). In my mind I want a small one, a medium, and a long one! I think you'll have the most money tied up into an SPR, so I'd do that one first. Might as well get it out of the way! A pistol or SBR is good too, but I'd wait. I have a 10.5" build in the wings too, but I'm just not as excited about it right now. I've been drooling over the mk12 looking rifles for the past few months! Good luck!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I say do the SPRish build now. I have a 7.5" SBR which I love, and have a couple 16" ones. I'll say I tend to grab the SBR every time I shoot. I'm currently am building a SPR (18" rainier match barrel, still adding the rest of the parts). In my mind I want a small one, a medium, and a long one! I think you'll have the most money tied up into an SPR, so I'd do that one first. Might as well get it out of the way! A pistol or SBR is good too, but I'd wait. I have a 10.5" build in the wings too, but I'm just not as excited about it right now. I've been drooling over the mk12 looking rifles for the past few months! Good luck!

So what really makes up a MK12? Most of the combat AR's I see have quad rails which I don't like. Is that a necessity to make a MK12 looking rifle? My next build is probably going to be with an 18" barrel, fixed MOE Rifle Stock(or A2), pic rail, JP hand guards. Is that getting close? Or is it just my version of some frankengun?

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    So what really makes up a MK12? Most of the combat AR's I see have quad rails which I don't like. Is that a necessity to make a MK12 looking rifle? My next build is probably going to be with an 18" barrel, fixed MOE Rifle Stock(or A2), pic rail, JP hand guards. Is that getting close? Or is it just my version of some frankengun?

Mk12 are actually really specific, and definately out of my price range.

Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm looking at a looser definition of an SPR because it's not a specific set of specs.

Last edited:

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I dont have a perfect answer for what makes an mk12, I dont know tons about it. I'm sure there is a specific build sheet somewhere. I just know I like the "look", even if I dont know the specifics. There are a couple variations on the mk12 like the mod 1/ mod 0 I believe. "In my opinion", what makes an spr is the SPR contour barrel, PRI flip up front sight, and the muzzle device for the slip on Griffin over the barrel type suppressor. in my eyes thats what I think of when I think SPR. As far as handguards, I honestly dont know what is truly correct. I kinda like my gas block to hide under a rail, so despite likeing the PRI flip up front sight, i'd rather have the gas block covered up. in reality my budget doesnt allow much, so my build will be SPR"ish" haha. I'm thinking 18" barrel (Rainier), or any decent quality barrel, I dont particularly care if its SPR contour. As for the suppressor, the over the barrel Griffin types are sweet, but a bit spendy. I plan on going with a Saker down the road.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mk12 are actually really specific, and definately out of my price range.

Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm looking at a looser definition of an SPR because it's not a specific set of specs.

Thanks! Heck that's close enough to my build. It even has a hand guard similar to the one I am getting. I might even depart from my conservative side and paint it camo.;)

I am either going to get the WOA SPR 18" or the fluted version of it. I will use a gas block hidden under the rail since I will only have optics on this one. Just some kind of comp on the end. It should be fun.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have a
    7.5" sbr
    11.5" suppressed sbr
    three 16" (2 carbine, 1 midlength)
    18" SPR

I've had both SBRs in the pistol configuration while waiting for the Form 1 to clear and they never got taken out because they weren't any fun to shoot and I wasn't going to buy that fugly Sig brace. During that time I loved the precision shooting with my 18" SPR. Once the stamps got approved, the SBRs were the favorites and still are.

If you don't reload and the cost of factory 300blk bothers you, stick with 5.56. Where's the fun in having a rifle you can't afford to shoot on a regular basis?

You can build an mk12 style rifle but a true mk12 has very specific parts made by specific companies. Mega makes a nice 18" barrel guaranteed to shoot sub moa with match ammo for around $256 last time I checked.

Top Bottom