• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    I just received my PSA 'premium' barreled upper with a Midwest Industries free float handguard/rail installed. The first thing I noticed is that the handguard was not tight to the receiver and could wiggle a couple degree's in either direction (ie it seems to be finger-loose and rotation is only stopped by the gas tube). The handguard is not slipping on the barrel nut, rather the barrel nut itself is moving. Is this normal or did they not get the barrel nut tightened down before installing the gas tube? I assume the latter, but want another opinion before complaining to PSA. Thanks.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    The barrel nut should not move. If it does, do NOT fire it, but call PSA and try and get a hold of someone down there to send you a return label. Or, if you have tools, tighten it yourself, or take it to your LGS and have them tighten it(assuming they can work on AR's).

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    They need to index the barrel nut one notch further. Make sure you do the proper 3 torque method if doing it yourself. It's very easy to disassemble/reassemble but if you can get PSA to send a return label, I'd go that route.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    For the warranty, send it back. This isn't the first time I've heard of people getting that upper and it not being tight.

I sent Palmetto State Armory a PM with a link to this thread.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's input. I really like this upper and handguard combo, I just want it to be assembled correctly. As long as they make it right, not a big deal.

dunningben

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Bremen, IN
    I've ran across that same issue on brand new Colt uppers, military, and they would gauge just fine but wouldn't hold a group for ****. We had to go back a rebarrel 9 M4's because of this. Quality Control in the past 10 years has defiantly declined for Colt but some how their prices keep going up.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    After rereading your post, it looks like somebody forgot to torque the nut properly. If somebody has a MI wrench, it should not be too hard to correct but you might be best to contact PSA either way.

Palmettos

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. If you would be so kind as to send me a PM with your order number, I can send you a return label for warranty repair.

YETB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Indy - West
    +1 to PSA for actually responding to service inquiries. I (also) just purchased a PSA upper with an MI rail - and had a question about it, and they were very fast to respond to that as well.

Top Bottom